IUBB Off-season 2023

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

The #s were the only thing that mattered in that post. 

Exactly.  I've been challenging my guys at the firehouse to build up to 20 reps on pull ups no rest.  In January I was at 5 or 6.  I'm now at 12ish.  Doing 60 total every 3 days, just the last few weeks trying to improve.  But for Malik to improve 10 reps in one year at 245 lbs.  Wow.  Strength.  That's what I have been dreaming off.  He is never going to be Blake Griffin and jump over a kia but he can bully college kids.  He's going to be a monster.   

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Exactly.  I've been challenging my guys at the firehouse to build up to 20 reps on pull ups no rest.  In January I was at 5 or 6.  I'm now at 12ish.  Doing 60 total every 3 days, just the last few weeks trying to improve.  But for Malik to improve 10 reps in one year at 245 lbs.  Wow.  Strength.  That's what I have been dreaming off.  He is never going to be Blake Griffin and jump over a kia but he can bully college kids.  He's going to be a monster.   

And his wingspan makes all of that way more difficult. 

Most importantly... we know Malik Reneau is a 365 day guy. Glad he's a Hoosier! 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, dgambill said:

Trey seems like one of those throw back Bob Knight guys…they get better every year and by the time they are a senior they are All-Big Ten.

....YESSSSS! The sad thing is they are so rare these days, because he is a HUGE reason for IU's successes. He's a player ANY college team in America would be excited to have, yet the pro scouts and NBA agents usually don't give him much serious attention. I hope that changes by the time he finishes at IU!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That shot off the bounce isn't something you see every day from a lot 7 footers...

We're gonna be hell to deal with in the front court... 

The key with Ware is going to be whether he plays with energy, effort and motivation consistently or not. 

If he does he'll be a lottery pick, if he doesn't he'll be losing minutes as the season goes on. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The key with Ware is going to be whether he plays with energy, effort and motivation consistently or not. 

If he does he'll be a lottery pick, if he doesn't he'll be losing minutes as the season goes on. 

I agree... But I also think Oregon losing Assistant Coach Chris Crutchfield had a lot to do with his attitude with the Ducks...

Being 18 and on your own for the first time then losing your connection to both home and the program was tough...

I have faith in Woody as a leader and I think he'll push the right buttons... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree... But I also think Oregon losing Assistant Coach Chris Crutchfield had a lot to do with his attitude with the Ducks...

Being 18 and on your own for the first time then losing your connection to both home and the program was tough...

I have faith in Woody as a leader and I think he'll push the right buttons... 

Agree with your point on Mike Woodson. I believe in him to push the right buttons as well. 

With that said, with some guys that isn't always enough. There has to be an internal drive and motivation. Ware has all the talent in the world, hopefully he's ready to play hard and play hard consistently. 

On 8/7/2023 at 9:22 AM, Zuckerkorn said:

Yes, this is something I've harped on for a while.  Probably every team in the B10 has had a foreign player that was a starter or ccontributor over the past decade, while we've had essentially none.  As you mention, it's a fertile recruiting field overseas - one with players with more experience and fundamental skills than a lot of HS recruits.

Ben Allen say hi lol

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree with your point on Mike Woodson. I believe in him to push the right buttons as well. 

With that said, with some guys that isn't always enough. There has to be an internal drive and motivation. Ware has all the talent in the world, hopefully he's ready to play hard and play hard consistently. 

I heard him (with HH?, or read somewhere) when he was asked about this, he said "Just watch me". Like I'll show you!

Hope that's the case. He certainly has the talent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DWB said:

I heard him (with HH?, or read somewhere) when he was asked about this, he said "Just watch me". Like I'll show you!

Hope that's the case. He certainly has the talent.

Love the attitude, proof will be in the pudding. 

IU's ceiling goes way up if Ware delivers on his potential consistently. He has the potential to be an absolute force defensively. 

It’s all up to Ware.  Crazy talent…AA/lottery level 

not sure matching up him with Edey is good for either team on defense 

Furst might have a chance 

Purdue might be more physical on perimeter defense this year based on early scrimmages 

X & TG give you guys great perimeter defense…hopefully Banks & Gunn can bring it too 

20 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Anybody know his numbers last year?

I think we can see why he didn't play long stretches at a time, last year, with those #s. 

14 bench reps in a year is crazy improvement. I'm sure it was 6 or 7 reps total, 20-21 now. Which is nutty with how long his arms are. 

Vert jump 4.5 inches in a year... again, crazy improvement. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2