IUBB Off-season 2023

3 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

How can you look at that chart and not see that injuries are a serious issue with our team. There are very few in front of us with guys ruled out. And that only shows a small sample. We are easily in the top 5% of D1 teams. 

We're 20th on that list of % of minutes missed due to injury out of 64-68 teams. If you throw the other 250ish D1 programs into the mix IU is probably middle of the pack at worst. 

As has been mentioned several times, the two injuries that accounted for the most missed time for IU were XJ and Race's injuries. Neither of those injuries had anything to do with Clif Marshall or the S&C Program. 

You seem to have something personal against Marshall, maybe something due to religion, and you're extrapolating that into baseless claims. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

We sure are paying him like we are some POWER. He is horrendous.

Penix injuries. Who do you blame those on? IU's turf?

I don't go around finding blame in any aspect of sport, and certainly not with injuries... so to answer your question, no one.. It's a waste of time. Penix OL was average, at worst, until his last year here, fwiw. 

Where there is activity, there will be injury. 

2020- hurt on a 10 yard scramle vs Rutgers on the sideline, no contact. His first college knee injury was non contact, as well. 

I'm not overly sure why we are discussing this here, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

:rollinglaugh:

I forgot how much of a cult this site is. You arent allowed to question any leadership. I am outta here. Once the season starts and we get a major injury remember that i told ya so.

Enjoy water arobics and bible camp with cliff. 

Seems.you take more.offense to his spiritual beliefs than his performance. Or at least you are equally critical of both.

It comes across your personal world or spritual view is playing a part in your assessment. That is unfair imo.

• Like 7

It’s impossible to use one metric or even two as a reason for injuries. Every injury is situational. Now, if a lot of our players suffered from hamstring injuries, maybe we could draw a line back to the cause, but that’s not the case.

With all the videos and interviews we have access to, it seems as if CM is continually working mobility, core, muscle imbalances, stretching and nutrition. All of that is for injury prevention. Now, if players were adding all that weight while ignoring said aspects for recovery, I’d think that would be a cause for concern. But again, that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

I’m not saying you can’t question Clif, but I personally don’t see any evidence that warrants me questioning CM. 

Also, ‘water aerobics’ forces your body to move in a zero gravity environment. Thus, you need to access other, less commonly used muscles to move through the exercise. This works muscle imbalances and improves core strength, both of which, reduces risk of injury. So, you should be applauding water aerobics if your concern is injuries. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I forgot how much of a cult this site is. You arent allowed to question any leadership. I am outta here. Once the season starts and we get a major injury remember that i told ya so.

You.... blamed our trainer for a broken foot. That's on you.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s impossible to use one metric or even two as a reason for injuries. Every injury is situational. Now, if a lot of our players suffered from hamstring injuries, maybe we could draw a line back to the cause, but that’s not the case.

With all the videos and interviews we have access to, it seems as if CM is continually working mobility, core, muscle imbalances, stretching and nutrition. All of that is for injury prevention. Now, if players were adding all that weight while ignoring said aspects for recovery, I’d think that would be a cause for concern. But again, that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

I’m not saying you can’t question Clif, but I personally don’t see any evidence that warrants me questioning CM. 

Also, ‘water aerobics’ forces your body to move in a zero gravity environment. Thus, you need to access other, less commonly used muscles to move through the exercise. This works muscle imbalances and improves core strength, both of which, reduces risk of injury. So, you should be applauding water aerobics if your concern is injuries. 

TD this is a great post, and you did a great job explaining the advantages to variety in their workouts (pool work, sand work). 

If they showed us nothing but dudes doing one rep maxes all off season long, yeah.. that would be an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Phenomenal post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Look at his dumbass workouts.

Holding bricks while saying bible verses isn't helping anything. 

Ah. I get it. I do. I'm strongly against anyone proselytizing at work, and that's exponentially so coming from anyone in a position of authority. But that's a categorically different complaint than saying Clif's training is directly responsible for player injuries.

For that charge to stick, you'd need data on frequency and injury type to demonstrate there's something unusual going on at Indiana. So far you've just had anecdotes and vibes. Thus the pushback. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

01.1_total_mins-1536x1075.png

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

So only 6 more teams out of 68 had more guys ruled out due to injury. Sorry i said 5%, its actually 8%. thats not good.

all D1 teams we'd be in the top 5%.

OK...for starters, I see 8 ahead of IU on "ruled out" instead of 6 (UCLA, SW Missouri, Xavier, Tennessee, Texas A&M-CC, Virginia, Northwestern, and Grand Canyon).  That means 12-13% of teams had more in the yellow bar.  If you don't cherry pick the stats and use the combined bars, almost a third of the field was more affected by injuries than Indiana.  There could also be some gamesmanship in the ruled/out vs. game time decision, with some coaches simply wanting to keep the opposition guessing longer...who knows?

I'm likewise puzzled that you believe teams that missed the tournament were less injured than those that made the tournament?  Aside from tourney teams playing more games, I can't see where you'd come up with that.  If anything, more injuries would seem to be a predictor for missing the tournament?

I agree with you on a lot of things, but based on what I'm seeing here, I'm a little skeptical that Clif's training regimen is leading to a bunch more injuries, especially when you actually zoom in and examine the nature of the injuries that caused missed games.  It's an interesting hypothesis, but from my angle, it needs a lot more support than just the biased eyeballs of Indiana fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

What is wrong with having some spiritual things around the program. Once they took it out of schools look at the mess this country has become 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Ah. I get it. I do. I'm strongly against anyone proselytizing at work, and that's exponentially so coming from anyone in a position of authority. But that's a categorically different complaint than saying Clif's training is directly responsible for player injuries.

For that charge to stick, you'd need data on frequency and injury type to demonstrate there's something unusual going on at Indiana. So far you've just had anecdotes and vibes. Thus the pushback. 

Thank you for saying what I was trying to say in a much more clear way. Well put! 

I agree with you and RTZ on the proselytizing in the work place. I'm completely with RTZ there. 

But as you laid out much better than I did, that has nothing to do with the injury discussion and lack of any evidence that was brought to that discussion by anyone bashing Clif. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

We are gonna need you to bring more substance to future posts please.  😁

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What is wrong with having some spiritual things around the program. Once they took it out of schools look at the mess this country has become 

This is not a comment for or against religion, but you might want to look at history.  Religion of all types doesn't have the best track record.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Listened to Jakai Newton on the HH podcast...

Notable: he said Mac and CJ were both "hard shot makers." 🙂

Said Galloway's outside shooting surprised him and he's looking even better than he did last year 

He's still sidelined for scrimmages a few more weeks with the knee issue...but he's steady working out

Loves Clif 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Listened to Jakai Newton on the HH podcast...

Said Galloway's outside shooting surprised him and he's looking even better than he did last year 

I keep telling you guys that Gallo could be our sleeper for shooters. But no one believes me...which is OK, just interesting from my standpoint. If Gallo gets 4-6 shots from deep a game and hits 2-3, plus his "get to the rim" shots/dunks a couple, three times he's solid double digit scorer for us.

And oh by the way, his defense ain't too bad either.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DWB said:

I keep telling you guys that Gallo could be our sleeper for shooters. But no one believes me...which is OK, just interesting from my standpoint. If Gallo gets 4-6 shots from deep a game and hits 2-3, plus his "get to the rim" shots/dunks a couple, three times he's solid double digit scorer for us.

I think he is a good outside shooter but he has to be wide open to get his shot off. He just needs to learn to shoot off the dribble instead of trying to get all the way to the basket 

1 hour ago, DWB said:

You should have joined me on Galloway Island then!