2024 F Liam McNeeley Decommits from Indiana

1 hour ago, ForHumanity said:

Please, when referring to Woody, can you use the term Woodcock.

all joking aside, it has bothered me since day 1 that fans call him Woody.  yes, i am old school, but he should be Coach Woodson if we respect him.  we don't know him personally.  i mean Woody is a cool nickname that his buddies call him, but I just think about someone calling Coach Knight "Monty" or "Ace" or something like that.  just wouldn't be done.  

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

This sucks and will continue to suck but CBB has changed - this is only half of roster construction these days.  Fluidity is the name of the game.  

This is incorrect man. High school recruiting is still important and more than half of the equation for roster construction. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is incorrect man. High school recruiting is still important and more than half of the equation for roster construction. 

And this is just a flat out horrible look for IU.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

all joking aside, it has bothered me since day 1 that fans call him Woody.  yes, i am old school, but he should be Coach Woodson if we respect him.  we don't know him personally.  i mean Woody is a cool nickname that his buddies call him, but I just think about someone calling Coach Knight "Monty" or "Ace" or something like that.  just wouldn't be done.  

"What's up Knight?"

• Haha 6

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am not sure we are disagreeing...? My intended point was HS recruiting is not the be all end all any longer.  I used a crude reference of 50/50 of portal / HS, and sure maybe it's 30/70, but the broader point was that we all need to change our thinking.

and I'm a Woodson out guy, for the record, just saying I think some (not all) are applying a framework of past roster building to current realities, when it just doesn't fit

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I am not sure we are disagreeing...? My intended point was HS recruiting is not the be all end all any longer.  I used a crude reference of 50/50 of portal / HS, and sure maybe it's 30/70, but the broader point was that we all need to change our thinking.

and I'm a Woodson out guy, for the record, just saying I think some (not all) are applying a framework of past roster building to current realities, when it just doesn't fit

I know you're not a Woodson guy, but I also don't think we are saying the same thing. I think you have to have the foundation of your team built through high school recruiting. If you look at any of the teams we want to be, that's what they're doing. 

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I know you're not a Woodson guy, but I also don't think we are saying the same thing. I think you have to have the foundation of your team built through high school recruiting. If you look at any of the teams we want to be, that's what they're doing. 

All of the projected 1 seeds have at least two 2024 high school recruits. Purdue has six. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The framework of rostering a team is a completely different animal now. Just like wanting to see IU teams like that of RMK's days. Those days are gone and are never coming back. Yes, it would be nice to have a foundation of HS recruits to work around, but many today want a 1 and done year. They are looking for programs that: Highlight their talents, get media attention, a nice paycheck and a playing format that will get them to the next level. Of course, this is the blue-chip stars.

The lower rated stars (the 4-year players with high BB IQ) should be the ones to fill the foundation of any roster. Sprinkle in some blue-chip players to elevate the talents of the 4-year player.

This will take a coach who is willing to adapt, know the type of talent he needs to move the team forward. The portal should be used to fill the holes or providing depth of role players.

To date: It seems this program needs to figure out how to recruit inside the state while trying to land blue chippers elsewhere (including international players).

The Liam loss should be an eye opener of where this program is at.

It has no identity; it has no incoming recruits, no formula for winning and it is leaderless.

• Like 1

As an IU fan, all the way back to remembering a few minutes, yet only SOME few minutes from 1974, I remain the eternal optimist. GD frustrated optimist, have you. I've had my show laces taken from me before, so I normally wait until suicide watch has ended, before I bring the fire.

The headlines, when we win the BTT this year and go to the S16 is gonna be pretty sweet. 

When Woody shows TJD video to Ware and he comes back. It'll be like double desert in A block.

When Tr3y and Leal come back, Its like extra yard time, in the sun.

When Mtaco takes that Sophmore (VO) JUMP and Jakai (finally healthy) uses 2 years of learned, mental Mr Miyagi BBall tricks and we pick up two gaurds in the portal

When Woody has Sparks go in, with the instruction that he want's 5 fouls (done with 4 F1's and one F2, in 3 minutes, that's worth a grand in my commissary account.

When liam wants back in, and we have moved on. That is Conjugal visit time.

This is gonna work out folks! We just need to call Saul! 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The landscape has changed, but not that much in terms of how you construct a successful, cohesive program. 

To me in the pros you build through the draft and fill your needs in free agency. To me it is the same here because you build your roster with recruiting high school kids and fill your needs in the portal.

I am just going off the top of my head but looking at PU, Houston, UCONN and Tennessee who all could be 1 seeds.  How many 5 star players are on these rosters. I know Castle at UCONN is but I don't know if there are any others. Also how many portal guys did they bring in this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me in the pros you build through the draft and fill your needs in free agency. To me it is the same here because you build your roster with recruiting high school kids and fill your needs in the portal.

I am just going off the top of my head but looking at PU, Houston, UCONN and Tennessee who all could be 1 seeds.  How many 5 star players are on these rosters. I know Castle at UCONN is but I don't know if there are any others. Also how many portal guys did they bring in this year.

UCONN had Spencer. 

Illinois had Domask and Guerrier. 

not many.  

40 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

As an IU fan, all the way back to remembering a few minutes, yet only SOME few minutes from 1974, I remain the eternal optimist. GD frustrated optimist, have you. I've had my show laces taken from me before, so I normally wait until suicide watch has ended, before I bring the fire.

The headlines, when we win the BTT this year and go to the S16 is gonna be pretty sweet. 

When Woody shows TJD video to Ware and he comes back. It'll be like double desert in A block.

When Tr3y and Leal come back, Its like extra yard time, in the sun.

When Mtaco takes that Sophmore (VO) JUMP and Jakai (finally healthy) uses 2 years of learned, mental Mr Miyagi BBall tricks and we pick up two gaurds in the portal

When Woody has Sparks go in, with the instruction that he want's 5 fouls (done with 4 F1's and one F2, in 3 minutes, that's worth a grand in my commissary account.

When liam wants back in, and we have moved on. That is Conjugal visit time.

This is gonna work out folks! We just need to call Saul! 

Dafuq you all laughing at?

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Illinois wasn't one of teams I mentioned 

Maybe I just heard someone online say it my bad. 

Tennessee had Knecht and Gainey.

Houston had Dunn and Cryer

Purduw had Jones. 

similar to what people have been saying the better teams have been using it to fill voices in their rosters.  The teams that add a lot typically fail.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Maybe I just heard someone online say it my bad. 

Tennessee had Knecht and Gainey.

Houston had Dunn and Cryer

Purduw had Jones. 

similar to what people have been saying the better teams have been using it to fill voices in their rosters.  The teams that add a lot typically fail.  

No problem, I was just thinking off the top of my head. Mainly was saying that the top teams weren't built around the portal or all one and done players.

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

UCONN had Spencer. 

Illinois had Domask and Guerrier. 

not many.  

If you look at players brought in this year, eh...

But Illinois has Shannon, Dainja, and Harmon along with Domask and Gurrier as transfers on their roster...

And UConn has Tristan Newton and Hassan Diarra as previous transfers as well ... 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If you look at players brought in this year, eh...

But Illinois has Shannon, Dainja, and Harmon along with Domask and Gurrier as transfers on their roster...

And UConn has Tristan Newton and Hassan Diarra as previous transfers as well ... 

different years.  Not just in one.  Woodson wants ready made players because he can’t develop worth a damn.  

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

different years.  Not just in one.  Woodson wants ready made players because he can’t develop worth a damn.  

I wouldn't say he hasn't developed any players. I would say how he has worked with Ware has been good. Also TJD got more rounded once Woodson got here.

• Like 4