NCAAF/National Scene

rico

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Or is he the next Scott Frost?

I really don't think Chryst deserved his fate. 

2 or 3 years down the road, they could be sorry they did this... 

There has to be more to it. With his success and lifetime connection to the school, it just doesn't add up. Hard to see how you improve on what he did there.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

There has to be more to it. With his success and lifetime connection to the school, it just doesn't add up. Hard to see how you improve on what he did there.

You'd like to think so, but...

This article surmises that it's either an in season audition for Leonhard or a head start in the Lance Leipold sweepstakes...

If there was ever a "bird in the hand" scenario, this is it... 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Been that way as long as I've been alive...

In those 64 years, Ohio State or Michigan have either won or tied for the conference championship 47 times...

Big 2 and little 8 was what they called it back in the day... 

I think in my lifetime since 1970 of the original 10 of the big ten I have been 8 of those teams play in the Rose bowl. Only IU and Minnesota are the only ones not to win the conference

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think in my lifetime since 1970 of the original 10 of the big ten I have been 8 of those teams play in the Rose bowl. Only IU and Minnesota are the only ones not to win the conference

If only you'd have been born 3 years earlier, you could have struck another off the list...🙂

Damn OJ Simpson (for the second time today!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Read an article dated last year that chryst was set to make $5.25 million this year and earn an annual escalator of $100,000 starting 2023. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. 

If the McCaskeys owned Wisconsin football, you might be onto something... 

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

3 players from that IU Rose Bowl team, John Isenbarger, Harry Gonso, and EG White were supposed to speak at Martinsville Jr high that year. Only White showed. Pre NIL 🙂 

And I always thought Terry Cole was a better back than Isenbarger anyway... 🙂🙂

He probably was, however........

"Sigh",.... I had to re-read your post because I actually first read it as "only White players showed up". Coming from Martinsville, there has always been that negative persona of the KKK about the town, especially many decades ago. I never supported that belief then, nor will I EVER!  I don't live in Martinsville anymore and haven't since 1986. I believe it has changed drastically in that regard, at least what I have seen and heard, which is a great thing. 

Edited by Artesian_86

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Terry Cole was white as well... 

I grew up in Martinsville too. Some of the things said about the town were wrong (the Carol Jenkins murder is the most glaring example), but I can't say I never witnessed bigotry in the town...but I witnessed it in Indy, Franklin, and pretty much every town I lived in, in or out of Indiana... 

And I join you hoping things have changed there... 

I looked up the wrong player....lol. Yes I unfortunately witnessed it growing up. I remember when I was in middle school,....Martinsville did not celebrate MLK day and had to go to school. Other schools around, like Bloomington South and North did. Embarrassing and Unacceptable!

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I looked up the wrong player....lol. Yes I unfortunately witnessed it growing up. I remember when I was in middle school,....Martinsville did not celebrate MLK day and had to go to school. Other schools around, like Bloomington South and North did. Embarrassing and Unacceptable!

Didn't Martinsville get kicked out of a conference because of racism?  Or am I confusing them with another school?

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

In High School, we played both Martinsville and Bloomington North. In '97 we had a close game against North (who won that year's championship -- the last of single class basketball), the week before they went to play at Martinsville.

F&#$-ery ensued: https://www.espn.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-19980406-article28

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I didn't know people got MLK day off until I was in college. Just knew banks were closed. 

8 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

In High School, we played both Martinsville and Bloomington North. In '97 we had a close game against North (who won that year's championship -- the last of single class basketball), the week before they went to play at Martinsville.

F&#$-ery ensued: https://www.espn.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-19980406-article28

Yep, very sad. Ignorant and UNACCEPTABLE!🤬

My college room mate at IU was one of Kueth Dwany's AAU coaches. He was from Linton, Indiana.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

He probably was, however........

"Sigh",.... I had to re-read your post because I actually first read it as "only White players showed up". Coming from Martinsville, there has always been that negative persona of the KKK about the town, especially many decades ago. I never supported that belief then, nor will I EVER!  I don't live in Martinsville anymore and haven't since 1986. I believe it has changed drastically in that regard, at least what I have seen and heard, which is a great thing. 

I coached middle school football in the early 80's in Columbus, IN. I can tell you that my black players were terrified when we played in Martinsville, and I had to make sure that they always were with a group when going to the bathroom or whatever. At that level, there was no monitoring what the teams did. At the high school level, with state rankings and media coverage, this wasn't a problem.

Glad to hear that things have changed there. Sorry it took so long though.

• Like 1