IUBB Off-season 2023

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

All the scouting reports I saw said he was at the very least adequate guarding the perimeter on switches... I'll take "almost as good as Trayce" (which was pretty damn good 😊) all day and twice on Sunday...

If he can recover and rim protect like TJD, all the better... 

Yeah I am not worried about Ware on the perimeter in terms of him switching things out there or guarding other bigs in space, I'm worried about our rim protection with him out there.

But yes, if he can recover to the rim like TJD then it should be fine. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it's important that Malik has taken a step forward guarding in space, too. I like the walker pickup because he does give us a four who can do that, but man, it'll be a bummer if teams can just neutralize Malik's offense because of what they can do on the other end (either getting him in foul trouble or getting easy buckets on him).

I know Ware probably can guard a little on the perimeter, but I think you're hurting the entire defense pulling him away from the rim if you do that. 

Absolutely, we need Reneau to be able to defend in space and ideally knock down perimeter shots consistently. I also really like the Walker addition as well. 

I think my big thing is whether we'll have the ability to play small given our guard/wing depth and talent?

We all watched the tournament last year and understand how the game has changed, and while I love our inside depth I think ideally it would be great to have the guard/wing depth where, for example, we're playing Mgbako as a perimeter 4, along with a wing and two guards, and Ware/Reneau at the 5. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the guys we got, but I was hoping our portal pick-ups would make us more dynamic on the perimeter and less reliant on having two bigs. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Madison22 said:

From everything I've read, this is not good news.  He's been injured for at least 15 months (Spring 2022).  Now add perhaps another year to that.

I found this regarding microfracture surgery:  "Recovery time can be slow. Many people can go back to sports or other intense activities in about 9 to 12 months. Athletes in very intense sports may not be able to return to their former level."

This type of surgery used to be done in the NBA, but has since fallen out of favor.  According to an article in the Chicago Tribune, the failure rate is 66%.  It is not clear what defines failure.

I believe this 2018 article is readable, and not behind a paywall:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-spt-nba-microfracture-surgery-amare-stoudemire-20180706-story.html  

Replying to my own post, as I think I got it wrong.

As I understand it now, the microfracture surgery was several months ago.  The recent procedure was minor, not a setback at all. 

Jakai said he wants to be playing by December.

If true, this is great news.

It just goes to show that maybe - possibly - the Indiana University medical staff with their thousands of hours experience know more about this than me after 5 minutes on Google.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm kind of with you here as far as being cautious with what my expectations are for this season. We're walking a tightrope in terms of the backcourt. 

I'm a fan of the offseason additions of course, and essentially adding two McDonald's AA's and getting XJ back are massive pick-ups. But with that said, there is also something about this roster where when I look at it I wonder if the sum of the parts isn't going to be as good as the individual talent. 

I think most of us had the takeaway from the NCAA Tournament that for the most part the teams that went deep had talent, depth and multi-dimensional skilled guys at the guards and wings. Guys that could handle, attack the rim, shoot, etc. 

I worry we didn't do enough to address that, especially from an experience standpoint?

I've always been high on Galloway, even going back to his freshmen year, I've always been an 'XJ guy', and I've also been really high on Cupps. Beyond health, I think the keys are Mgbako being a legit one and done scorer from the perimeter as a freshmen (this happening makes XJ and Galloway even more valuable so they can play to their strengths as opposed to having to be the go-to scorers) and Cupps exceeding expectations as a freshmen. That's just a lot to count on with freshmen. 

Again, we have talent. I wish we had more proven backcourt depth and I worry the sum isn't greater than the parts. 

Really feel like we are missing that slashing/get a bucket guard. When the clock starts to get low who can create offense. I know XJ can to an extent and so can Galloway but we will miss what JHS brought to the table for sure.

Dynamic guards are what wins in March…teams we struggled against had that…it’s that one piece I agree we lack from being elite.

Edited by dgambill

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm in the "I believe A Leal can play 5-8 serviceable mins a night" crowd.  

Didn't he battle a nasty sprained ankle all of last year? 

He had an injury early in the year and was in a boot for a couple of games I remember... 

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I have no doubt that if the right fit came along, CMW would fill that last scholarship in a heartbeat.

There lies the rub... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Really feel like we are missing that slashing/get a bucket guard. When the clock starts to get low who can create offense. I know XJ can to an extent and so can Galloway but we will miss what JHS brought to the table for sure.

Dynamic guards are what wins in March…teams we struggled against had that…it’s that one piece I agree we lack from being elite.

I think many are discounting Gallo. Woody himself said "Gallo is the best player on the court and has earned starter status at this point". If he's the best player on the court including Mac, Ware, and XJ, then he's definitely stepped up his already solid game.

Just sayin....

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, we need Reneau to be able to defend in space and ideally knock down perimeter shots consistently. I also really like the Walker addition as well. 

I think my big thing is whether we'll have the ability to play small given our guard/wing depth and talent?

We all watched the tournament last year and understand how the game has changed, and while I love our inside depth I think ideally it would be great to have the guard/wing depth where, for example, we're playing Mgbako as a perimeter 4, along with a wing and two guards, and Ware/Reneau at the 5. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the guys we got, but I was hoping our portal pick-ups would make us more dynamic on the perimeter and less reliant on having two bigs. 

I think Banks is a big part of that equation so that we can do it in spots. Even if Gunn and Cupps are solid, hard to imagine playing three guards a lot when you only have four.

Banks being able to give 15-20 really good minutes can change a lot for this team being able to play multiple lineup.

Can we manage to give Mgbako 30 minutes, but only half of that at the 3? That means Banks needs to give you that 15-20 then we can do 5-10 with a three guard look.

Small margin for error with our guard and wing depth. 

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I think many are discounting Gallo. Woody himself said "Gallo is the best player on the court and has earned starter status at this point". If he's the best player on the court including Mac, Ware, and XJ, then he's definitely stepped up his already solid game.

Just sayin....

Not discounting him but he isn’t that guy that is going take guys off the dribble and break down a defense. He is a straight line driver that can come off a ball screen or fake and blow past a poor close out but I’m talking off the dribble straight up break a guy down and put pressure on a defense by getting to his spot and scoring over or around guys. We lack that. XJ can get to the rim but I’m talking taking his man and getting to a spot on the floor rising up and scoring. We can see…but dribble drive pressure is what killed us in the tournament and is what beat a lot of good teams…I feel it’s our one weakness.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Banks is a big part of that equation so that we can do it in spots. Even if Gunn and Cupps are solid, hard to imagine playing three guards a lot when you only have four.

Banks being able to give 15-20 really good minutes can change a lot for this team being able to play multiple lineup.

Can we manage to give Mgbako 30 minutes, but only half of that at the 3? That means Banks needs to give you that 15-20 then we can do 5-10 with a three guard look.

Small margin for error with our guard and wing depth. 

That's why I was hoping we'd land a backup guard in the portal. 

Would love a Ware, Mgbako, Banks, Galloway, XJ lineup playing 4 out with Ware setting ball screens, rolling popping, etc.  

That would be a dynamic lineup of multi-skilled, long, athletic guys. 

Problem is you're then more thin in the backcourt and you probably have Reneau and Ware not totally happy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's why I was hoping we'd land a backup guard in the portal. 

Would love a Ware, Mgbako, Banks, Galloway, XJ lineup playing 4 out with Ware setting ball screens, rolling popping, etc.  

That would be a dynamic lineup of multi-skilled, long, athletic guys. 

Problem is you're then more thin in the backcourt and you probably have Reneau ans Ware not totally happy. 

Time will tell!

• Like 2

I haven’t seen this posted anywhere here, so I wanted to make sure the information was here in case you didn’t see it elsewhere, the NCAA has completely neutered tomorrow’s IU FanFest. The team will not be allowed to do anything physical. It has been reduced to a meet and greet with the team. 

I am an imbecile when it comes to imbedding tweets, but the Hoosier Hysterics tweeted out a video with an explanation. Fans will be able to get a refund if they choose. 

This really stinks. I have been looking forward all week to getting an early glimpse of the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I haven’t seen this posted anywhere here, so I wanted to make sure the information was here in case you didn’t see it elsewhere, the NCAA has completely neutered tomorrow’s IU FanFest. The team will not be allowed to do anything physical. It has been reduced to a meet and greet with the team. 

I am an imbecile when it comes to imbedding tweets, but the Hoosier Hysterics tweeted out a video with an explanation. Fans will be able to get a refund if they choose. 

This really stinks. I have been looking forward all week to getting an early glimpse of the team. 

Boo.gif.8b3cae642ceff84c6363b7d641dd1bc1.gif

The NCAA blows. 

They're literally telling players they can't shoot, pass or dribble in public during the summer?

Ridiculous.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The NCAA blows. 

They're literally telling players they can't shoot, pass or dribble in public during the summer?

Ridiculous.

The NCAA needs to be demoted to a crossing guard helping the small schools cross the street in this day and age of conference realignment!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The NCAA blows. 

Ridiculous.

NO, they are just telling IU players can't do those things. I am surprised that they didn't include breathing, that is also part of playing basketball. 

Meanwhile kentucky players were specifically mentioned in the ups new contract of having priority "deliveries". It's all above board!