NCAAF/National Scene

rico

Urban might wait for Auburn. Much better recruiting area, and bigger recruiting and NIL budgets. Nebraska is going to require a specific recruiting blueprint and ability to develop players into a system. A Midwestern guy that embraces the Nebraska culture would be ideal. Urban would make a big splash, but not sure he'd be in it for the long haul.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

And I am asking why UCLA?

Because it's UCLA....regardless of the dump they are now it's still UCLA. One name I was just told getting my miles in from an Ohio St guy close to Urban....he said keep your eye on Arizona St. I said what? He goes....easiest academic requirements going which means everyone can get in, Tempe is year round beautiful...and an Administration and President tiring on Herm Edwards. He said it could be a little sleeping giant out there where Urban could hide out all year long and show up for the playoffs once they expand to 12.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Because it's UCLA....regardless of the dump they are now it's still UCLA. One name I was just told getting my miles in from an Ohio St guy close to Urban....he said keep your eye on Arizona St. I said what? He goes....easiest academic requirements going which means everyone can get in, Tempe is year round beautiful...and an Administration and President tiring on Herm Edwards. He said it could be a little sleeping giant out there where Urban could hide out all year long and show up for the playoffs once they expand to 12.

Maybe true, but I love Herm Edwards...

Guys like him and Mike Singletary can't coach in today's game... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My guy on the Monon said it was done yesterday....I rarely get information but this one was done quickly. They will go after Urban.

Per CBS and their "crack" staff:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arizona-state-coaching-candidates-matt-rhule-byron-leftwich-dan-mullen-lead-options-to-replace-herm-edwards/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Anyone got ESPN+.  I'm curious us to where we rank in this.  We aren't 33rd.  The story shows us Coastal Carolina.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34617518/ranking-college-football-33-unbeaten-teams-three-weeks

We are...

Drum roll...

More drums...

Getting another drumstick...

Oh shit, the snare cracked...

Fixing it...

More roll 'o the drumming...

#32.

Bah dum dum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

We are...

Drum roll...

More drums...

Getting another drumstick...

Oh shit, the snare cracked...

Fixing it...

More roll 'o the drumming...

#32.

Bah dum dum.

Crap.  I expected to be near the bottom, but never dreamed that we would only be ahead of Coastal Carolina.

On the bright side, Purdue isn't listed at all because, you know, the story isn't about 1-2 teams.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

AZ ST is a party school, with easy admissions, that cares nothing about major sports. Picture a giant Ball State, with a huge on-line enrollment (they advertise in the Midwest for on-line students). 

On 9/18/2022 at 8:29 AM, rico said:

I do believe that the Huskies "skip" USC and Utah this year.  And iirc they do play at Oregon.  That being said, the schedule is there for Washington to have a CFP season.  The question will be can Penix stay healthy.

Huskies have huge year under DeBoer and Nebraska is going to be making a phone call to him/his agent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

I would image so.  But I can't help but wonder if it would be in DeBoer's best interest to remain at Washington and in the Pac-12?

He could be totally happy there.  We all imagine guys want an inside track to the CFP because we know head coaches have huge egos.  But we really don't know.  Certainly the changing college football landscape makes these guys decisions more difficult, but he might like where he is just fine.  We're all speculating.

• Like 1

Just now, jv1972iu said:

He could be totally happy there.  We all imagine guys want an inside track to the CFP because we know head coaches have huge egos.  But we really don't know.  Certainly the changing college football landscape makes these guys decisions more difficult, but he might like where he is just fine.  We're all speculating.

All being said I think it is safe to speculate that the Huskers would be interested in DeBoer.

• Like 1

A guy who might be looking for an upward move is Dave Clawson, from Wake Forest. The ACC is certainly declining in stature, and he will never get the Deacons over the Clemson/Florida St./Miami hurdle.

He's 55, so this would probably be his last big move in an attempt to play in a conference with better inroads to the playoffs. He certainly would warrant a step-up in salary vs. what he's currently being paid at Wake. He has done a great job getting a moribund program to be ranked. I could see him revitalizing Nebraska.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://theathletic.com/3584047/2022/09/20/nebraska-football-coach-candidates-scott-frost/

Wonder how Nebraska fans would feel about these 3 guys.

Seems like a very solid list. Leipold, Campbell, and O'Brien would all do well there. They would all appear to be a good culture fit and probably view Nebraska as a destination job.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://theathletic.com/3584047/2022/09/20/nebraska-football-coach-candidates-scott-frost/

Wonder how Nebraska fans would feel about these 3 guys.

Hiring Leipold would be absolutely reckless, regardless of his past ties to the school and state. That said, I couldn’t care less about what they do. They can’t recruit Texas/Oklahoma anymore. The program is becoming a fossil.