The “What are we selling to recruits” thread…

Just now, IU Scott said:

Why do you forget about guys like Gunn, Banks, Newton and Cupps or are you already giving up on them. Well it use to be you were patient with freshman and let them develop but in today's instant gratification society you have to be great right away.

I've not given up on them but they're underclassmen with minimal experience and not who you should have in place if your goal is to compete for a conference title. Asking Banks and Gunn to go from end of bench rotation minutes to 25-30mpg solid rotation pieces is a massive ask and something they may not be ready for. I mean clearly the coaching staff was planning on adding additional help considering all the wing players they targeted in the portal. 

It very well could happen that one of those guys makes a major leap and plays consistently the entire year. But at the same time it's also a very real possibility that none of them make significant jumps and can't be counted on night in and night out and the teams success suffers from it. Is that really the gamble you want to take here? IU simply cannot afford another .500 type year in Woody's first year with his players. Too much a stake with the 24 and 25 recruiting classes to lay an egg next season. 

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Uh... Didn't the Big 10 Freshman of the Year play guard for us last year? 

Glad you can differentiate between individual and collective play. JHS was terrific individually for us in spurts last year and yet we still lost by 20 points in the second round. Yogi, Romeo, JBJ, JHS have all had some terrific individual play for us in the last several seasons, but overall our guard play has stunk. Missed tourney's in 5/7 seasons back that up.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Someone just joined an elite list...

58ce8d0c88744f4d0ab293805c536db9aa89c9aab09bf85508fc6a6f9bec8a01.thumb.jpg.224a81befdcc5cfe5fa70baf3fcda295.jpg

I don't mind debate or differing opinions so you have to be pretty extreme/ridiculous to make the list.   Congrats on your induction into the HSN Troll Hall of Fame!

Lol.

Thanks for letting me know that you're the most fragile poster on the board. I'll miss you not reading my future posts....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

JHS was terrific individually for us in spurts last year and yet we still lost by 20 points in the second round. 

If you're going to use the NCAA game as an indictment of our whole year, I guess you could view it like that...

Not very enlightened view though... 

• Like 4

Just now, IUFLA said:

If you're going to use the NCAA game as an indictment of our whole year, I guess you could view it like that...

Not very enlightened view though... 

You thought our overall guard play was good last year? It was a massive weakness. We got 14 points combined out of the 2-3 spots and Bates was literally non-existent the last 15 or so games. 

9 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

You thought our overall guard play was good last year? It was a massive weakness. We got 14 points combined out of the 2-3 spots and Bates was literally non-existent the last 15 or so games. 

It certainly wasn't "terrible" as you characterized it... Would have been better if we'd had XJ the whole year, but all things considered, and considering both ends of the floor, yeah... I'd say we were pretty good... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Based on your posts, I did a little research, or fact checking, so to speak....

Last year, JHS averaged 13.5 ppg, Bates 6.1 and Galloway 6.7. Unless I can't add, that totals almost 26.5 ppg--almost double what you claimed.

In 21-22 the 3 most productive guards combined for almost 23 ppg

You could argue that those two years, in offenses run through TJD, were not guard oriented. Yet they still produced a fair amount.

In 20-21 the top 3 guards averaged 29.8

19-20 27.9

18-29--Romeo's lone year there were 4 producing guards at a combined at 40.9 ppg

Not sure what stats you are looking at.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Someone just joined an elite list...

58ce8d0c88744f4d0ab293805c536db9aa89c9aab09bf85508fc6a6f9bec8a01.thumb.jpg.224a81befdcc5cfe5fa70baf3fcda295.jpg

I don't mind debate or differing opinions so you have to be pretty extreme/ridiculous to make the list.   Congrats on your induction into the HSN Troll Hall of Fame!

I had out him on ignore last week but you still see his post when someone else responds to that post. So it really doesn't help putting him on ignore

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Last year, JHS averaged 13.5 ppg, Bates 6.1 and Galloway 6.7. Unless I can't add, that totals almost 26.5 ppg--almost double what you claimed.

Good lord I said the 2 and 3 spots; Galloway (2) + Kopp (3) total equals 14 pts. JHS played point guard during the conference season. You may be able to add but you certainly can't read. 

30 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

We got 14 points combined out of the 2-3 spots

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In 21-22 the 3 most productive guards combined for almost 23 ppg

You could argue that those two years, in offenses run through TJD, were not guard oriented. Yet they still produced a fair amount.

In 20-21 the top 3 guards averaged 29.8

19-20 27.9

18-29--Romeo's lone year there were 4 producing guards at a combined at 40.9 ppg

Not sure what stats you are looking at.

The rest of your post is just nonsense. Arguing in a time frame where IU missed the tournament in 4 out of 5 times to try and justify a productive backcourt is just flat nonsense. Romeo be damned, the rest of IU's guards during the Archie Miller era were flat terrible. 

Edited by IndyResident16

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Good lord I said the 2 and 3 spots; Galloway (2) + Kopp (3) total equals 14 pts. JHS played point guard during the conference season. You may be able to add but you certainly can't read. 

The rest of your post is just nonsense. Arguing in a time frame where IU missed the tournament in 4 out of 5 tries to try and justify a productive backcourt is just flat nonsense. Romeo be damned, the rest of IU's guards during the Archie Miller era were flat terrible. 

First, I can read just fine.You didn't define "the conference season" Maybe if you're going to make an argument, be more specific. You are the one who claimed that over the last 6 years, the guard play has been horrible. I simply pointed out that you are wrong. Averaging double digits at a Power 5 school is not flat terrible. 

X did two seasons ago. Al and Armaan did in 20-21. Davante did in 19-20. Romeo. Robert Johnson averaged 14 ppg in 17-18. 

Not sure you can blame missing the tournament on the guards solely. But you just keep spouting your narrative.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I had out him on ignore last week but you still see his post when someone else responds to that post. So it really doesn't help putting him on ignore

Sure it does...especially when no one quotes the ignored comment!  It's not a perfect system, but putting ridiculous posters on mute certainly helps.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If everyone stops responding to him it would work out people are responding

It's hard to resist correcting some of the more ridiculous/outlandish statements made by trolls, but it's liberating when you finally get there.  I don't fault anyone for engaging...I've just decided personally, that five posters here are no longer with my time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

First, I can read just fine.You didn't define "the conference season" Maybe if you're going to make an argument, be more specific. You are the one who claimed that over the last 6 years, the guard play has been horrible. I simply pointed out that you are wrong. Averaging double digits at a Power 5 school is not flat terrible. 

X did two seasons ago. Al and Armaan did in 20-21. Davante did in 19-20. Romeo. Robert Johnson averaged 14 ppg in 17-18. 

Not sure you can blame missing the tournament on the guards solely. But you just keep spouting your narrative.

We've had an All-conference big in 6 straight seasons (Juwan Morgan x2 and TJD x4). What else would you blame it on? 

Al Durham averaging 10 points on 9 shot attempts at the tune of 38% and Devonte Green 11 points on 10 shot attempts is in fact flat terrible. Actually, it's arguably worse than terrible. It certainly isn't impressive. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

It's hard to resist correcting some of the more ridiculous/outlandish statements made by trolls, but it's liberating when you finally get there.  I don't fault anyone for engaging...I've just decided personally, that five posters here are no longer with my time.

I haven't seen Sark in a long time.  Wonder how he is doing

21 hours ago, Initial79 said:

There is NIL from your true name and social media presence. Again, the top athlete for that is a LSU gymnast among all sports. She gets like $50k per social post from brands who sponsor. She can wake up and say high and get $50k. IU does well there. 

Does she have a deal with a weed store?  :coffee:

9 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Clearly the staff has identified (several) of those types from all levels of play. The problem is that staff has whiffed on every single one of them. The staff seems to be selective in who they contact and while that is refreshing based on some of the previous regimes, it doesn't matter in the end if they go elsewhere.

I know everyone keeps saying May 11th, but that level of player is dwindling by the day. There's going to be more and more competition for that level of player as the portal window nears closing. Based on the staffs track record to date, the competition hasn't been friendly. 

I guarantee you, when it is all said and done, we're going to be happier with whoever we add in he portal than Michigan will be with Caleb Love.  Ignore the brand name dudes and the flashy mid-major guy ha everyone wants.  We'll get someone we end up being happy with.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but I think one of Banks, Gunn, or Newton is going to have a standout year and surprise us all...

One of the joys of watching IU basketball over the years is watching kids grow from year to year... That's why I'm so excited about this coming year... I love Trayce to death, but although he covered up a lot of flaws, we were too dependant on him to really be an elite team... This coming year is a huge opportunity for someone to bust out... And I think at least one, if not more, will take advantage... 

People who are sleeping on Caleb Banks are just sleeping period.  t would not surprise me at all that the reason he is still a Hoosier and not in the portal is because Woodson sat him down after the season and told him he had significant plans for him,

• Like 4