IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

9 minutes ago, DWB said:

I've got no problem with Woody deciding on the punishment. I'm sure it will be proportionate to the actual offense.

However....this is where I part company with today's culture. I don't think it should be handled "internally". I think it needs to have the bright rays of sunshine put on it, and expose this actions and punishment publicly. If he gets "offended" fine by me. Maybe he'll think twice before putting himself in a precarious position in the future.

Not sure what "today's culture" has to do with it? I can all but guarantee you stuff like this was handled internally during Bob Knight's tenure that you never even heard about. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure what "today's culture" has to do with it? I can all but guarantee you stuff like this was handled internally during Bob Knight's tenure that you never even heard about. 

IMO, "today's culture" is everybody has their panties in a wad that someone is going to get "offended". BFD. 

When I was 18, I did something stupid, and since the punishment was somewhat public, I never even came close to crossing that line again. Haven't even had a parking ticket since. 

• Like 1

As others said, Criminal Trespass could be a wide range of things.

So, instead, 'let's focus on the Resisting Law Enforcement aspect of it.  The most likely scenario is that he simply tried to flee the scene.  A teenager running from the police when they are doing something wrong.  Dumb decision, but a perfectly natural reaction by a teenager.  However, if you take the analysis of that to the next level, some other questions arise.

• Was he by himself?  If not, did others with him successfully flee?  If so, are they also affiliated with the basketball program?  Could there be other punishments as well once Woodson has the full grasp of the situation?
  • Despite the potential look/impact of the above bullet, if he was actually by himself, it may be even more concerning.  A group of kids getting into mischief is one thing.  Think Windy City 5.  A singular kid getting into mischief, in my opinion, raises more red flags, and will often point to even a more serious violation, especially at that time of night.  It's gives the appearance that someone wants to do something unseen by others. 

I've always been a glass half empty kind of guy.  But, I don't feel good about it if he was alone with whatever occurred.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

IMO, "today's culture" is everybody has their panties in a wad that someone is going to get "offended". BFD. 

When I was 18, I did something stupid, and since the punishment was somewhat public, I never even came close to crossing that line again. Haven't even had a parking ticket since. 

I don't think people 'getting offended' is why Mike Woodson often handles things internally. 

This is already infinitely more public than it would have been when you were 18 or when Bob Knight was coach. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, DWB said:

IMO, the people with "their panties in a wad" are the ones constantly complaining about "today's culture."

• Like 7

And, regardless of how this turns out and what it was he did, it's disheartening to have this topic be the primary conversation point less than 24 hours after this thread was opened.  For me this thread was going to be a therapeutic escape from the college football season.  So much for that idea.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As others said, Criminal Trespass could be a wide range of things.

So, instead, 'let's focus on the Resisting Law Enforcement aspect of it.  The most likely scenario is that he simply tried to flee the scene.  A teenager running from the police when they are doing something wrong.  Dumb decision, but a perfectly natural reaction by a teenager.  However, if you take the analysis of that to the next level, some other questions arise.

• Was he by himself?  If not, did others with him successfully flee?  If so, are they also affiliated with the basketball program?  Could there be other punishments as well once Woodson has the full grasp of the situation?
  • Despite the potential look/impact of the above bullet, if he was actually by himself, it may be even more concerning.  A group of kids getting into mischief is one thing.  Think Windy City 5.  A singular kid getting into mischief, in my opinion, raises more red flags, and will often point to even a more serious violation, especially at that time of night.  It's gives the appearance that someone wants to do something unseen by others. 

I've always been a glass half empty kind of guy.  But, I don't feel good about it if he was alone with whatever occurred.  

Do not remind me of the Windy City 5. I'm curious what the police report will say if we see it.

Edited by Coach1K

Entirely speculation, but could it be that Mgbako misunderstood the shelter in place command described in the link below and sheltered somewhere without permission?  The timeline is about right.  Wouldn't explain the resisting arrest charge, but could be an honest reason for being somewhere he wasn't invited to be. 

https://www.wishtv.com/news/education/iu-police-armed-robbery-on-campus-causes-early-morning-lockdown/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Entirely speculation, but could it be that Mgbako misunderstood the shelter in place command described in the link below and sheltered somewhere without permission?  The timeline is about right.  Wouldn't explain the resisting arrest charge, but could be an honest reason for being somewhere he wasn't invited to be. 

https://www.wishtv.com/news/education/iu-police-armed-robbery-on-campus-causes-early-morning-lockdown/

Stole the student's shoes?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He's 19 years old and a human. Hard pass. 

I get that, but it seems that with the advent of social media, this generation wants every aspect of their lives broadcast for public consumption, maybe this is an opportunity to teach a larger lesson.  Also, anyone know if there are behavior clauses in NIL deals?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

No doubt.  Do you want to go to jail or do you want me to call CBK?  Haha. Take me to jail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Criminal trespass and resisting law enforcement could be something like a party being broken up and refusing to leave.  If he wasn't drinking and was at a friend's, I could see someone getting belligerent about that and telling the police to "F off, I haven't done anything wrong."

Dumb response IMO but that stuff happens...particularly at that age.  The main thing that these guys need to learn is that they aren't like every other student and that sometimes that means being a little more responsible about how, where, and when you spend your free time.

"Criminal trespass happens when a person enters someone else's property and intends to commit a crime or when the person is asked to leave the property and refuses. In Indiana, criminal trespass is a misdemeanor punishable by fines."

https://www.oflaherty-law.com/learn-about-law/what-are-trespassing-laws-in-indiana#:~:text=Criminal trespass happens when a,a misdemeanor punishable by fines.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

FWIW--- there are multiple posters on other sites that are stating this is a whole lot of nothing. 

Respectable poster mentioned-- "If the version I heard is basically accurate? Think of it this way, if Xavier’s arrest, given he was sober, was about a 4/10 on the ‘big problem’ scale, this would be a 1/10."

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Criminal trespass and resisting law enforcement could be something like a party being broken up and refusing to leave.  If he wasn't drinking and was at a friend's, I could see someone getting belligerent about that and telling the police to "F off, I haven't done anything wrong."

Dumb response IMO but that stuff happens...particularly at that age.  The main thing that these guys need to learn is that they aren't like every other student and that sometimes that means being a little more responsible about how, where, and when you spend your free time.

This is very true.. and understand the differences between friends and acquaintances. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is very true.. and understand the differences between friends and acquaintances. 

Right.  I have no inside info but you can get charged with that stuff if you are at a party that gets busted and you try to leave.  

If I were a betting man I would bet it was one of those two scenarios.  If that is the case, meh.  Learning experience for the kid and likely they can get the charges dropped.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I've got no problem with Woody deciding on the punishment. I'm sure it will be proportionate to the actual offense.

However....this is where I part company with today's culture. I don't think it should be handled "internally". I think it needs to have the bright rays of sunshine put on it, and expose this actions and punishment publicly. If he gets "offended" fine by me. Maybe he'll think twice before putting himself in a precarious position in the future.

image.jpeg.b14c58a5d7397361aca028130dd930ce.jpeg

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Cops overcharge all the time. I would expect resisting arrest charge to be dropped. A class A resisting arrest could be anything from telling the cop no to running. 

The criminal trespass is likely nothing worth getting worked up over either. 

My best friend got a resisting law enforcement for telling the cop (who had pulled him over for really no reason and wouldn't tell him why} that if the cop didn't know Constitutional Rights he'd be happy to explain them to him...Got thrown out...

• Like 1

Whoever posted that this incident is already more "public" than stuff that went on under Knight. That certainly is true. I just hope at some point Woody also makes a statement about what he decided on punishment, like he did with X. Wasn't front page of the Indy Star, but he did make a comment in one of the media sessions about taking his car away. 

That was perfectly fine with me.