IUBB Off-season 2023

38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Gunn working on his game.

Resident member of the CJ Gunn fan club. I just saw him light up really good competition so many times in high school I feel like it has to transfer over. I'm hoping and cheering he makes that big step this offseason. Minutes are there to be earned for sure.

• Like 2

I've seen Andy Katz say some fairly insane stuff, but this is a bit of a head scratcher...

So by virtue of Ohio State adding Jamison Battle and Evan Mahaffey (who I think will be a solid role player), and Northwestern getting Buie back (can't wait to see the difference when XJ guards him) and the Langbord  kid (13 ppg) from Princeton, that tops 2 top 10 kids in Ware and Mgbako (not to mention 2 nice backup pieces in Sparks and Walker)?

Plus the fact that he has Wisconsin (his alma mater) at 4 for not LOSING anybody, make me think Mr Katz is using the Illinois weed laws to his benefit... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I've seen Andy Katz say some fairly insane stuff, but this is a bit of a head scratcher...

So by virtue of Ohio State adding Jamison Battle and Evan Mahaffey (who I think will be a solid role player), and Northwestern getting Buie back (can't wait to see the difference when XJ guards him) and the Langbord  kid (13 ppg) from Princeton, that tops 2 top 10 kids in Ware and Mgbako (not to mention a nice backup piece in Sparks)?

Plus the fact that he has Wisconsin (his alma mater) at 4 for not LOSING anybody, make me think Mr Katz is using the Illinois weed laws to his benefit... 

He mentioned XJ, though it was sort of a gloss over, but if you're going to count Buie has a big offseason win for NW, then you need to count XJ as part of IU's offseason wins. 

XJ wasn't supposed to be back for next season, and while I always thought he was going to get the waiver it wasn't a certainly even once he announced he wanted to come back. 

IMO, IU's additions are XJ, Cupps, Newton, Mbgako, Ware and Sparks. 

Edit: Forgot Walker too. 

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So by virtue of Ohio State adding Jamison Battle and Evan Mahaffey (who I think will be a solid role player), and Northwestern getting Buie back (can't wait to see the difference when XJ guards him) and the Langbord  kid (13 ppg) from Princeton, that tops 2 top 10 kids in Ware and Mgbako (not to mention a nice backup piece in Sparks)?

Well on one hand you have a team that added two McDonald's All Americans to the frontcourt and received a waiver for their senior All Conference point guard. But on the other hand you have a team that gets everyday back from a roster that finished 11th in the Big Ten and missed the Tournament. So really, who's to say?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He mentioned XJ, though it was sort of a gloss over, but if you're going to count Buie has a big offseason win for NW, then you need to count XJ as part of IU's offseason wins. 

XJ wasn't supposed to be back for next season, and while I always thought he was going to get the waiver it wasn't a certainly even once he announced he wanted to come back. 

IMO, IU's additions are XJ, Cupps, Newton, Mbgako, Ware and Sparks. 

You forgot Walker who I think will be a player!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So by virtue of Ohio State adding Jamison Battle and Evan Mahaffey (who I think will be a solid role player), and Northwestern getting Buie back (can't wait to see the difference when XJ guards him) and the Langbord  kid (13 ppg) from Princeton, that tops 2 top 10 kids in Ware and Mgbako (not to mention 2 nice backup pieces in Sparks and Walker)?

Plus if getting Buie back counts, shouldn't getting X back count? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We're Parker Stewart hitting a wide open shot away from being 4-0 against Purdue in CMWs 1st 2 years. I know, random, but I was just thinking about that this morning. 

I still think X got fouled on the half court shot at the end of that game. I get that you're not going to get that call, but it looked like Purdue was trying to give it🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

🤣🤣

Great tweet.

I know this is a joke and I love TJD and he will be one of my favorite IU players ever. But I'm definitely ready to move on from him and Race (I love Race too....just to clarify). 

I'm SO ready to see an offense scheme Woody is more *comfortable* coaching. "Comfortable" being the adjective he used to describe next year's offense in his interviews yesterday at Huber Winery. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The 2023-24 Big 10 Torvik ratings are pretty interesting...IU is projected to have the 3rd best overall and Big 10 records (20-11 and 11-9)...

Look at the "talent" and "experience" colums though...Third in talent to MSU and Maryland, but we have the least experience in the Big 10...

According to this Michigan has by far the most "talent". Has to be a mistake somewhere. Or that "secret formula" he uses is really flawed.

Other than that I would agree with what he has here. It will likely be like most years. A team or two at the top, a team or two at the bottom and a lot of sameness in the middle. The 4 way ties he predicts at 11-9 and 10-10 seem pretty likely again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

According to this Michigan has by far the most "talent". Has to be a mistake somewhere. Or that "secret formula" he uses is really flawed.

Other than that I would agree with what he has here. It will likely be like most years. A team or two at the top, a team or two at the bottom and a lot of sameness in the middle. The 4 way ties he predicts at 11-9 and 10-10 seem pretty likely again.

Yeah, that does seem off...maybe high school rankings? 

And I agree...parity again this year...

On 6/2/2023 at 2:09 PM, IUFLA said:

The 2023-24 Big 10 Torvik ratings are pretty interesting...IU is projected to have the 3rd best overall and Big 10 records (20-11 and 11-9)...

Look at the "talent" and "experience" colums though...Third in talent to MSU and Maryland, but we have the least experience in the Big 10...

Probably doesn't make a difference,  but Torvik's depth chart doesn't include Gunn or Walker, but does have Leal getting 10% MIN%. That doesn't seem particularly realistic to me.

• Like 3