The “What are we selling to recruits” thread…

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How have we whiffed on every guy we went after when we got Water and Sparks 

8 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Scott—you’re literally not reading my posts. I’m not talking about Sparks and Ware. I’m talking about the most glaring weakness on our roster; perimeter scoring.

We’ve whiffed on literally every guard/wing that we’ve offered. We have 3 open scholarships and nearly 60 minutes a game to offer. We haven’t landed one guy. Not sure how you don’t see that is concerning?

And, you're obviously not reading his.  He was talking about Water, not Ware.  :coffee:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

People who are sleeping on Caleb Banks are just sleeping period.  t would not surprise me at all that the reason he is still a Hoosier and not in the portal is because Woodson sat him down after the season and told him he had significant plans for him,

I agree with the sleeping part. Not for a minute did I think he was going to enter the portal 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

You thought our overall guard play was good last year? It was a massive weakness. We got 14 points combined out of the 2-3 spots and Bates was literally non-existent the last 15 or so games. 

Are you seriously hanging that on the coaches given XJ's injury?  We're just supposed to have an all-conference level replacement on the bench ready to step in when an injury occurs?  If that is your criteria, I'm not sure there are very many coaches you're going to like.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Are you seriously hanging that on the coaches given XJ's injury?  We're just supposed to have an all-conference level replacement on the bench ready to step in when an injury occurs?  If that is your criteria, I'm not sure there are very many coaches you're going to like.  

I think his argument falls apart even easier when you actually look at what he is saying.

He is saying the guard, specifically scoring/wing type player has been a position of need and the staff has done nothing to address it -that summarizes his argument 

ok- first off, stop bringing up Archie and that mess. 100% irrelevant to this staff 

moving on- so, they didn’t immediately go get JHS and Tamar? JHS is totally different player without X injury in his role. Staff cannot control that. He would have been that scoring wing.

Tamar, yeah, rough year. Personal, didn’t develop etc. They also have guys that 100% should develop into quality.

So that had an injury and a top 50 not pan out in the whopping 2 years they have been here.  He keeps saying they have done nothing to address it. That is factually incorrect. 

He could have said, they need this or that and everyone to some level agrees. He could have said some guys haven’t worked out. But… he has made it clear his issue is the staff has not addressed this and that is his issue. Uh… they have and will continue to do so. 

now, my turn to call out how this thread is way off topic and not anything about what we are selling players 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Initial79 said:

He is saying the guard, specifically scoring/wing type player has been a position of need and the staff has done nothing to address it -that summarizes his argument 

I’m saying our overall guard/wing play has been bad the last several years, which isn’t inaccurate at all. Yes IU has had some good individual guard play over the years, but the overall quality of guard play has been severely lacking. Not sure how you can watch a team like UConn, Kansas, Miami, Etc and be like, “yeah our guards matchup with theirs”.

ok- first off, stop bringing up Archie and that mess. 100% irrelevant to this staff 

Two out of the three assistant’s were initially brought to Indiana by Archie. Totally relevant.

moving on- so, they didn’t immediately go get JHS and Tamar? JHS is totally different player without X injury in his role. Staff cannot control that. He would have been that scoring wing.

JHS plays much better with the ball in his hand than without and greatly benefitted from Xavier’s injury. He’s a first round pick because of it. The staff either catastrophically failed to develop Tamar or just severely misidentified his talent level. Either way, Tamar was a disaster here and vastly overrated.

So that had an injury and a top 50 not pan out in the whopping 2 years they have been here.  He keeps saying they have done nothing to address it. That is factually incorrect. 

He could have said, they need this or that and everyone to some level agrees. He could have said some guys haven’t worked out. But… he has made it clear his issue is the staff has not addressed this and that is his issue. Uh… they have and will continue to do so. 

now, my turn to call out how this thread is way off topic and not anything about what we are selling players 😉

Staff has done nothing to address the glaring problem in the backcourt and won’t have a NPOY candidate in the front court to bail them out.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I’m saying our overall guard/wing play has been bad the last several years, which isn’t inaccurate at all. Yes IU has had some good individual guard play over the years, but the overall quality of guard play has been severely lacking. Not sure how you can watch a team like UConn, Kansas, Miami, Etc and be like, “yeah our guards matchup with theirs”.

Two out of the three assistant’s were initially brought to Indiana by Archie. Totally relevant.

JHS plays much better with the ball in his hand than without and greatly benefitted from Xavier’s injury. He’s a first round pick because of it. The staff either catastrophically failed to develop Tamar or just severely misidentified his talent level. Either way, Tamar was a disaster here and vastly overrated.

Staff has done nothing to address the glaring problem in the backcourt and won’t have a NPOY candidate in the front court to bail them out.

All I get out of you using words like "catastrophically", "severely", "disaster", and "glaring" is that you're prone to overreacting... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All I get out of you using words like "catastrophically", "severely", "disaster", and "glaring" is that you're prone to overreacting... 

I don't know how you have effectively watched Indiana basketball for the last two plus decades and how you can't do anything but overreact at this point? I don't know about you, but there was a time in my life when Indiana was at the pinnacle of college basketball. IU routinely had some of the best backcourts not just in the Big Ten but in the entire country.

I get a general level of apathy has set in for some of the fan base and have a strong feeling I'm discoursing with several posters who have no clue what its like to see Indiana as an elite basketball program, but I will never lower my standards and accept the mediocrity that has plagued this one proud program. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

I don't know how you have effectively watched Indiana basketball for the last two plus decades and how you can't do anything but overreact at this point? I don't know about you, but there was a time in my life when Indiana was at the pinnacle of college basketball. IU routinely had some of the best backcourts not just in the Big Ten but in the entire country.

I get a general level of apathy has set in for some of the fan base and have a strong feeling I'm discoursing with several posters who have no clue what its like to see Indiana as an elite basketball program, but I will never lower my standards and accept the mediocrity that has plagued this one proud program. 

I have seen 3 national championships so yes I know the glory of Indiana Basketball. I still watch every game like I have my whole life. I have grown up and don't let the outcome of a game ruin my life. Some of us has patience and realize what happened with previous coaches had nothing to do with this coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen 3 national championships so yes I know the glory of Indiana Basketball. I still watch every game like I have my whole life. I have grown up and don't let the outcome of a game ruin my life. Some of us has patience and realize what happened with previous coaches had nothing to do with this coaching staff.

Oh I'm far past that point. Turning off games at half time have become the norm the last 10 or so years. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Maybe therapy is in store.  Please lay down on the nearest couch.  Close you eyes, count to ten, breath in slowly, release slowly.  Again. Again.  One more time.  Let your body relax.  Now.  Say these words.  The roster(repeat), is not(repeat), complete(repeat).  

Good.  How do you feel now?  

First session is always free.  I'm here everyday, though the schedule is filling up quickly as the weather improves.  God bless.  

Oh and repeat.  A healthy X is an all B1G point guard(repeat).  :coffee:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Can we just agree that…

- our wings haven’t been as great as we need them to be.

- we could’ve had a great back court last year, but XJ got injured (unfortunately we don’t know how good it would’ve been - arguing that hypothetical will us nowhere).

- In recruiting, Woody has had some hits….and some misses

- Some guys have developed in the program. Some haven’t.

- Woody is still in an evaluation phase. He hasn’t proved that he can get us to the next level. He hasn’t proved that he can’t get us to the next level.

- IU is doing well in NIL and has pretty good facilities, but some schools are better in one or both of these areas. 

I feel that in these 5 pages of back and fourth, these points have been largely agreed upon it’s a just a matter whether you are pessimistic or optimistic about the above. 

…..or maybe my comprehension has slipped because my brain has gone numb. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1