North Carolina Pre-Game Thread

Hoosierfan1901

On 11/26/2022 at 11:21 AM, IUFLA said:

Here they come...the former :) Number 1 team...

They have a lot of talent, but so do we...I think Trayce matches up well with Bacot, and Race has guarded Nance plenty of times...A nice battle in the backcourt...I would imagine X on RJ Davis and JHS on Caleb Love. That leaves Kopp on Leaky Black.

As @IU Scottsaid, 5 guys who average more than 30 MPG so they don't play deep, but there is talent on the bench. They're not shooting the 3 well (31%) and they're not playing D like they did last year...Maybe Manek made that big of a difference? 

Love is their volume shooter. As long as he remains inefficient, that should benefit us. I like Bates and Galloway getting minutes on him to disrupt him. If X is on RJ, that leaves JHS on Love. That will be a big test for him.

• Like 1

Just now, Reacher said:

that leaves JHS on Love. That will be a big test for him.

I was thinking about that this morning...

JHS has been pretty solid on the defensive end, but he does get beat sometimes...Especially on the dribble/drive...He does close out well...

I don't think the environment will be a huge factor...Most of the UNC kids have played on the biggest stage so it might have some affect, but their team been there...

I think it boils down to us playing defense like we can, limiting turnovers, shooting FTs well, and rebounding on both ends...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

JHS has been pretty solid on the defensive end, but he does get beat sometimes...Especially on the dribble/drive...He does close out well...

I don't think the environment will be a huge factor...Most of the UNC kids have played on the biggest stage so it might have some affect, but their team been there...

I think it boils down to us playing defense like we can, limiting turnovers, shooting FTs well, and rebounding on both ends...

Plus IU scoring more points than them....

(you left out one)...  😉

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I like all the other matchups. Love vs JHS is more of the unknown. Would be great to see JHS break out of his shooting slump. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I understand what you're saying, they played in a championship game last year and have played at Duke, but.....

I think a rocking Assembly Hall takes the cake in terms of environment. You can see, even from what Hubert Davis said, that they think they'll be fine with the environment. But if it turns out to be a level up from what they're expecting to walk into, it may just throw them off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Anyone know what the earliest you can get into AH is on game day? Checked website and couldn’t find it. 

i'm sure someone here will give you the answer, but the best i can do is that my son played at UNCC at it was 90 minutes before game time.  i also found that it was 90 minutes before game time at Ohio St.

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm sure someone here will give you the answer, but the best i can do is that my son played at UNCC at it was 90 minutes before game time.  i also found that it was 90 minutes before game time at Ohio St.

90 minutes is pretty typical. That would be my assumption @Zville Hoosier, unless someone can confirm otherwise. 

53 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

90 minutes is pretty typical. That would be my assumption @Zville Hoosier, unless someone can confirm otherwise. 

Great, thanks @NCHoosier32 and @KoB2011, appreciate it and that sounds right to me. Taking my 12 year old boys who haven’t ever seen a true crazy AH environment so want to soak it all in! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand what you're saying, they played in a championship game last year and have played at Duke, but.....

I think a rocking Assembly Hall takes the cake in terms of environment. You can see, even from what Hubert Davis said, that they think they'll be fine with the environment. But if it turns out to be a level up from what they're expecting to walk into, it may just throw them off. 

I'd say that's a challenge from Hubie. Send UNC out of the ACC/B1G Challenge with an L and a new respect for what a home court can be.

• Like 2

Feel like this game could go either way. Both are really good teams capable of beating anyone on a given night. Can’t count out UNC just because they have been slumping. IU could play a great game a still lose.

Hope our shooters can make it rain from deep, and let our bigs go to work with extra room. Hope TJD isn’t hampered by his injury. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Feel like this game could go either way. Both are really good teams capable of beating anyone on a given night. Can’t count out UNC just because they have been slumping. IU could play a great game a still lose.

Hope our shooters can make it rain from deep, and let our bigs go to work with extra room. Hope TJD isn’t hampered by his injury. 

I think we'll play well but I'm worried about them having their game of the year.  Watch their guards.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Great teams typically don’t lose 3 games in a row. UNC wants to be a great team. We need to be prepared to take their best punch.

The question is are they a great team. They were a bubble team lady year but got hot at the right time. For Most of the year UNC fans were not happy with the job Davis was going.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The question is are they a great team. They were a bubble team lady year but got hot at the right time. For Most of the year UNC fans were not happy with the job Davis was going.

I just have a feeling they're going to have one of those miracle 14-18 nights from 3.  Kind of like UK going 35-37 from the stripe in that Sweet 16 game.  But yeah if they play like they have thus far this season I see IU winning by double digits.