IUBB Off-season 2023

On 7/27/2023 at 12:10 PM, IUFLA said:

I liked the story Coach Woodson told about Mgbako's mom calling him at 11:30 at night after Mac had ditched Duke...

And Woody telling Ward and Eric that sometimes he meets a kid, and just based on the meeting he'll tell the assistants the kid isn't right for our program... And copping to he's not always right about that... 

I think when you see a kid having IU momentum and then something switches, it often came from our end.  I think Woody— rightfully so—wants a certain makeup and mindset on who we bring in.  A lot of fans panic but it seems obvious that in many cases we are going in a different direction. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think when you see a kid having IU momentum and then something switches, it often came from our end.  I think Woody— rightfully so—wants a certain makeup and mindset on who we bring in.  A lot of fans panic but it seems obvious that in many cases we are going in a different direction. 

I'm sure there's truth to that but it could be both ways, like flirting with a girl.  If she doesn't flirt back or you hear through other ways and means that they are really into one of the other guys, you may back off, depending on the level of reception and feedback you receive.  

Some kids and families may be very upfront and say, I appreciate the offer but I'm very likely to stay closer to home or thanks but I've already narrowed my list down to 5.  Etc etc.  If there are 15 kids we show interest there are likely 15 different scenarios.   Not to mention like we heard with Flory.  He was like 3 or 4th on our wish list.  If we heard that, then you know he heard it too.  

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm sure there's truth to that but it could be both ways, like flirting with a girl.  If she doesn't flirt back or you hear through other ways and means that they are really into one of the other guys, you may back off, depending on the level of reception and feedback you receive.  

Some kids and families may be very upfront and say, I appreciate the offer but I'm very likely to stay closer to home or thanks but I've already narrowed my list down to 5.  Etc etc.  If there are 15 kids we show interest there are likely 15 different scenarios.   Not to mention like we heard with Flory.  He was like 3 or 4th on our wish list.  If we heard that, then you know he heard it too.  

I agree with that, but it may be that Woody keeps it real and that may not be for everyone.  That may not be what some kids want to hear.  But I also agree that there may be some kids who just want to go elsewhere no matter what we say or do.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks.  Any particular names or just a general approach to try to mine right now?

Player from Spain. Staff is still evaluating and there’s some hurdles with international prospects so they don’t want the name out there right now. Would join this upcoming season if we decide the fit is right and the player is on board.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bville_Hoosier said:

Player from Spain. Staff is still evaluating and there’s some hurdles with international prospects so they don’t want the name out there right now. Would join this upcoming season if we decide the fit is right and the player is on board.

Strong prospect, as long as he can keep his temper under control.image.png.2b1439d5127dba37572895ff07b1b114.png

Edited by Hoosierinbham
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Bville_Hoosier said:

Thanks.  This is a good development but speaks to a larger point.  There’s an inefficiency in the market we can exploit if we make a point to get our foreign contacts going.  We should get one of our (many) admins focused on that primarily if we aren’t already doing it.   The international-izaton of the game is accelerating and is no fad.  Four of the very top players in the NBA are Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, and Doncic.  

You aren’t getting that caliber of a guy because they have so many options over there.  But, as we’ve seen with Arizona, you can get quality college players overseas.  IU has as much to offer these types of kids as anyone and not everyone is beating the bushes hard enough over there.   We’ve got the manpower and budget to pull it off.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks.  This is a good development but speaks to a larger point.  There’s an inefficiency in the market we can exploit if we make a point to get our foreign contacts going.  We should get one of our (many) admins focused on that primarily if we aren’t already doing it.   The international-izaton of the game is accelerating and is no fad.  Four of the very top players in the NBA are Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, and Doncic.  

You aren’t getting that caliber of a guy because they have so many options over there.  But, as we’ve seen with Arizona, you can get quality college players overseas.  IU has as much to offer these types of kids as anyone and not everyone is beating the bushes hard enough over there.   We’ve got the manpower and budget to pull it off.  

Yes, this is something I've harped on for a while.  Probably every team in the B10 has had a foreign player that was a starter or ccontributor over the past decade, while we've had essentially none.  As you mention, it's a fertile recruiting field overseas - one with players with more experience and fundamental skills than a lot of HS recruits.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bville_Hoosier said:

Do you know if he's a guard? 

Calbert Cheaney to CJ Gunn recently:

"I told CJ, I said, 'Look, you've got an opportunity to be pretty good. You remind me of Greg Graham.'"

Graham scored almost 1,600 points at Indiana and played six years in the NBA.

Was it just motivation by Calbert, or did he mean it?  I think we'll see this season.

• Like 3