2024 F Liam McNeeley Decommits from Indiana

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree with this, but McNeeley really screwed us regardless of the reasoning. Not necessarily "blaming" him, but the timing couldn't be worse. 

More of an overall tangent: 

I also think our fans are a bit delusional. Knight made IU great not the other way around. When his coaching style became passé the program slowly lost it's prestige. The last really good coach we had was Sampson. Since then we've hired marginal to mediocre, to whatever happened to Archie coaches. The recruiting strategy has been especially poor as well when compared to a school like PU (the strategy IU should have been doing for the past 20 years). And it seems like quality of coaching candidates gets worse every year. Overall point, the expectations are a bit out of whack with where the program is today. Woody isn't and never was the long term answer. The hope was he could get the program in a good position to hand it off. This season for a number of reasons, has not gone well. But in reality it's about 2-3 wins away from accomplishing what Woody only needed to do, keep it in a net positive position. He made a lot of mistakes this year. But Pearl or whomever might make some mistakes too. We can't light the torches every time a season starts to go sideways regardless of the coach or players. That being said, it's nearly impossible to bring him back if everyone leaves. The next few weeks will be wild. 

Don't count on any major change being made regardless of who stays or goes. This program has its heart set on being pathetic and miserable. Mcneely did what was best for him. We can't fault the kid for wanting to put himself in the best position to be successful. That certainly wasn't going to be at Indiana next season under Woodson.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't mean to defend him too much, but what was he supposed to do with this team? Have Cupps score 20 a night? X? There just weren't options. Certainly the roster is his fault, but he at least tried to get guys like Love and Knecht.

The problem is how hard did he try? He chose a trouble maker in X over a guy who would come in and control everything (who wanted to be here btw) and was the pure scorer we needed in love. He didn’t promise Knecht playing time yet when a guy is in the portal and 20 teams are after him saying I can’t promise you minutes is the most idiotic thing you can say to a kid who is transferring to boost his nba chances. If he would’ve put his ego aside for 1 month during recruiting our team would be wayyyyyy different and Liam wouldn’t have decommited. 

• Like 4

This offseason will determine CMWs future. They missed on big recruits last year and had zero backup plan. They were fortunate to get Ware and MM. Now they're at zero recruits for the next class. That leaves two options.

1. Convince Ware and some others to come back next season. 2. Hit a homerun in the portal with multiple legit players. 

No chance option 1 works. Ware is not returning and you expect others to transfer. So, it's the portal or nothing.

The good news is, you offer enough NIL money and you have a chance to work a miracle. But if you don't get it right and next season is worse than this season, it's the end of CMW.

CMW boasts of telling his assistants IU needed to go after the best players. Most agree. What may be his fatale mistake is having zero backup options for two straight years. 

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

See--- we're different. I'd root for Grayson Allen. 

I just don't like any of them.  His whole recruitment here was a troll job.  I would take the rest of their class but that kid can get bent.

30 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This is so spot on and as Schuman writes, it was purely a business decision. One of the best 3 point shooters in the country was going to be on a team with about the lowest 3 point volume in CBB. He's used to being surrounded by talent. He thought he'd be joined by Derick Queen and Boogie Fland. instead, he was going to be on an island. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m afraid the best case scenario for this decommitment is also a double edged sword.

Best case - Liam was told that Mgbako is coming back. BUT that’d mean MM will be playing the 3 again and Woody will be on the hunt for another starter at the 5 in the portal. 

15 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

"Symbolic loss" as they put it and it truly is. Not only is he a shooter they desperately need, but a gym rat hard worker, willing passer and willing defender. Everything an IU player used to be. They pin it squarely on IU's offensive system.

"He's a winner. He does all the necessary things on and off the floor, which you like," Woodson said Monday night on his radio show. "But I just like the fact that he competes. He likes to compete. He can shoot the ball. He can pass the ball. He handles the basketball. There's a lot of quality things that he does on the floor, and we're fortunate enough to get him."

"I just think it's going to be a major plus for our program because he can really shoot the basketball, and we don't really have that right now."

"It was something missing that we needed, and we got to go out and continue to find kids who can make shots," Woodson said.

IU assistant coach Brian Walsh was the primary recruiter for the Montverde Academy product, and his year-plus-long pursuit of McNeeley was ultimately enough to secure his commitment and eventual National Letter of Intent. "Brian Walsh did a hell of a job recruiting him," Woodson said. "He made the commitment to come (to IU) after a lot of schools were trying to get him. 

I wonder what Walsh is thinking now. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

"Symbolic loss" as they put it and it truly is. Not only is he a shooter they desperately need, but a gym rat hard worker, willing passer and willing defender. Everything an IU player used to be. They pin it squarely on IU's offensive system.

"He's a winner. He does all the necessary things on and off the floor, which you like," Woodson said Monday night on his radio show. "But I just like the fact that he competes. He likes to compete. He can shoot the ball. He can pass the ball. He handles the basketball. There's a lot of quality things that he does on the floor, and we're fortunate enough to get him."

"I just think it's going to be a major plus for our program because he can really shoot the basketball, and we don't really have that right now."

"It was something missing that we needed, and we got to go out and continue to find kids who can make shots," Woodson said.

IU assistant coach Brian Walsh was the primary recruiter for the Montverde Academy product, and his year-plus-long pursuit of McNeeley was ultimately enough to secure his commitment and eventual National Letter of Intent. "Brian Walsh did a hell of a job recruiting him," Woodson said. "He made the commitment to come (to IU) after a lot of schools were trying to get him. 

I wonder what Walsh is thinking now. 

I just hope we don’t lose Walsh. He’s been the one big bright spot on the staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem is how hard did he try? He chose a trouble maker in X over a guy who would come in and control everything (who wanted to be here btw) and was the pure scorer we needed in love. He didn’t promise Knecht playing time yet when a guy is in the portal and 20 teams are after him saying I can’t promise you minutes is the most idiotic thing you can say to a kid who is transferring to boost his nba chances. If he would’ve put his ego aside for 1 month during recruiting our team would be wayyyyyy different and Liam wouldn’t have decommited. 

I was thinking about that last night. What if we had landed Love, Knecht, and kept Bates....

I'm of course assuming we actually change styles too, but a lineup of Love, Galloway, Bates, Knecht, and Ware would be the most unstoppable offense in the country if we played the right way. 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I was thinking about that last night. What if we had landed Love, Knecht, and kept Bates....

I'm of course assuming we actually change styles too, but a lineup of Love, Galloway, Bates, Knecht, and Ware would be the most unstoppable offense in the country if we played the right way. 

"What if"   "Assume"  :)

43 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To expand on your point, I don't think we all even fully realize what a weapon and difference maker Ware is at the 5 spot in college basketball, and IU has completely mismanaged the roster around him. 

• Like 8

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yes exactly! His infatuation with XJ and his Ego really ruined something special this year. He says he wants to bring IU back to glory but yet he’s not putting the true effort in to do that. My mentor is an assistant basketball coach at UNF and has stage 4 cancer and still shows up to work, goes out recruiting, etc all in between chemo treatments. He texted me when I asked if he was coming back next year and his exact quote to me was “Not sure…might be coming to an end. Have to really think about it after the season. College coaching takes so much energy to be successful. Don’t want to stop but also don’t want to kill myself doing it” he earned everything given to him considering he didn’t play college basketball. That right there tells you the commitment it takes and Woodson is taking his job for granted and ruining everything in the process. This is kids futures, assistant coaches chances to get promoted, fans that don’t have long to live to enjoy one last ride, he is so pre occupied with his way of doing things and being lazy that he doesn’t take any of that into consideration. It’s mind blowing and frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To expand on your point, I don't think we all even fully realize what a weapon and difference make Ware is at the 5 spot in college basketball, and IU has completely mismanaged the roster around him. 

Oh my goodness, Ware is the ideal modern 5. I would take him over any 5 we've ever had, every single year for the rest of time. His skillset is completely perfect for what you want in a modern big man. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh my goodness, Ware is the ideal modern 5. I would take him over any 5 we've ever had, every single year for the rest of time. His skillset is completely perfect for what you want in a modern big man. 

I would take him or Senior year TJD. Both are Game changers

• Like 3

I mean, is anyone shocked that this is where we are at w/ Woodson? I’m not…I was dearly hoping this wouldn’t come to this despite the multiple red flags the first couple of years. You could see this coming a mile away. He inherited an older group…once they left, poof! We’re a shell of what we should be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1