Transfer Portal

DC2345

I know it's hard to sell a program with two back to back disappointing seasons, but man, recruiting new HS kids as well as portal players for next year may be a grind. Coach and Co. have their work cut out for them. I would think you have to showcase/sell the new OL coach and current players to build around. Not to mention, a lot of kids will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact, including playing time. Sometimes top kids just don't want to sit the bench for a year or two before they see the field. 

2 hours ago, IUskim said:

So I’m not going to say everything in here is 100% true but, thought it was an interesting read  

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/prized-recruit-dasan-mccullough-walked-but-indiana-coming-up-short-on-nil-money-not-only-reason-why

I can’t stand players like that! I don’t care how good they are. Those kind of “demands” or “requirements” to stay at IU makes him appear so superficial! I just can’t even….. This is starting to sound like the NFL. TERRIBLE and it most likely going to get worse!!!! 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I can’t stand players like that! I don’t care how good they are. Those kind of “demands” or “requirements” to stay at IU makes him appear so superficial! I just can’t even….. This is starting to sound like the NFL. TERRIBLE and it most likely going to get worse!!!! 

Yes it will: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2022/12/15/national-labor-relations-board-ncaa-pac-12-usc-athletes/10905458002/

53 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

While I don’t disagree with you it’s hard to blame the players.  If this is the landscape and people want to throw $300,000 at a kid why should he not make the most of it?  I have no doubt I would have at that age.  I somehow survived IU on nickel beer night and cheap Busch Lite Draft and Taco Bell because I didn’t have any money.  Lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

While I don’t disagree with you it’s hard to blame the players.  If this is the landscape and people want to throw $300,000 at a kid why should he not make the most of it?  I have no doubt I would have at that age.  I somehow survived IU on nickel beer night and cheap Busch Lite Draft and Taco Bell because I didn’t have any money.  Lol

The thing is, these kids will blow it. If he put that money in an average market fund, he could retire comfortable before he's 40 or so.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

College sports are over. These kids are now Pro's. They the players are treating it like it, with demands for money, using the portal as free agency. Its time the coaches start using it the same way. You aren't getting it done on the field, get your ass to the portal, you are done here. Scholly's are one season deals.

Deion Sanders in his first team meeting in Colorado told the whole team to get in the portal because he was coming with his own guys. lol.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IUskim said:

So I’m not going to say everything in here is 100% true but, thought it was an interesting read  

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/prized-recruit-dasan-mccullough-walked-but-indiana-coming-up-short-on-nil-money-not-only-reason-why

Tom Brew DMed me on Twitter and told me 100% Lane Kiffin was going to Auburn and that I shouldn't question the ethics of the reporter that broke the story... 

13 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

It's actually worse than the NFL.

NFL teams have some leverage in the form of a contract.

College kids can do whatever, whenever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

College sports are over. These kids are now Pro's. They the players are treating it like it, with demands for money, using the portal as free agency. Its time the coaches start using it the same way. You aren't getting it done on the field, get your ass to the portal, you are done here. Scholly's are one season deals.

Deion Sanders in his first team meeting in Colorado told the whole team to get in the portal because he was coming with his own guys. lol.

I know I talk about my Canes quite a bit but I'll chime in on what Mario Cristobal has done this offseason. Even with 2-3 weeks left in season he said he expected about 25 players either to be gone or shown the door. Said the kids all want the NIL stuff but don't want to put the work in to earn it/win,etc.....so he gave them the boot.

I can't fault any kid or player maxing out what a willing buyer/seller will pay.....but if you want to act like an adult be prepared to be treated like one including paying taxes. I see no way the IRS is going to stand pat on hundreds of millions of dollars without getting their hands on it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

It's actually worse than the NFL.

NFL teams have some leverage in the form of a contract.

College kids can do whatever, whenever.

Correct. As it said in the article, there was concern about paying up front. Nothing to prevent a player from taking the cash and walking anyway. This system can't work. The non-profit collective is making the decisions as to how much to offer the players. Also, IU, at least through Hoosiers for Good, is apparently tying this to requiring charitable work by the players. Paying players to do charity work. This is so messed up. 

"We want to do it the right away. That's always going to be the first rule at Indiana,'' Harris said during an interview. "I've known Coach Allen for a long time, and we are close personally, but we avoid specific NIL talks. There is never a time where Tom could say 'this player gets this much.' Those conversations never happen. They can't; it's the rules.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Correct. As it said in the article, there was concern about paying up front. Nothing to prevent a player from taking the cash and walking anyway. This system can't work. The non-profit collective is making the decisions as to how much to offer the players. Also, IU, at least through Hoosiers for Good, is apparently tying this to requiring charitable work by the players. Paying players to do charity work. This is so messed up. 

"We want to do it the right away. That's always going to be the first rule at Indiana,'' Harris said during an interview. "I've known Coach Allen for a long time, and we are close personally, but we avoid specific NIL talks. There is never a time where Tom could say 'this player gets this much.' Those conversations never happen. They can't; it's the rules.

They could put in clawbacks but good luck fighting that battle. You’ll spend more on legal fees than it’s worth. 

What they should have done, and could still do, is place the NIL monies into a trust to be delivered at a certain point. It could be multiple distributions. But something to delay the payment so the up-front cash/dash scenario will be less likely to occur. 

5 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

They could put in clawbacks but good luck fighting that battle. You’ll spend more on legal fees than it’s worth. 

What they should have done, and could still do, is place the NIL monies into a trust to be delivered at a certain point. It could be multiple distributions. But something to delay the payment so the up-front cash/dash scenario will be less likely to occur. 

That's assuming you don't get outbid by someone offering stupid upfront money. It's like free agency with no salary caps. 

This is all nonsense. You have the coaching staff attempting to re-recruit current players, but they can't discuss how much NIL money can be offered by outside non-profits that aren't controlled by the university. 

16 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That's assuming you don't get outbid by someone offering stupid upfront money. It's like free agency with no salary caps. 

This is all nonsense. You have the coaching staff attempting to re-recruit current players, but they can't discuss how much NIL money can be offered by outside non-profits that aren't controlled by the university. 

I meant the NCAA has to put in these stipulations universally. Claw-backs, trusts, etc. Unfortunately they dropped the ball and allowed this to be the Wild Wild West.  They can add language to be inclusive of the non-profits as well. But we all know the NCAA is about the worst run organization on the planet. So they likely won’t do a thing.