IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

Obviously I know nothing, so take it for what is worth, but it sure seems to me that Mac would be better suited (at least right now) to playing with the second unit. He would more likely be the go-to offensive option and get more shots. He would also, hopefully, be playing a second unit defensive assignment. Who you put in to start I don't know, but CJ would be my first option.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, DC2345 said:

To me I think Woodson has treated these first two games as extra exhibition games. They haven't ran much offensively and it honestly doesn't look like they've done much game prep for these first two opponents. I personally don't like that and I'm hoping the team looks better prepared moving forward. I also think he's just trying to get a lot of guys playing time to see who can play and who can't even if it means the lineup combinations aren't good and look awful together as a whole. 

I totally agree. I relate it to NFL pre-season football games. I do think he has kept things sort of vanilla, especially with the learning curve of so many new faces. I foresee an uptick in play all around, Thursday night. JMO.

37 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Obviously I know nothing, so take it for what is worth, but it sure seems to me that Mac would be better suited (at least right now) to playing with the second unit. He would more likely be the go-to offensive option and get more shots. He would also, hopefully, be playing a second unit defensive assignment. Who you put in to start I don't know, but CJ would be my first option.

Completely understand your point, though would add to it that it needs to be backing up Reneau. His involvement offensively won't change on the 2nd unit if he's still in the "Kopp stand in the corner" role. 

54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely understand your point, though would add to it that it needs to be backing up Reneau. His involvement offensively won't change on the 2nd unit if he's still in the "Kopp stand in the corner" role. 

It is mostly personnel.   So long as Malik is playing the 4 spot we are playing slower ball.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

I gave you a crazy look bc I don’t think CJ has earned playing time at all, let alone with the first group. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, DWB said:

After watching the 2 exhibition games and the FGC game, I forecasted the rest of the non-conf schedule.

I figure we'll be lucky to be 8-3 for non-B1G games before 1-1-24.

I've got us 13-7 in the conf. And that might be generous.

13-7….. take those cream colored glasses off! 😂 Hope you’re right, but I’m very pessimistic after the first two games. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maedhros said:

This is a concern 

IDK if this is as big of a deal as everyone is making it to be. IU is BIIIIG. We start 6'3", 6'5", 6'8", 6'9" and 7'0"... sprinkle in  a 6'10, 2 more 6'8" and a 6'6" especially from the likes of FGCU and Army, there aren't going to be many teams that will be like, "yup, i think we are going to beat this team by scoring 40 paint points."

my brain: Breath in.  "Stay positive." Breath out. "Stay positive." Breath in. "Stay positive."

• Like 3

The lack of 3 point attempts on offense is being way overblown. Particularly against army, the offense was efficient (especially in the 2nd half) when it wasn’t turning the ball over. The issue was we turned it over on 27% of possessions, which is dreadful. Eventually we’ll need to shoot more 3s when we play teams that can match our size, but against smaller teams we should absolutely be taking advantage of our size in the paint.

On defense, it was clear in both the FGC and Army games that they realized early on that going into the paint was going to lead to a high probability of a blocked shot, which led to both trying to beat us from the perimeter. We had way too many miscommunications that led to open 3s - and that needs to get much better. However, our effectiveness at protecting the rim played a big factor in both those teams shooting a lot of 3s. If we cut down on the miscommunications and ensure the 3s our contested, I’m fine if other teams shoot a lot of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

IDK if this is as big of a deal as everyone is making it to be. IU is BIIIIG. We start 6'3", 6'5", 6'8", 6'9" and 7'0"... sprinkle in  a 6'10, 2 more 6'8" and a 6'6" especially from the likes of FGCU and Army, there aren't going to be many teams that will be like, "yup, i think we are going to beat this team by scoring 40 paint points."

my brain: Breath in.  "Stay positive." Breath out. "Stay positive." Breath in. "Stay positive."

We need to turn that size into a rebounding advantage

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

Minus CJ, I think you make a really interesting point here.

22 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I gave you a crazy look bc I don’t think CJ has earned playing time at all, let alone with the first group. 

I understand, but my thinking was this,  CJ might not give you better offense with the starters than Mac, but the starters don't need as much offensive help as defensive help. CJ at least brings defensive energy and quickness to what seems to me is a less quick starting lineup. Again, what do I know. 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Minus CJ, I think you make a really interesting point here.

I have a really hard time seeing any argument that includes more time for CJ. If Gunn can't start hitting shots, and he's shown no reason to make us think he can, at some point in the near future Leal needs to start taking his minutes. I say that accepting that Woodson doesn't think Leal is a power 5 player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

I understand, but my thinking was this,  CJ might not give you better offense with the starters than Mac, but the starters don't need as much offensive help as defensive help. CJ at least brings defensive energy and quickness to what seems to me is a less quick starting lineup. Again, what do I know. 

I haven’t watched CJ closely enough on the defensive end when he’s been in. And I get your take on the other end, but his problem is that he doesn’t understand what a good shot is. If he touches the ball, he’s shooting. If he understands shooting in rhythm then that’s a different story. Just not thrilled with him so far. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I haven’t watched CJ closely enough on the defensive end when he’s been in. And I get your take on the other end, but his problem is that he doesn’t understand what a good shot is. If he touches the ball, he’s shooting. If he understands shooting in rhythm then that’s a different story. Just not thrilled with him so far. 

I wonder if he lights it up in practice?  He sure operates as if he has the green light but man, lessen the degree of difficulty by 2 or 3 notches, take shots in rhythm and let things come to you.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I wonder if he lights it up in practice?  He sure operates as if he has the green light but man, lessen the degree of difficulty by 2 or 3 notches, take shots in rhythm and let things come to you.  

The thing with that is he hasn't even hit the good shots at an efficient clip during his time at IU. 

Sunday he airballed a wide open corner 3. In the last exhibition game he airballed a open baseline jumper and on an open mid-range shot he barely grazed the front of the rim. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The thing with that is he hasn't even hit the good shots at an efficient clip during his time at IU. 

Sunday he airballed a wide open corner 3. In the last exhibition game he airballed a open baseline jumper and on an open mid-range shot he barely grazed the front of the rim. 

Maybe he needs Rick Vaughn glasses?!

They look good! Besides seeing is more important.

• Haha 2

Honestly, I think it comes down to this...I said to any IU fan coming into the season that I thought Mbako was the key.  Said we should know what we are getting from X and Galloway.  Had a feeling we'd know pretty much what we were getting from Reneau.  Figured Ware would be a little up and down, but solid.  I said I thought Mbako was more of a 4 who could shoot in HS and if we were going to be like top 15-25 good he would have to immediately be a legit 3 and likely lead us in scoring.   

6 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Has anyone received their ticket assignments for the Harvard game in Indy yet? Coming up Sunday we'll be a week out from the event, but I've heard nothing.

Pretty sure that the Harvard seat assignments are in IU ticket accounts but as of a day or so ago the digital tickets still weren't downloadable.