IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

I'm not sorry for thinking this and I guarantee I'm not the only one but a 5 star does have higher expectations.  I still have hope it will click.  

There has been a handful of 5 star disappointments over the years.  I remember a Villanova guy about 5 years ago.  Cal has had a few that weren't as advertised.   I wonder what the ratio is?  One in 25 5 star guys that aren't instant impact?

The brighter side.  Likely not a one and done unless he majorly flips a switch.  The other bright side.  If the lights do come on, it's exactly what's needed.  

The quote is a coach standing up for his guy.   It's not bs.  5 stars should be able to play d1 basketball. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not sorry for thinking this and I guarantee I'm not the only one but a 5 star does have higher expectations.  I still have hope it will click.  

There has been a handful of 5 star disappointments over the years.  I remember a Villanova guy about 5 years ago.  Cal has had a few that weren't as advertised.   I wonder what the ratio is?  One in 25 5 star guys that aren't instant impact?

The brighter side.  Likely not a one and done unless he majorly flips a switch.  The other bright side.  If the lights do come on, it's exactly what's needed.  

The quote is a coach standing up for his guy.   It's not bs.  5 stars should be able to play d1 basketball. 

I don’t think you’re wrong. Not only is Mgbako a 5 star but he is a consensus top 10 player…or in other words, a high 5 star. It’s very reasonable to think Mgbako would or will have a strong season. In all honesty, after the Ware commitment and then Mgbako, I figured we were a top 25 team…obviously, we’re far from it. 
Mgbako needs to learn the game. Some of the basic fundamentals are lacking…for example, keeling your eye on the the player with the ball but also not turning your back to the person you’re guarding which allows a back cut. 

With all this said, Mgbako has tremendous upside and I believe in him and I’m sure Woodson is continuously working with MM. We’re all waiting for the breakout game and for it to click…I suspect it will happen sooner rather than later. If it happens, and he becomes the player we know he is, it’s going to greatly help our team….and when that happens, let’s keep him out of the “Miller Kopp stand in the corner” role. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I don’t think you’re wrong. Not only is Mgbako a 5 star but he is a consensus top 10 player…or in other words, a high 5 star. It’s very reasonable to think Mgbako would or will have a strong season. In all honesty, after the Ware commitment and then Mgbako, I figured we were a top 25 team…obviously, we’re far from it. 
Mgbako needs to learn the game. Some of the basic fundamentals are lacking…for example, keeling your eye on the the player with the ball but also not turning your back to the person you’re guarding which allows a back cut. 

With all this said, Mgbako has tremendous upside and I believe in him and I’m sure Woodson is continuously working with MM. We’re all waiting for the breakout game and for it to click…I suspect it will happen sooner rather than later. If it happens, and he becomes the player we know he is, it’s going to greatly help our team….and when that happens, let’s keep him out of the “Miller Kopp stand in the corner” role. 

Not to point you out, but as I read this I had a thought. Yeah I know probably kept to myself but here it is. Could MM’s early season struggles be a blessing in disguise? Everyone was talking how recruits took notice of Fino, so if MM shows up lacking that’s not on coach other than maybe player evaluation. Now hear me out, if he develops into the player we hope he can, that shows everyone that Coach and staff really DO develop players unlike a certain coach to the south that just has a myth!

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Not to point you out, but as I read this I had a thought. Yeah I know probably kept to myself but here it is. Could MM’s early season struggles be a blessing in disguise? Everyone was talking how recruits took notice of Fino, so if MM shows up lacking that’s not on coach other than maybe player evaluation. Now hear me out, if he develops into the player we hope he can, that shows everyone that Coach and staff really DO develop players unlike a certain coach to the south that just has a myth!

Yeah…it would be very good for Woodson. I think it’s clear that Mgbako lacks understanding some fundamentals and if he comes out and develops him…that would be great! 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

Haven't watched a ton of MM's high school "tape", but I suspect he's never really had to play (what I would call) "real" defense. He's big for his position, and can certainly be intimidating at the high school level, but in college he's not head and shoulders above most others playing his position.

He has a great stroke. But he's severely lacking in understanding how to play defense at the college level, and this could shake some of his confidence on the offensive end as well.

I have no doubt he will improve substantially over the course of this season and into next season, wherever he's at.

I liked his aggressiveness at the start of the L'ville game. Got a lousy call on one of the fouls that took him out early in the half.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DWB said:

Haven't watched a ton of MM's high school "tape", but I suspect he's never really had to play (what I would call) "real" defense. He's big for his position, and can certainly be intimidating at the high school level, but in college he's not head and shoulders above most others playing his position.

He has a great stroke. But he's severely lacking in understanding how to play defense at the college level, and this could shake some of his confidence on the offensive end as well.

I have no doubt he will improve substantially over the course of this season and into next season, wherever he's at.

I liked his aggressiveness at the start of the L'ville game. Got a lousy call on one of the fouls that took him out early in the half.

I like Coach supporting MM.  Our fifth starter situation is quite a puzzle.  I love what Banks did the other day.  Gunn is showing his potential.  But I am not ready to say either should be starting.  

MM does show glimpses of what he can be on offense.  He can get himself a look and he squares up nicely.  

Having said that, it’s quite apparent that his New Jersey high school coaching was lacking.  He’s ill- prepared.  He gets lost way too easily and has been too reliant on his reputation.

It’s obvious that there’s potential.  Even if he’s having trouble learning the game, he has enough ability to not embarrass himself defensively.  The problem is he needs to show determination on defense.  Even if you are lost and were not taught basics, you can have a determination that I am going to stop my man.   Unfortunately that light bulb isn’t there.  He’s way too casual on defense.  It’s utterly baffling that he won’t get into a stance and confounding why that’s being tolerated.  At 6’8, he can move enough to guard but it’s hopeless if he doesn’t get into a stance because he’s not Scottie Pippen athletically.   

He can do it.  He can bring the scoring. He can get shots and he can square up and make them.  Is he the best shooter since Jay Edwards as Leary tried to say?  I appreciate Todd’s enthusiasm but that goes to show ex players are often no better than seasoned fans in analysis.  If he gets into a stance and gets a motor on D he can be adequate.  It’s up to him.  NBA in a year is off the table unless there’s a drastic, drastic change.  It’s up to him because there’s potential but he’s got to get off enigma status.  

Malik scoring output- 15, 14, 16, 18, 12, 17-- crazy consistent. 

Avg 15ppg 61% FG 4r 3a 

More improvement rebounding the ball, more improvement defending the perimeter. His stepping into a major role and flourishing offensively has been nice to see. Avg over 2TOs per game, so hopefully he cuts some of those out. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Malik scoring output- 15, 14, 16, 18, 12, 17-- crazy consistent. 

Avg 15ppg 61% FG 4r 3a 

More improvement rebounding the ball, more improvement defending the perimeter. His stepping into a major role and flourishing offensively has been nice to see. Avg over 2TOs per game, so hopefully he cuts some of those out. 

He just has to get better rebounding if playing a big lineup is going to work. I love how he can score, I love his interior passing (would like to see him improve on finding guys on the perimeter, but wow can he find Ware!). The rebounds numbers though... just not even close to good enough. He needs to be as much of a bully rebounding as he is once he has the ball. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He just has to get better rebounding if playing a big lineup is going to work. I love how he can score, I love his interior passing (would like to see him improve on finding guys on the perimeter, but wow can he find Ware!). The rebounds numbers though... just not even close to good enough. He needs to be as much of a bully rebounding as he is once he has the ball. 

We also need him to not pick up dumb fouls.  Asking him to be more of a bully when rebounding makes me nervous, though I understand what you’re saying.  Maybe it’s just your choice of the term bully.   😂. LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm composing my Christmas card to Dana Altman as we speak...

"Thank you for the gift..."

;) 

I'm with you. 

Kel'el is damn good. You can see why he struggled at 7ft 205 last year!!! That's malpractice allowing him to play at that weight. 

No doubt CMW and staff have gotten through to him. He "fights". 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm with you. 

Kel'el is damn good. You can see why he struggled at 7ft 205 last year!!! That's malpractice allowing him to play at that weight. 

No doubt CMW and staff have gotten through to him. He "fights". 

That and he was the only freshman on the team that already had 2 good, experienced bigs (Dante and Bittle) and the coach that recruited him, Chris Crutchfield, left to coach at Omaha...

You can tell in the post game he's a little uncomfortable with the limelight...Shy kid, but as you said, Woody and staff are getting through to him...

Some very interesting lineup data here, while understanding the sample sizes are still small. 

Interesting that Cupps is in two of our better lineups, and also that Banks performs better with the starting group. 

Probably the real big takeaway is you can't just throw all of the bench guys in together. Shorter rotation and sprinkle the bench in with the starters. 

• Like 7

As a note, in a comment in this X thread someone asked Tony what the worst rate IU has had during the Miller or Woodson eras and it was last season at -11.2, so our rate is much, much worse this season. 

Something that helps offset this a tad is that Ware and Reneau are much better free throw shooters than TJD and Race were. 

So our bigs drawing fouls and getting to the line really helps. 

But, these are still concerning numbers. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Just purchased a 12 month subscription (Black Friday Promo) for Peacock for only $19.99. Regular price is $59.99 - can cancel anytime. Only good through today, so I thought I’d try it considering there are several games (men & women) on Peacock this season. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

just to strike up conversation - thought on Cupps vs Braden Smith?  if Gabe was in Purdue's system and was the starting PG all season, would he be comparable to what Smith was last season?  just a random thing i was pondering.  thoughts?  

With Edy to cover his mistakes probably!