NCAAF/National Scene

rico

13 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Hiring Leipold would be absolutely reckless, regardless of his past ties to the school and state. That said, I couldn’t care less about what they do. They can’t recruit Texas/Oklahoma anymore. The program is becoming a fossil. 

I wouldn't use the term "reckless" at all.  I prefer to call it "thinking outside the box."

3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

He’s won 5 games at Kansas. If he somehow takes this team to a winning season, maybe but I’d want more success than one year. They can end up 3-9 just as easily as they found themselves 3-0

I do believe his D-III coaching record is something like 109-6?  He very well might be a football version of Bo Ryan?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

He’s won 5 games at Kansas. If he somehow takes this team to a winning season, maybe but I’d want more success than one year. They can end up 3-9 just as easily as they found themselves 3-0

He also won 6 championships at UW-whitewater. Although a different level he knows how to win. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

I do believe his D-III coaching record is something like 109-6?  He very well might be a football version of Bo Ryan?

He took over a D3 program that had been to the national championship game the previous two seasons…not exactly a proven program builder, despite his success there. I’m sure there’s some Pop Warner coaches out there with +.950 records, lets see what they can do. How’s that for outside the box? Nebraska already took a flier hiring Frost after his “flash in the pan” success in a recruiting mecca like Florida. 
Leipold may turn out to be the next great FBS coach but the Bo Ryan comparison is irrelevant as is his D3 coaching record. Nebraska has the funds to hire an established guy and the program is on the brink of becoming the likes Kansas football. Hiring on perceived potential could be a death sentence. 

21 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

He took over a D3 program that had been to the national championship game the previous two seasons…not exactly a proven program builder, despite his success there. I’m sure there’s some Pop Warner coaches out there with +.950 records, lets see what they can do. How’s that for outside the box? Nebraska already took a flier hiring Frost after his “flash in the pan” success in a recruiting mecca like Florida. 
Leipold may turn out to be the next great FBS coach but the Bo Ryan comparison is irrelevant as is his D3 coaching record. Nebraska has the funds to hire an established guy and the program is on the brink of becoming the likes Kansas football. Hiring on perceived potential could be a death sentence. 

He also had 5 seasons at Buffalo. Which weren't too bad considering where he was. 

Who do you think Nebraska could realistically get?

Edited by mrflynn03

40 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Fair enough.

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

2021? Are you saying because he got hurt? 

Edited by btownqb

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

2021? Are you saying because he got hurt? 

I would think so.

He was the straw that stirred the drink in 2020.

His injuries in 21 (while not the only factor) were the stone that the giant snowball was built from.

His base-line talent level is so much higher than just about any QB we've had since Kellen Lewis.

8 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I would think so.

He was the straw that stirred the drink in 2020.

His injuries in 21 (while not the only factor) were the stone that the giant snowball was built from.

His base-line talent level is so much higher than just about any QB we've had since Kellen Lewis.

No question. I never agreed/ thought that he should have been benched last year. 

He undoubtedly started slow (coming back from his 3rd straight season ending injury) but yeah. 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

He also had 5 seasons at Buffalo. Which weren't too bad considering where he was. 

Who do you think Nebraska could realistically get?

Ask Purdue fans what happens when you hire a MAC coach with a couple good seasons…a decade later they’re still whining about the carnage. 
I’d be surprised if they couldn’t get Bill O’Brien if he wants to stay in the college ranks. I can’t imagine a guy like him enjoys taking orders from Saban. He also brings enough experience and clout for Nebraska to offer him full control of the program. 
Matt Campbell is a name that keeps popping up. Any coach in the Big12 not named Venables or Sarkisian should be up for grabs for any BigTen or SEC school.  
If Zac Taylor’s seat in Cincinatti gets hot as the season plays out, he may want to come home. His resume is void of any relevant college coaching experience so Nebraska would have to give him some rope to acclimate to the college game as well as a hefty budget to hire proven recruiters for his staff.
I have to imagine this is Nebraska’s last chance (if it even exists) to turn this program around so they’ll be going “all in” on this hire. Their saving grace may be the fact that it’s soon to be SEC, BigTen, ACC or bust for some of these top tier coaches that stand to find themselves on the outside looking in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Ask Purdue fans what happens when you hire a MAC coach with a couple good seasons…a decade later they’re still whining about the carnage. 
I’d be surprised if they couldn’t get Bill O’Brien if he wants to stay in the college ranks. I can’t imagine a guy like him enjoys taking orders from Saban. He also brings enough experience and clout for Nebraska to offer him full control of the program. 
Matt Campbell is a name that keeps popping up. Any coach in the Big12 not named Venables or Sarkisian should be up for grabs for any BigTen or SEC school.  
If Zac Taylor’s seat in Cincinatti gets hot as the season plays out, he may want to come home. His resume is void of any relevant college coaching experience so Nebraska would have to give him some rope to acclimate to the college game as well as a hefty budget to hire proven recruiters for his staff.
I have to imagine this is Nebraska’s last chance (if it even exists) to turn this program around so they’ll be going “all in” on this hire. Their saving grace may be the fact that it’s soon to be SEC, BigTen, ACC or bust for some of these top tier coaches that stand to find themselves on the outside looking in.

https://www.cornnation.com/2022/9/21/23360267/24-hour-rule-nebraska-football-thoughts-from-most-needed-bye-week-ever-huskers-scott-frost-chinander

• Like 1