NCAAF/National Scene

rico

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Surely to goodness they didn't fire Chryst over his record.

It's a tough business.

From a Madison TV station:

"Chryst joined Wisconsin from Pittsburgh before the 2015 season and lead the Badgers to seven straight bowl game appearances, winning six of them. He won the Big Ten West three times, but could never do enough to win a Big Ten Championship.

The 2022 season has started roughly for Wisconsin. An upset from Washington State and two blowout losses in a row to Ohio State and Illinois have the team sitting near the bottom of the conference standings."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Surely to goodness they didn't fire Chryst over his record. 

If that's why then Wisconsin has some unrealistic expectations.

67-26 in 7+ seasons...

I remember when Wisconsin was the doormat of the Big 10 in both football AND basketball... 

Yeah, I'd say the expectations in Madison have changed... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

67-26 in 7+ seasons...

I remember when Wisconsin was the doormat of the Big 10 in both football AND basketball... 

Me too, unfortunately we have taken their place. At least they have the balls to make changes. Allen is not/never has been a good/great coach. He has great enthusiasm but that does not translate to wins. Dolson screwed up big time with the contract extension and now Indiana fans have to suffer through several more losing seasons before a change is made and then we have go through another rebuild. To bluntly put it, Indiana Football sucks. Always has and always will!

Edited by jefftheref
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

67-26 in 7+ seasons...

I was at the game when AT ran for over 340 yards v the Badgers. Camp Randall was more empty than Memorial Stadium. I was at the old field house in the early 90’s when Calbert, et al ran roughshod over them.

UW had a great AD and alum in Pat Richter. He made a fortuitous hire in Barry Alvarez. I know enough about BA that I don’t respect him, but he was the right guy for the job, and he has built a tree of coaches who will keep UW successful. 

IU needs to find their Barry Alvarez. 

It can be done 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was at the game when AT ran for over 340 yards v the Badgers. Camp Randall was more empty than Memorial Stadium. I was at the old field house in the early 90’s when Calbert, et al ran roughshod over them.

UW had a great AD and alum in Pat Richter. He made a fortuitous hire in Barry Alvarez. I know enough about BA that I don’t respect him, but he was the right guy for the job, and he has built a tree of coaches who will keep UW successful. 

IU needs to find their Barry Alvarez. 

It can be done 

That probably was going to be coach Hep

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IU needs to fix the AD office first. Instead of fixing the issues of the Fred Glass era, they doubled down with Dolson, a company man and fundraising gladhander. They needed an experienced AD. Dolson wouldn’t have gone anywhere. He would have stayed in his old job. 

So, IU needs to find their Pat Richter.

Chris Reynolds?

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IU needs to find their Pat Richter.

It actually started before him, with the newly named UW-Madison chancellor Donna Shalala.  She turned UW sports around.

She identified and pursued Pat Richter.  He said no.  More than once.  So Donna Shalala recruited Pat Richter's wife.  Came at it from that angle.  Talked about his legacy, how important change would mean to the university.  She would not take "no" for an answer.

Pat Richter finally said yes, and things started rolling. 

She was determined to make UW sports great.  Because it was financially smart to do so.

That's what I haven't seen Indiana do.  Set winning as a priority by the people at the top, and having a plan to make it happen.  Be willing to make the investments required.

She may have gotten lucky in the eventual hires for both football and basketball.  It's not science, or everyone would do it.  But she made her own luck.

She was a master politician.  Later work included a cabinet position for the United States, President at the University of Miami, and being elected to the US House of Representatives.

She knew how to get things done behind the scenes.

So yeah, the entire BigTen got their football and basketball butts kicked for a generation by a 4'11" woman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

It actually started before him, with the newly named UW-Madison chancellor Donna Shalala.  She turned UW sports around.

She identified and pursued Pat Richter.  He said no.  More than once.  So Donna Shalala recruited Pat Richter's wife.  Came at it from that angle.  Talked about his legacy, how important change would mean to the university.  She would not take "no" for an answer.

Pat Richter finally said yes, and things started rolling. 

She was determined to make UW sports great.  Because it was financially smart to do so.

That's what I haven't seen Indiana do.  Set winning as a priority by the people at the top, and having a plan to make it happen.  Be willing to make the investments required.

She may have gotten lucky in the eventual hires for both football and basketball.  It's not science, or everyone would do it.  But she made her own luck.

She was a master politician.  Later work included a cabinet position for the United States, President at the University of Miami, and being elected to the US House of Representatives.

She knew how to get things done behind the scenes.

So yeah, the entire BigTen got their football and basketball butts kicked for a generation by a 4'11" woman.

Forgot about Donna. 

She was a presence when she was in Madison 

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m legitimately surprised by this and these days it’s hard to be surprised by anything.  

Jim Leonhard has long been touted as an up and coming coach so let’s see if he lights a spark there. 

Or is he the next Scott Frost?

I really don't think Chryst deserved his fate. 

2 or 3 years down the road, they could be sorry they did this... 

• Like 3

My Sconny buddies are all saying this is more about not losing Leonhard vs keeping Chryst. I don't know. When covid hit Barry was crying poverty and now they pay a guy $17M to leave after a month? Guess losing at home to your former coach (who is in year 2 of a rebuild) by 24 was the final nail.

• Like 3

I would love nothing more than to see UW sports and their obnoxious fanbase reside in the dumpster of the B1G. 

But they've lost to WSU, Ohio State, and Illinois who are a combined 13-2.  This might the most perplexing firing I've ever seen. It just seems totally undeserved. 

Although I'm sure Chryst will have a soft landing somewhere soon. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Doesn't matter what anyone does, nobody is beating Ohio State or occasionally Michigan for a B1G championship in football anytime soon. 

We've seen what happens first hand with high expectations.  It would be wise for UW to be content with what they have. 

Been that way as long as I've been alive...

In those 64 years, Ohio State or Michigan have either won or tied for the conference championship 47 times...

Big 2 and little 8 was what they called it back in the day... 

• Like 2