Transfer Portal

DC2345

50 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Think CTA has hit a rough patch with players leaving....Florida had 7 players hit the portal today!

Knock on wood, but if the worst has passed, the portal was semi rough, but players declaring for the draft was worse (imho). Let's be honest, once papa McCullough left, did any one realistically expect his kids to stay? Even if dad had stayed, the chances Dasan was graduating or declaring in an IU uniform were remote. The portal is a nasty business and it's going to damage college sports. One of the many arguments for changing the rule was athletes in non-revenue sports did not have restrictions on transfers. But it doesn't seem to be a real issue with those sports. You'd think some guys would just want free college and to be a big man on campus even if the team sucks. Most of these guys are not sniffing the pros. 41% won't find a new school, an NCAA school, or will leave the sport entirely. Going into the portal is a pretty risky business. If you look at IU's past transfers: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24040 most went to a much smaller school or nowhere at all. Which leads me to think it will be much the same with this round outside of a couple. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Knock on wood, but if the worst has passed, the portal was semi rough, but players declaring for the draft was worse (imho). Let's be honest, once papa McCullough left, did any one realistically expect his kids to stay? Even if dad had stayed, the chances that Dasan graduating or declaring in an IU uniform were remote. The portal is a nasty business and it's going to damage college sports. One of the many arguments for changing the rule was athletes in non-revenue sports did not have restrictions on transfers. But it doesn't seem to be a real issue with those sports. You'd think some guys would just want free college and to be a big man on campus even if the team sucks. Most of these guys are not sniffing the pros. 41% won't find a new school, an NCAA school, or will leave the sport entirely. Going into the portal is a pretty risky business. If you look at IU's past transfers: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24040 most went to a much smaller school or nowhere at all. Which leads me to think it will be much the same with this round outside of a couple. 

Man.. I hope this is the end of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Well, with the Brohm opting to leave Purdue for U of L,.....the transfer portal will get very interesting...... I'm sure we will seeing several players want to leave, especially not knowing who their new coach will be.

You'd think IU would be able to poach some Wisky, Cincy, Louisville and PU recruits. You'd think. I mean isn't that who IU is recruiting against? I guess the main issue is these programs are all shuffling within the same schools. So they'll probably be able to bring most recruits along with them. But some guys will use this as a way to go elsewhere. CTA etc should pounce on this stuff immediately.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BassmanIU said:

It's crazy....Florida had 10 4-stars and 1 5-star enter in the last 2 days.

Its not surprising to see the top schools, like these have large highly rated transfers.  If they are not playing or have a bad to the bone freshman coming in next year they see the writing on the wall.  This is going to happen every year for them.

Its going to happen for IU just as much, but i think the difference is the team losing high caliber starters or bench players that if at IU can't get time may not get time at a power 5.  I think it has been a mix for IU this year, but need to see the final list to decide for sure.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, OGIUAndy said:

You'd think IU would be able to poach some Wisky, Cincy, Louisville and PU recruits. You'd think. I mean isn't that who IU is recruiting against? I guess the main issue is these programs are all shuffling within the same schools. So they'll probably be able to bring most recruits along with them. But some guys will use this as a way to go elsewhere. CTA etc should pounce on this stuff immediately.

IU Football is jumping out at committed recruits from any school.