IUBB Off-season 2023

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If you’re second, you’re last:coffee:

I mean not really. I'd rather lose in the National Title game than come in last in Big Ten. 

I'd rather make an Elite 8 as opposed to finishing 10th in the Big Ten and making the NIT. 

Those programs from that list have been wildly successful over that time frame and I think any IU fan would trade our results with those programs in a heartbeat. 

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean not really. I'd rather lose in the National Title game than come in last in Big Ten. 

I'd rather make an Elite 8 as opposed to finishing 10th in the Big Ten and making the NIT. 

Those programs from that list have been wildly successful over that time frame and I think any IU fan would trade our results with those programs in a heartbeat. 

Dangit, he said "coffee emoji thingy"!

😄

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, slojoe said:

We've talked mostly about what our offense will be like next year, but not much about our defense.  Next season's team looks to be a really good defense with lots of length.  Defense was our main problem last season.

In the HH podcast with Gabe Cupps as a guest, Gabe said their sole focus so far was defense...that Woody and the other coaches were just kinda letting them "free play" on the offensive end, saying that will come later...

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In the HH podcast with Gabe Cupps as a guest, Gabe said their sole focus so far was defense...that Woody and the other coaches were just kinda letting them "free play" on the offensive end, saying that will come later...

I really liked the insights from Mac and Gabe. Mac said he has been challenged by Banks, Sparks is massive and he thinks we'll be a good 3 point shooting team.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

https://hoosierillustrated.com/a-look-at-where-indiana-basketball-players-land-in-early-2024-nba-mock-drafts/

Expect IUBB program to have a decent target 🎯 on our back this coming season with two, albeit extremely early, projected lottery picks. That’s a good thing!

Expectations should be high! Major props to our staff for putting this roster together on what I think a lot of us considered a gap year losing TJD and JHS. 

• Like 7

On 6/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, slojoe said:

We've talked mostly about what our offense will be like next year, but not much about our defense.  Next season's team looks to be a really good defense with lots of length.  Defense was our main problem last season.

I like our length…not excited about our lateral quickness. Sure hope it improves. It’s my biggest worry.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I like our length…not excited about our lateral quickness. Sure hope it improves. It’s my biggest worry.

XJ, and to a lesser extent, Trey are both pretty good at sliding their feet and staying in front of their guy... 

This article says Kel'el "isn’t a liability when switched onto a guard on the perimeter." which indicates he might not be bad either... I thought Trayce was pretty good on the switch and Race was acceptable... If Ware can come close to either I'd be happy...

The other 2 presumed starters, Mgbako and Reneau, we'll just have to see... Miller Kopp made lateral quickness a priority last year, and I think that paid off pretty well, so it is something the staff, notably Clif, works on...

Off the bench, I thought Gunn did an acceptable job staying in front of his guy for the most part... Just too "handsy" gambled too much, and occasionally got lost on D... I thought D (and a nose for the ball) was what got Banks into the lower end of the rotation last year...

Newton definitely has the tools to be a lockdown guy, and Cupps competes on that end...

So I think we're ok... quick guards killed us on a couple of occasions last year... Hopefully XJ being back will help mitigate that... 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

XJ, and to a lesser extent, Trey are both pretty good at sliding their feet and staying in front of their guy... 

This article says Kel'el "isn’t a liability when switched onto a guard on the perimeter." which indicates he might not be bad either... I thought Trayce was pretty good on the switch and Race was acceptable... If Ware can come close to either I'd be happy...

The other 2 presumed starters, Mgbako and Reneau, we'll just have to see... Miller Kopp made lateral quickness a priority last year, and I think that paid off pretty well, so it is something the staff, notably Clif, works on...

Off the bench, I thought Gunn did an acceptable job staying in front of his guy for the most part... Just too "handsy" gambled too much, and occasionally got lost on D... I thought D (and a nose for the ball) was what got Banks into the lower end of the rotation last year...

Newton definitely has the tools to be a lockdown guy, and Cupps competes on that end...

So I think we're ok... quick guards killed us on a couple of occasions last year... Hopefully XJ being back will help mitigate that... 

I didnt think we handled driving guards too well. Especially so the break down in the Miami game but also Penn St and others. Teams would target running a picks and handoffs out front to try to get Kopp or JHS switched off on them and then take them 1-1. We had Trayce to clean up the backend which was a lifesaver but we still gave up too many straight line drives and opened us for the kick out 3.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So interested in how Reneau does next season. I think the range of possibilities is so wide. 

I could see him being our most important/best player given some flashes how showed last year. Think a Draymond/Julius Randle hybrid. 

Or, I could see many of his issues (fouling, poor defense early on, black hole on the block) resurfacing, and IU going small with Mgbako at the 4 and Reneau still getting 15-20 mpg off the bench. 

Wide range of scenarios. 

• Like 2

Calbert meeting with the media this morning. I'm sure there will be an article later but few brief points. He said he and Coach Woodson have been talking about this the past 2 seasons. Asked why he decided to come back and he said it's simple...Woody.

Also watched the team practice yesterday and said he saw some 2013 flashes there.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Calbert meeting with the media this morning. I'm sure there will be an article later but few brief points. He said he and Coach Woodson have been talking about this the past 2 seasons. Asked why he decided to come back and he said it's simple...Woody.

Also watched the team practice yesterday and said he saw some 2013 flashes there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

It's fun to guess, so I'll give it a try.

The first tweet, DMV, I'll bet he's hinting at a visit from Patrick Ngongba, from Fairax. Indiana has been talking for a while with him to get something set up.

For a Florida visit, I'll guess Marcus Allen. Obviously we're in on a bunch of Montverde kids, but Marcus is from Miami originally, like Malik Reneau. Marcus is also AAU teammates of Liam McNeeley.

Of course, I'd love if Adam were hinting at some commitments, like from Jaeden Mustaf, originally of powerhouse Dematha HS, like our own Victor Oladipo. Just doesn't seem likely that we've got two imminent, giving the guys we're in on.

• Like 2