IUBB Off-season 2023

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Was listening to the Hoosier Hysterics  podcast that contained an interview with Mackenzie Mgbako...he seems like such a great kid...

When he talked about the few scrimmages they've had, and he was asked if anyone surprised him with their play, he said Gabe Cupps and CJ Gunn...

Good listen...

We hear things like this EVERY year about a kid that none of us have much confidence in YET. However, it never translates to games. Cupps we don’t know bc we haven’t seen him, so speaking more of Gunn. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We hear things like this EVERY year about a kid that none of us have much confidence in YET. However, it never translates to games. Cupps we don’t know bc we haven’t seen him, so speaking more of Gunn. 

We need shooters, so I hope Mackenzie is right...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Was listening to the Hoosier Hysterics  podcast that contained an interview with Mackenzie Mgbako...he seems like such a great kid...

When he talked about the few scrimmages they've had, and he was asked if anyone surprised him with their play, he said Gabe Cupps and CJ Gunn...

Good listen...

It continues to amaze me how mature some of these high end prospects are. Yes, they’re still kids but in that interview MM also talks about how he takes care of his body by using yoga for recovery, how he meditates to maintain a little balance and focus, how disciplined he is about his diet, etc. 

JHS said many of the same things in his interview with HH. He said that he discovered his body responded better to a vegan diet - so he went solely vegan. 

I can’t imagine doing any of that when I was 19. Haha. But again, I was not a lottery prospect for the NBA draft. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It continues to amaze me how mature some of these high end prospects are. Yes, they’re still kids but in that interview MM also talks about how he takes care of his body by using yoga for recovery, how he meditates to maintain a little balance and focus, how disciplined he is about his diet, etc. 

JHS said many of the same things in his interview with HH. He said that he discovered his body responded better to a vegan diet - so he went solely vegan. 

I can’t imagine doing any of that when I was 19. Haha. But again, I was not a lottery prospect for the NBA draft. 

I had a very regimented diet when I was 19

image.thumb.png.e9a8569420914041dc85f296748a765b.png

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Good listen...

As important as getting 5* and 1-done kids to come to IU….this is still a big part of it. It’s about getting the RIGHT ones who will hopefully be a part of the program and a good teammate to each other and not make it all about them.

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

Don't completely disagree with his point on Indiana. 

I don't see that. With Ware, Reneau, Sparks and Walker the 4 &5 spots should be filled. If Mgbako is playing the 4 I would take it as an indication that group greatly underperformed. Likely one of the first two.

If Mgbako doesn't play the 3 then it's hope that Gunn or Banks have made a tremendous improvement which I would consider very iffy at this point.

1 hour ago, Basketball Junkie said:

I don't see that. With Ware, Reneau, Sparks and Walker the 4 &5 spots should be filled. If Mgbako is playing the 4 I would take it as an indication that group greatly underperformed. Likely one of the first two.

If Mgbako doesn't play the 3 then it's hope that Gunn or Banks have made a tremendous improvement which I would consider very iffy at this point.

I think you're reading too much into what that lineup would mean for other guys. 

It would be more about playing a more modern style. More about having multiple guys on the court that can create, handle, shoot, push pace and defend multiple positions 

We'd be playing more like a team like Miami last year, for example, and several other teams we saw advance in March. 

Again, I don't think it will happen, but it's more about style and what works best than it would be about failures from certain players. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you're reading too much into what that lineup would mean for other guys. 

It would be more about playing a more modern style. More about having multiple guys on the court that can create, handle, shoot, push pace and defend multiple positions 

We'd be playing more like a team like Miami last year, for example, and several other teams we saw advance in March. 

Again, I don't think it will happen, but it's more about style and what works best than it would be about failures from certain players. 

I have a weird vision of Malik playing more a 5 and Ware Mac both playing wings??

I think Mgbako will play the Kopp role. The positive is that he can create his shot way more than Kopp could and should help on the boards as well. He may not be the 3pt shooter but he can shoot well enough and his ability to score and create in the midrange is a positive. That all said there is no doubt all these guys will mix and match at the 4&5 come crunch time.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I get the desire to play that modern style. But you have to have the pieces. I do think Mgbako would be fine at the 4. But Ware and Reneau both are going to get heavy minutes. So Mgbako fills the 3 spot which to me is the glaring weakness anyway. Of course that is all based on how the roster is currently constructed.

• Like 1

This week's Hoosier Hysterics podcast  has Gabe Cupps as the guest...good stuff...

They asked him what was the most surprising thing so far in practices, and he said Malik Reneau shooting and making 3s on a regular basis 😯 

I thought he had a chance to be a good outside shooter from what we saw last year...let's hope it carries over to games...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1