IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

Good stuff.  Just from the little snippet, I hear the type of things I want to hear from IU's coach.  Maybe it's imagined on my part, but I can't vision a coach that did not play here giving that same speech, and if he did, I don't think it would resonate as much with me.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Good stuff.  Just from the little snippet, I hear the type of things I want to hear from IU's coach.  Maybe it's imagined on my part, but I can't vision a coach that did not play here giving that same speech, and if he did, I don't think it would resonate as much with me.   

Absolutely! It's a great clip and I love Woodson's message and how hes delivering it, for sure!

• Like 3

Right after Uconn, this is how I see things:

- Defense is going to get progressively better; around early January, people will be saying we are a tough defensive team

- CJ Gunn is going to find his shot; he's so close, and I think he's going to start hitting more consistently soon

- Mgbako is either going to start playing, or start sitting; right now, he's not even trying.  As Jay Williams pointed out several times, he doesn't even get in a stance on defense.  I'm so sick of hearing that he should be playing at the 4 - it won't matter until he gives even a modicum of effort.  Up until now, he just out-talented everyone around him, and he's got that attitude - he needs to learn to play hard.  I hope he starts playing - we could be a very good team if he does.

- Offense isn't going to look pretty until at least Feb, if it ever does, but it will look better than it does now

- We will be much, much better in a month than we are right now - we held our own against Uconn for most of the game; we gave up when Reneau fouled out - I think our mental toughness will improve, but everyone has to start giving more effort first

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Right after Uconn, this is how I see things:

- Defense is going to get progressively better; around early January, people will be saying we are a tough defensive team

- CJ Gunn is going to find his shot; he's so close, and I think he's going to start hitting more consistently soon

- Mgbako is either going to start playing, or start sitting; right now, he's not even trying.  As Jay Williams pointed out several times, he doesn't even get in a stance on defense.  I'm so sick of hearing that he should be playing at the 4 - it won't matter until he gives even a modicum of effort.  Up until now, he just out-talented everyone around him, and he's got that attitude - he needs to learn to play hard.  I hope he starts playing - we could be a very good team if he does.

- Offense isn't going to look pretty until at least Feb, if it ever does, but it will look better than it does now

- We will be much, much better in a month than we are right now - we held our own against Uconn for most of the game; we gave up when Reneau fouled out - I think our mental toughness will improve, but everyone has to start giving more effort first

i wish i were as optimistic as you about anything in life!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It worked because LVille can’t shoot 

That’s true, but part of the reason we do so poorly guarding the 3 is because we over help and leave guys wide open or we have a miscommunication on defending screens (or sometimes a combination of two on one play). I don’t remember having those either of those issues when we went zone last night.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i mean isn't that what game planning is? Arent you supposed to do things that force the other team to do things they arent good at?

at what point does IU get any kind of credit?

Hell in the post-game thread, they acted like it mattered who's idea it was to run the zone. 🤣

Like WTF

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i mean isn't that what game planning is? Arent you supposed to do things that force the other team to do things they arent good at?

at what point does IU get any kind of credit?

You misinterpreted. I had already praised IU’s use of the zone in the postgame thread. But the question was will we see more of it. My point was it may work against teams that can’t shoot the three. It wouldn’t work against teams like KY or St Joe’s last night that made 13 and 12 threes against each other and shot over 40%. So it wouldn’t solve our perimeter defense against good shooting teams. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You misinterpreted. I had already praised IU’s use of the zone in the postgame thread. But the question was will we see more of it. My point was it may work against teams that can’t shoot the three. It wouldn’t work against teams like KY or St Joe’s last night that made 13 and 12 threes against each other and shot over 40%. So it wouldn’t solve our perimeter defense against good shooting teams. 

fair. That's my fault. I haven't been reading everything as this attitude of this board currently gets me more irritated than being down to Louisville with 7 minutes to go. 

Definitely a big difference in game planning between HS girls and college men, but I always liked to spend a lot of time on MM offense, principles, etc. and also work on one half court zone to be good at.  Always liked for MM to be our primary D, but in HS, you never know what your personnel will be year to year since you can't recruit (legally).  For that reason, every once in a while I had a team that played our zone better.  Regardless we would scout teams and decide if we thought they played better vs MM or zone and somewhat base our gameplan on that.  Of course college men can shoot it a lot better and move the ball with much more ease, so not sure how well that works at that level.

I was as happy as the next guy to see Banks and Walker show promise.  I'm not convinced either address any of our problems other than making us feel better about depth though.  I think offense is awful rough any time you have 3 of Walker, Banks, Reneau, Ware, and Sparks in at the same time.   

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just want to say, I hope Woody pulls Mgbako aside sometime and tells his, "you're still starting, and if you're open, I expect you to shoot it." 

I couldn't read his lips when MM came out with the 2 quick fouls in the 1st half, but there was no doubt in my mind that Woody was consoling him and letting him know he had his back. I've seen that a couple of times with Woody/MM. Very low key tone, as opposed to giving X the business on this 3rd foul.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DWB said:

I couldn't read his lips when MM came out with the 2 quick fouls in the 1st half, but there was no doubt in my mind that Woody was consoling him and letting him know he had his back. I've seen that a couple of times with Woody/MM. Very low key tone, as opposed to giving X the business on this 3rd foul.

The thing with MM’s two quick fouls, as I remember it, is that they were sins of commission not omission. He didn’t lose his man or not get in a defensive stance, he fouled trying to play aggressive defense, which is what a lot of us have been begging for. He will learn to play smarter and we will see less of that, at least I hope he does. I’d rather have aggressive MM than passive MM. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Definitely a big difference in game planning between HS girls and college men, but I always liked to spend a lot of time on MM offense, principles, etc. and also work on one half court zone to be good at.  Always liked for MM to be our primary D, but in HS, you never know what your personnel will be year to year since you can't recruit (legally).  For that reason, every once in a while I had a team that played our zone better.  Regardless we would scout teams and decide if we thought they played better vs MM or zone and somewhat base our gameplan on that.  Of course college men can shoot it a lot better and move the ball with much more ease, so not sure how well that works at that level.

I was as happy as the next guy to see Banks and Walker show promise.  I'm not convinced either address any of our problems other than making us feel better about depth though.  I think offense is awful rough any time you have 3 of Walker, Banks, Reneau, Ware, and Sparks in at the same time.   

Now that is good, solid stuff...

Kudos...