IUBB Off-season 2023

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You should have joined me on Galloway Island then!

Not sure, but I thought I gave you a "like" for that.

I don't really put much validity to the "way too early" polls of any kind. Until we see it manifest itself on the floor, it's just mental masturbation IMO. You guys can have fun with it, just not my thing.

Yeah, I like to speculate a little, but usually it's based on some kind of past performance.

18 minutes ago, DWB said:

Not sure, but I thought I gave you a "like" for that.

I don't really put much validity to the "way too early" polls of any kind. Until we see it manifest itself on the floor, it's just mental masturbation IMO. You guys can have fun with it, just not my thing.

Yeah, I like to speculate a little, but usually it's based on some kind of past performance.

I didn't see your vote in the poll, but yeah, I think Galloway is as good a candidate as any at this point. He's just gotten better and better at IU and I liked him before he played his first real game.  He would already be an IU legend if he'd pulled off that posterizing attempt on Edey.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think he is a good outside shooter but he has to be wide open to get his shot off. He just needs to learn to shoot off the dribble instead of trying to get all the way to the basket 

I'm with you on he can't shoot off the dribble, but he made more than a few under duress last year...

And I forgot to mention, Jakai said he was impressed with CJ's defense so far... CJ has the tools (needs to get stronger) and the attitude on that end... 

On 7/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, IUFLA said:

I'm with you on he can't shoot off the dribble, but he made more than a few under duress last year...

And I forgot to mention, Jakai said he was impressed with CJ's defense so far... CJ has the tools (needs to get stronger) and the attitude on that end... 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/with-calbert-cheaney-help-sophomore-guard-cj-gunn-strives-to-fill-indiana-basketball-shooting-needs

Sounds like CJ has been picking Calbert's brain.  I loved bringing that guy back...#40 has always been that dude for me and I think the wisdom he brings the team is really going to help out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/with-calbert-cheaney-help-sophomore-guard-cj-gunn-strives-to-fill-indiana-basketball-shooting-needs

Sounds like CJ has been picking Calbert's brain.  I loved bringing that guy back...#40 has always been that dude for me and I think the wisdom he brings the team is really going to help out.

Listened to that yesterday, and I agree...

I think CJ is going to surprise a lot of people this year...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Got the chance to meet him at a Bob Knight basketball camp back when I was a kid. I’ve never met a guy who’s as kind and humble yet successful as Calbert. One of a kind type of dude. Wish we brought him back a long time ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Got the chance to meet him at a Bob Knight basketball camp back when I was a kid. I’ve never met a guy who’s as kind and humble yet successful as Calbert. One of a kind type of dude. Wish we brought him back a long time ago. 

We did while Crean was here.  I have heard various reasons as to why he left but he was here for that 2012 team.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:43 PM, IUCrazy2 said:

We did while Crean was here.  I have heard various reasons as to why he left but he was here for that 2012 team.

Pretty sure it came out it had to do with Crean's style and also not bringing together the old guard more in the mix.

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In Clif's tweet he cites this link showing all time NBA Combine numbers...

I think strength is important in basketball, but it seems like the farther down you go on that list, the better the player... 

It's more... "I celebrate you, I recognize your hard work as your mentor/teacher/coach/trainer" 

Bench press, even in the NFL, really isn't a good barometer of good vs bad. But, it does show who busts it in the weightroom. 

There's plenty of cats on that list that have made a pretty penny playing basketball. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's more... "I celebrate you, I recognize your hard work as your mentor/teacher/coach/trainer" 

Yeah, I understand that, and I think Clif is popular with the players because he does things like recognition Tweets... He a nice part of Woody's team building effort...

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bench press, even in the NFL, really isn't a good barometer of good vs bad. But, it does show who busts it in the weightroom. 

I agree with that... I think measurables are useful, but not the whole story...

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There's plenty of cats on that list that have made a pretty penny playing basketball. 

Including the guy who couldn't do even 1 rep... 🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I understand that, and I think Clif is popular with the players because he does things like recognition Tweets... He a nice part of Woody's team building effort...

I agree with that... I think measurables are useful, but not the whole story...

Including the guy who couldn't do even 1 rep... 🙂

Yep. He's also 7ft with guard skills. 🙈

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I can't remember a more impressively built freshman than Jakai. Dude looks like he is a 25 year.ild man that has been lifting hiw whole life.

I am excited for him to get healthy, and see what he becomes. He seems loaded talent, potential and and a really competitive mindset.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I can't remember a more impressively built freshman than Jakai. Dude looks like he is a 25 year.ild man that has been lifting hiw whole life.

I am excited for him to get healthy, and see what he becomes. He seems loaded talent, potential and and a really competitive mindset.

From his high school games I watched, the only thing missing is his outside shot... Fearless going to the hole... Very physical player with a high motor... And those games were after coming back from his knee injury... 

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Those two look like what NFL linebackers did not that long ago.  No doubt today's S&C has come a long way.   Whether or not it improves BB ability or prevents injury - I have no idea.

As far as being muscled up, remember Jim Rowinski at pu?  Not a bad playeras I recall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i always fear that rapid muscle increase is going to mess with their mechanics.  Not sure there is any correlation but when guys go from shooting well in HS to not being able to hit water in college after getting bigger, just makes me think.

I don't think those two added "rapid muscle", though. Added muscle sure, but those two were freaks when they got here. 

The only thing that would bother their shot is if they did an arm work out, or maybe a heavy chest work near a game day. I'm confident we have competent enough individuals running the show to not allow that. 

Outside of Romeo, who should have had his wrist surgery in HS, I can't think of a lot of examples of guys that shot well to really well in HS and didn't shoot well in college.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think those two added "rapid muscle", though. Added muscle sure, but those two were freaks when they got here. 

The only thing that would bother their shot is if they did an arm work out, or maybe a heavy chest work near a game day. I'm confident we have competent enough individuals running the show to not allow that. 

Outside of Romeo, who should have had his wrist surgery in HS, I can't think of a lot of examples of guys that shot well to really well in HS and didn't shoot well in college.

Yogi was freaking jacked. He had one of the best stop on a dime jump shots I have ever seen.

And good points, these two came to Bloomington extremely well put together. 

• Like 1