IUBB Off-season 2023

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Yogi ws freaking jacked. And had one of the best stop on a dime jump shots I have ever seen.

Yes BUT...if you remember, Yogi missed a lot of shots long (back of the iron) in his freshman year and that's what started all the theories of too much strength training messing up shots.  Plenty of people have debunked the theories with evidence from NBA strength training, but Yogi is absolutely the dude that started the talk.  Once he rediscovered his stroke, yes, he was very very good.

He was probably just jacked up playing on a big stage as a freshman and had too much adrenaline in his early games, but yeah...I remember participating in that speculation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Yogi ws freaking jacked. And had one of the best stop on a dime jump shots I have ever seen.

And good points, these two came to Bloomington extremely well put together. 

Yes, and... they don't go workout and just do chest, arm workouts to look good on spring break... they go through full circuits that pinpoint different aspects of their strength/explosiveness to develop.. 

I would venture to guess they do very little true bench press, the "185lbs until failure" is just way a to universally measure one apsect of strength. 

Yogi was jacked, undoubtedly, his calves/thighs were flipping huge too.. big reason he could still get so much leg into his shot late in games, after handling the ball for 35 mins. 

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes BUT...if you remember, Yogi missed a lot of shots long (back of the iron) in his freshman year and that's what started all the theories of too much strength training messing up shots.  Plenty of people have debunked the theories with evidence from NBA strength training, but Yogi is absolutely the dude that started the talk.  Once he rediscovered his stroke, yes, he was very very good.

He was probably just jacked up playing on a big stage as a freshman and had too much adrenaline in his early games, but yeah...I remember participating in that speculation.

Ugh. Yes, you are right about all of that. 

I also assume the average defender he was going against was much longer/altered his shot way more often than anything he had encountered in HS. He struggled to get his own shot his FR year, as well. And last point.. he might one of the few people on earth that is more comfortable shooting off the dribble than the pass. 

I believe Cupps will go through this learning phase. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I can't remember a more impressively built freshman than Jakai. Dude looks like he is a 25 year.ild man that has been lifting hiw whole life.

I am excited for him to get healthy, and see what he becomes. He seems loaded talent, potential and and a really competitive mindset.

What’s the health status on Jakai? Does anyone know?

2 hours ago, DWB said:

He also said that at this point, he's earned the right to start.

I liked the story Coach Woodson told about Mgbako's mom calling him at 11:30 at night after Mac had ditched Duke...

And Woody telling Ward and Eric that sometimes he meets a kid, and just based on the meeting he'll tell the assistants the kid isn't right for our program... And copping to he's not always right about that... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Common Sense said:

Then he needs to find a way to shoot much more than he did last year.  

I think Trey will shoot more (he averaged 5 FGA per last year), but I think we'll have a much more balanced offense...

Edited by IUFLA

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

On this week's HH Podcast Coach Woodson says Trey Galloway has been "the best player in the gym shooting and on defense."

I was bored and went back and watched 2nd half of Purdue game. Obviously JHS owned Purdue, their guards, and their coaches.....but Trey was in on so many plays. Offense, Defense, Passing....Steals. I love TG and glue guys like him while we pepper in the one and done types guys like Trey hold the program together. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was bored and went back and watched 2nd half of Purdue game. Obviously JHS owned Purdue, their guards, and their coaches.....but Trey was in on so many plays. Offense, Defense, Passing....Steals. I love TG and glue guys like him while we pepper in the one and done types guys like Trey hold the program together. 

TG 2 games vs. PU- 36MPG 12p and stuffed Smith on the other end.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Trey had the 2nd greatest “almost” dunk I’ve seen from a Hoosier that game 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Malik looks to be in pretty good shape, huh? 

Screenshot_20230728-170729.png.a0497ab7539b0d18d5de453911567075.png

Not quite the Blake Griffin look I was hoping for however he has definitely trimmed up.  Let's see that lateral quickness improve now too please.   

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Blake Griffin juiced in college.  And no I do not want or condone Malik to do anything other than natural gains.  I'm just hoping for a huge leap.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not quite the Blake Griffin look I was hoping for however he has definitely trimmed up.  Let's see that lateral quickness improve now too please.   

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Blake Griffin juiced in college.  And no I do not want or condone Malik to do anything other than natural gains.  I'm just hoping for a huge leap.  

I don’t think he is ever going to be the explosive athlete Griffin was, but I do think the type of player Griffin became when he lost some of that athleticism can be a really good model for Malik. He still had some great years even when he wasn’t dunking everything over everyone. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think he is ever going to be the explosive athlete Griffin was, but I do think the type of player Griffin became when he lost some of that athleticism can be a really good model for Malik. He still had some great years even when he wasn’t dunking everything over everyone. 

Yeah I don't see him dunking over kia's but just being so freaking strong with a decent enough shot to be threatening.   

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:23 AM, IUFLA said:

On this week's HH Podcast Coach Woodson says Trey Galloway has been "the best player in the gym shooting and on defense."

Relating Tr3y's senior year, to me as a pilot. I was flying 130 MPH and always knew that, it was my focus point. It made me concentrate on the 130 for a few years. Once I honestly "FELT" that 130 MPH was actually zero. It was normal not being constricted from the ground, flight become much simpler not being constrained from other things, outside of going 130 MPH. I bet Tr3y does that same this year with the speed of the college game.

When he is actually heading toward earth at 130, he quickly realizes that he's at 12,000' so that isn't really important right now, "I've got time" to focus on why.

Tr3y shine's even more this year, in my opinion.  Now if we were actually playing on a carrier this year. I could really have some fun with this. LOL

• Like 1