The “What are we selling to recruits” thread…

8 hours ago, Initial79 said:

It is not a single thing. It is everything those schools have. When you experience it, it is more impressive.  This is not about IU being a dump before Scott says that again.

Few examples

- those schools don’t share with other teams. Weight rooms, private chefs, etc for BB, Football, Baseball for some etc. IU shares lot of resources across all sports 

-weight room is just ok. Heck, Westfield High School has a better weight room. 

- athlete living spaces, lounges, game rooms, etc. you see some there. Is it crappy…‘heck no. Same as those schools, no.

- this also kills our football team even more than BB and these guys like sports. Played football (many did) and like good football to go watch. 

then they beat us on the court too. So… what do we have to sell? My opinion is Woody has been great at pulling some top guys. I also think it is interesting that Ware comes from better facilities, etc but for him, he came from a very bad situation. His focus is 100% different than those Knecht/Ledlum 

IUs weight room is just ok? You have to be kidding.  If half this stuff is the difference between a kid going to IU or somewhere else I wouldn't want him anyway. At some point you reach a point of diminishing returns and this stuff should hardly be noticeable. 

Maybe some these kids need to lower their expectations a bit. 

Edited by mrflynn03

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

IUs weight room is just ok? You have to be kidding.  If half this stuff is the difference between a kid going to IU or somewhere else I wouldn't want him anyway. At some point you reach a point of diminishing returns and this stuff should hardly be noticeable. 

Ok, sure. Then welcome to being mediocre. Look, you don’t have to like it. This is reality. These recruits care about all this stuff. Is it the most important no. Put it this way, let’s say it was 50/50 for a recruit. They were torn. This sways them. 

yes, the weight room is just ok. High Schools have better and it would rank maybe top half of D1 schools. 

I encouraged you and everyone to watch this video. This is Texas Tech - not football, basketball! This is their dedicated basketball facility. 

26 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Ok, sure. Then welcome to being mediocre. Look, you don’t have to like it. This is reality. These recruits care about all this stuff. Is it the most important no. Put it this way, let’s say it was 50/50 for a recruit. They were torn. This sways them. 

yes, the weight room is just ok. High Schools have better and it would rank maybe top half of D1 schools. 

I encouraged you and everyone to watch this video. This is Texas Tech - not football, basketball! This is their dedicated basketball facility. 

I seriously doubt high schools have better facilities than IU. I've seen photos of both. Carmels looks awesome but I don't think you can point out anything to say it's better. 

I just see a lot of stuff in these gyms now days you don't really need anyway. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Anybody not wearing Cream and Crimson colored glasses will quickly see those facilities are better than what IU has. And IU has very good facilities. Not elite.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Anybody not wearing Cream and Crimson colored glasses will quickly see those families are better than what IU has. And IU has very good facilities. Not elite.

Agree 

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I seriously doubt high schools have better facilities than IU. I've seen photos of both. Carmels looks awesome but I don't think you can point out anything to say it's better. 

I just see a lot of stuff in these gyms now days you don't really need anyway. 

Undoubtedly 

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I agree, but we need to upgrade in some areas, still. 

• Thanks 1

-New football indoor practice facility,turn Mellencamp into an indoor baseball/softball facility.

-Whatever upgrades the basketball team needs ... and maybe some of those upgrades just benefit all the athletes in general 

Those are the two biggest things for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree 

Undoubtedly 

I agree, but we need to upgrade in some areas, still. 

For sure. Just think it's a bit over the top to compare IUs training facilities to high schools. Of course some high schools out there probably do have equivalent or better but the vast majority don't.  

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

-New football indoor practice facility,turn Mellencamp into an indoor baseball/softball facility.

-Whatever upgrades the basketball team needs ... and maybe some of those upgrades just benefit all the athletes in general 

Football, 100%.  I hope that’s next on the agenda for internal plans.  Look at that Tech one and make it a model but switch it to football.   

I remember seeing a video of LSU’s and it was awesome too.  Each player has his own nice space.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think an indoor practice facility should be #1 priority if we want to attract talent from the south. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

For sure. Just think it's a bit over the top to compare IUs training facilities to high schools. Of course some high schools out there probably do have equivalent or better but the vast majority don't.  

It is hard on a message board to get a point across and not type a novel.

to the point - IU doesn’t compare to probably top 50? And then maybe equal to next 100 colleges for facilities

You would be surprised. Any affluent area or private high school has weight rooms and other facilities equal or better. Here is / pics from Westfield. I tried to find a video. This shows maybe 1/3 of weight room and they have many other facilities that would be equivalent. It is not just Carmel or Hamilton country. Heck, go look at Texas high schools.

again, just trying to point out this stuff all maters and Tenn. is one such school that makes it tough. They also have better NIL. 

254102C5-B0AD-4FA9-97E3-C0EC94EA2581.jpeg

95ACB18F-AC47-4E08-A404-F9279771160A.jpeg

• Like 1

Good Lord @Initial79... You and @BGleas act like I premised a whole  argument on why Ledlum didn't come to IU in the fact we couldn't show, in practical, real world application how he was going to be used... Nothing could be further from the truth...

My statement was...

"I thought about that a little the day Ledlum committed to Tennesee...We can show 50 hours of playing through Trayce, but our lack of modern day wing play makes tape on that important point basically nonexistent"

I also cited facilities (actually based on what you've been saying) NIL, and their coach (who's pretty good) in a later post... 

It would have been nice to show Ledlum (and we never got a chance to show Knecht) how he would be used based on player usage in the past... but no one said it was the reason he didn't pick IU...

Only one person really knows that answer... 

Just now, IUFLA said:

Good Lord @Initial79... You and @BGleas act like I premised a whole  argument on why Ledlum didn't come to IU in the fact we couldn't show, in practical, real world application how he was going to be used... Nothing could be further from the truth...

My statement was...

"I thought about that a little the day Ledlum committed to Tennesee...We can show 50 hours of playing through Trayce, but our lack of modern day wing play makes tape on that important point basically nonexistent"

I also cited facilities (actually based on what you've been saying) NIL, and their coach (who's pretty good) in a later post... 

It would have been nice to show Ledlum (and we never got a chance to show Knecht) how he would be used based on player usage in the past... but no one said it was the reason he didn't pick IU...

sorry man, really wasn’t my belief that was what you were saying at all. It was more than one person saying it and assembly call podcast conversation too. I was trying to address it all at once. 

I get just as frustrated haha. I feel like people keep searching for new answers and to me it is obvious. Now I see we got @Indyresident16 guy back again. He will go off about how I am crazy, IU is the best college, best NIL, best of everything. They instantly cure disease by stepping on campus and if Woody can’t close people with all that he sucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

My statement was...

yeah would hate to think Ledlum committed to UT over IU because UT has a cereal bar and Gatorade slushee machine and IU doesn’t. We all know that isn’t the case though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Initial79 said:

sorry man, really wasn’t my belief that was what you were saying at all. It was more than one person saying it and assembly call podcast conversation too. I was trying to address it all at once. 

I get just as frustrated haha. I feel like people keep searching for new answers and to me it is obvious. Now I see we got @Indyresident16 guy back again. He will go off about how I am crazy, IU is the best college, best NIL, best of everything. They instantly cure disease by stepping on campus and if Woody can’t close people with all that he sucks. 

I don’t think you’re crazy. Just think you’re severely misinformed and miss the bigger picture…repeatedly.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think an indoor practice facility should be #1 priority if we want to attract talent from the south. 

image.png.ce6e002f989a424337414eb5869c4907.png

image.thumb.jpeg.7633ae35f5abdab3b1571e32d79e42c9.jpeg

I agree they need to update their facilities but I don’t think that’s the difference in them being better year in year out. If that was really the most important factor I would assume Texas would be unbeatable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Common Sense said:

UCONN ran rough shot through the tournament in 2023 including destroying a couple southern football schools.    Kansas won it all in 2022.  Just follow their blueprint.

And their facilities are CRAP. If the only thing players cared about were Xbox stations and juice bars in the locker room, programs like UConn and Gonzaga wouldn’t exist. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

UCONN ran rough shot through the tournament in 2023 including destroying a couple southern football schools.    Kansas won it all in 2022.  Just follow their blueprint.

Speaking of Kansas:

“Because Self wanted to be on the phone. He felt the need “to be living in the portal,” the transfer portal. There, he has the potential to find multiple guys to add to Kansas’ roster ahead of next season who can help the Jayhawks compete for more championships.”

“We’ve got work to do before we’re a top 10 team,” Self said, “but I’m really hopeful within weeks everybody would say, ‘They should be ranked higher than a top 10 team.’”

“i feel like, that right now, moving forward, when you say, ‘What do we need to be successful?’ We’ve got it,” Self said. “In the past, when you’d ask me, ‘What do we need to be successful?’ Well, we need to get this, this, this done. So, I feel as good about it as I ever had. We’ve been good for a long time, but I can’t imagine us taking a step backwards — maybe sideways, but definitely not backwards.”

https://www.cjonline.com/story/sports/college/hawk-zone/2023/04/05/ku-basketball-coach-bill-self-feels-the-need-to-live-in-the-portal/70081132007/

I don't know what the total was for Cook Hall or when the Texas Tech facility was built, but the Cook's gave $15,000,000 spread out over 15 years to fund that facility.  The commitment at the time would equal what is today a $20M commitment.  They still have 2 more payments to make on that facility.  When it was built, it was among the best in the country.  Now we need to do it again.  At a certain point, this is a waste of money for something that like 30 people at any given time get to enjoy.  

We are in an arms race with schools that make 10's to even about a hundred million more than Indiana.  This is an unwinnable game.

9 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

The football team is not very good because of coaching.  

The football team isn't very good because of players.  The paychecks from TV are the only thing that benefits IU right now.  It is going to be next to impossible to build a consistently good program here.  The best you can hope for is the Purdue lightning in a bottle coach with a new way to play the game type of approach once in a blue moon.  Getting put in the division we did was no favor either.  "We need support..."  You have to have consistent winning for that.

This program can't support the NIL money you would need to build a real winner now.

• Like 1