The “What are we selling to recruits” thread…

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If I'm reading this right, IU compares very well in NIL money for incoming players... 

I have no clue what incoming players will make their first year, but as a basketball player, your ceiling to maximize on your NIL profit earnings is far greater at a school like Indiana than it is at a school like Tennessee or Arkansas. And this exist for a multitude of reasons.

1. Indiana is a true "basketball school" whose NIL collectives and donors prioritize the basketball program first. Nobody at Arkansas or Tennessee came close to making TJD money last year and I doubt anybody made anything close to what Race Thompson made either, who would have been an 8th or 9th man at Tennessee or Arkansas last year. I know Race signed a deal with Merchants Bank of Indiana that was just shy of six figures to go along with the several hundreds of thousands he was given by the IU collectives. All in all, it's not unfathomable to think Race pulled in close to $500k in NIL earnings last year. Anthony Leal made over six figures last year through IU collectives and local businesses as the 13th scholarship player. Most fans at Arkansas and Tennessee don't know who their 13th scholarship player is. 

2. Despite any sort of recent success, Indiana is still considered a national basketball brand. With over 1.5 million followers, Indiana has the 4th largest following on social media behind Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina. Indiana has over a million more social media followers than Tennessee and Arkansas and more than both combined. Hell Arkansas baseball has more social media followers than its basketball team. Adidas signed 4 NCAA D1 Men's basketball players to their own ambassador deals last year and two of the four were IU players; TJD and Hood-Schifino. In terms of basketball, Tennessee and Arkansas basketball players are second rate athletes at their own respective schools and as far as Nike goes, third rate at best in terms of brand members. Nobody at Tennessee or Arkansas is signing an exclusive deal with Nike, their basketball teams just aren't marketable enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

How about the NIL$ average comparison?😂🤣😂

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If I'm reading this right, IU compares very well in NIL money for incoming players... 

15 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I have no clue what incoming players will make their first year, but as a basketball player, your ceiling to maximize on your NIL profit earnings is far greater at a school like Indiana than it is at a school like Tennessee or Arkansas. And this exist for a multitude of reasons.

1. Indiana is a true "basketball school" whose NIL collectives and donors prioritize the basketball program first. Nobody at Arkansas or Tennessee came close to making TJD money last year and I doubt anybody made anything close to what Race Thompson made either, who would have been an 8th or 9th man at Tennessee or Arkansas last year. I know Race signed a deal with Merchants Bank of Indiana that was just shy of six figures to go along with the several hundreds of thousands he was given by the IU collectives. All in all, it's not unfathomable to think Race pulled in close to $500k in NIL earnings last year. Anthony Leal made over six figures last year through IU collectives and local businesses as the 13th scholarship player. Most fans at Arkansas and Tennessee don't know who their 13th scholarship player is. 

2. Despite any sort of recent success, Indiana is still considered a national basketball brand. With over 1.5 million followers, Indiana has the 4th largest following on social media behind Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina. Indiana has over a million more social media followers than Tennessee and Arkansas and more than both combined. Hell Arkansas baseball has more social media followers than its basketball team. Adidas signed 4 NCAA D1 Men's basketball players to their own ambassador deals last year and two of the four were IU players; TJD and Hood-Schifino. In terms of basketball, Tennessee and Arkansas basketball players are second rate athletes at their own respective schools and as far as Nike goes, third rate at best in terms of brand members. Nobody at Tennessee or Arkansas is signing an exclusive deal with Nike, their basketball teams just aren't marketable enough. 

So then, going back to the title of this thread and maybe changing it a little--What aren't we selling to recruits?  If all of the statistics you guys have shown are accurate, where is the disconnect in the message that would cause major targets of our portal recruiting to go elsewhere?

If it's not the NIL $$,  not the message of CMW and his experience and links to the NBA, then what? Is it the facilities? Is it the lack of wing success? Is it the league style of play? 

Instead of focusing on the positives, wouldn't it make sense to address the perceived negatives?

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So then, going back to the title of this thread and maybe changing it a little--What aren't we selling to recruits?  If all of the statistics you guys have shown are accurate, where is the disconnect in the message that would cause major targets of our portal recruiting to go elsewhere?

If it's not the NIL $$,  not the message of CMW and his experience and links to the NBA, then what? Is it the facilities? Is it the lack of wing success? Is it the league style of play? 

Instead of focusing on the positives, wouldn't it make sense to address the perceived negatives?

I've said for the better part of 25 years (not necessarily just here) but the missing link in terms of once again becoming a national power is a competent coaching staff. Half wits like Davis and Crean have lucked into some success because of the resources IU has to offer. Not ready to completely shut the door on Woodson and staff but striking out on the recruiting trail both last fall for incoming 23 targets and the portal this year doesn't bode well for future success. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I've said for the better part of 25 years (not necessarily just here) but the missing link in terms of once again becoming a national power is a competent coaching staff. Half wits like Davis and Crean have lucked into some success because of the resources IU has to offer. Not ready to completely shut the door on Woodson and staff but striking out on the recruiting trail both last fall for incoming 23 targets and the portal this year doesn't bode well for future success. 

How did he "strike out" when he got a top 10 portal guy and 2 pretty good freshmen (Newton was as high as 74 before his knee injury) to come here?

I provided the NIL chart to kind of buttress the earlier point that NIL wasn't the issue... But I certainly don't think Woody and his coaching staff are the issue either... Missing on Ledlum and Knecht has some of you over the edge...

I don't know why they choose UT... Only they know that... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sustained success.  I think that is the biggest thing, especially when trying to go and get guys that aren't in the area.  18 year old kids from the South don't know much about Indiana basketball and what they do know is media driven misperceptions that probably don't help either.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How did he "strike out" when he got a top 10 portal guy and 2 pretty good freshmen (Newton was as high as 74 before his knee injury) to come here?

I provided the NIL chart to kind of buttress the earlier point that NIL wasn't the issue... But I certainly don't think Woody and his coaching staff are the issue either... Missing on Ledlum and Knecht has some of you over the edge...

I don't know why they choose UT... Only they know that... 

We have 3 open scholarships currently and are losing 5 of our top 6 guys who accounted for 61 points last year. We identified and put a full court press on at least 3 recruits for the 2023 class in the fall which at minimum should have been a 3 man class and didn't land one and we have yet to sign a perimeter player or scoring from the portal despite it being the obvious glaring weakness. 

I like the addition of Kel'el Ware, he has a ton of upside. But you're delusional if you think Kel'el Ware was the only piece IU needed to add this offseason. I understand that IU will eventually sign someone from the portal, likely two, but need guys who can step in and contribute heavily from day 1. I'm not convinced that is going to happen at this stage in the game. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

on3 ranking is about as good as their prediction score haha 

they are attempting to state their marketing value based on social media. This is totally separate from collectives and things like car dealer side deals. It is relevant but minor if that makes any sense 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This is a great way to put it. Irrational fans will say it is the staff.

rational fans seem at a loss. At some point, you have to realize maybe, just maybe we don’t understand this NIL and money coming in that well yet. Once that faucet was turned on, it allows for some schools to buy their way in. 

5 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

I've been saying for years that Indiana is going to have to hire a coach that is exciting and has a name. Someone who gives you instant street cred with the players today. 

You're not going to get that with guys like Archie Miller and Mike Woodson. They are as exciting as a bologna sandwich. 

Just now, Sea Turtle said:

I've been saying for years that Indiana is going to have to hire a coach that is exciting and has a name. Someone who gives you instant street cred with the players today. 

You're not going to get that with guys like Archie Miller and Mike Woodson. They are as exciting as a bologna sandwich. 

He's back.  Same old rag on everything sad old turdle. 

13 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Like who, did Duke or UNC hire a big name with street cred. Really good coaches are not leaving really good jobs for other top jobs anymore. I think a former NBA hear coach has some street cred with recruits especially when those NBA players talk how great Woodson is

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I heard Emeril Lagasse has some awesome street cred. Makes an ostentatious turtle soup. 
BAM!!