IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

“No excuses if this team struggles”

I’d hope most fans could be content with that status

Exactly. They will be more talented than nearly any team they face. May take some time early for it to gel, but by late December there should be no excuses. They should at least be on par with Illinois this past season (26-8, 2nd in B1G, 3 seed, Elite 8 (not less than S16). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Exactly. They will be more talented than nearly any team they face. May take some time early for it to gel, but by late December there should be no excuses. They should at least be on par with Illinois this past season (26-8, 2nd in B1G, 3 seed, Elite 8 (not less than S16). 

I think what Illinois did is a good target. The only thing with tourney results is that it’s tough to make sweet 16s, let alone elite 8s even as a high seed. If we have a good season but get upset in the second round by a good team, I don’t think that nullifies everything else. Absolutely can’t get blown out in the tourney again though.

• Like 2

We have upgraded the roster better than I thought we would. I’m not a fan of where college sports are now, but I’m beyond thrilled we seem to be at the forefront of figuring out how to make it work. Get a backup big, hopefully a 13th guy, and let’s see how it develops on the court. 

• Like 4

These are the 247 ratings (HS or transfer) for the IU roster. Will any other team in CBB have this combination of talent and experience? I don't know who it would be.

Ballo, Mgbako & Tucker - 5 stars. Two McD's AA

Carlyle, Cupps, Galloway, Goode, Leal, Newton, Reneau & Rice - 4 stars

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

These are the 247 ratings (HS or transfer) for the IU roster. Will any other team in CBB have this combination of talent and experience? I don't know who it would be.

I'd probably just go ahead and pull Cupps, Newton, and Leal off the list of 4 stars--- that seems silly. 

But, I agree, especially in the B1G. There isn't a more talented team in the B1G. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'd probably just go ahead and pull Cupps, Newton, and Leal off the list of 4 stars--- that seems silly. 

But, I agree, especially in the B1G. There isn't a more talented team in the B1G. 

Agree. They wouldn't be 4 star transfers today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I’m pulling for Newton to do like Rice and come off the injured list and become All Freshman BIG!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

While I agree with your point, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Newton perform at that level this season. I’ll be excited to see what he does with the opportunities he is given.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

While I agree with your point, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Newton perform at that level this season. I’ll be excited to see what he does with the opportunities he is given.

I would be highly surprised.  he hasn't played basketball in 2 years.  I would expect him to be rust AF this year and maybe come back to form in the 25 season.  Gotta build up the endurance and game speed skillset.  Shooting is so much about the legs.  Gonna take a while.

16 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would be highly surprised.  he hasn't played basketball in 2 years.  I would expect him to be rust AF this year and maybe come back to form in the 25 season.  Gotta build up the endurance and game speed skillset.  Shooting is so much about the legs.  Gonna take a while.

true.. but he's never going to play long stretches this year, anyways 

And.. to be fair... I assume most thought that about Myles Rice last year..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yeah, he needs to regain muscle strength especially in that injured leg to avoid further injury. I keep thinking of Mo Creek. After having two knee surgeries, he tore his achilles tendon walking down a flight of stairs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Rice missed two straight years and became the Pac 12 freshman of the year

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I could be wrong but I highly doubt he’s just been sitting around. Rumor is he was good to go at the end of last season but they decided not to risk it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I could be wrong but I highly doubt he’s just been sitting around. Rumor is he was good to go at the end of last season but they decided not to risk it. 

He made one comment in that recent interview that I think is seriously overlooked (and took ballz). 
I had to set and watch my teammates make mistakes… or something to that extend… that seems he’s mentally dialed in. 
With this roster, he’s not playing 39 min, so I’m thinking he’s ready to roll!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Rice missed two straight years and became the Pacers 12 freshman of the year

He only missed one year due to cancer. He had chemo from Oct 22-March 23. The prior year he redshirted (not medical), but practiced. Even when he was getting chemo, he was still shooting. Just couldn’t have contact. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/pac12/2024/03/21/myles-rice-cancer-washington-state-ncaa-tournament/72961663007/

20 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Rumor had it that we were going to hire Bruce Pearl, that didn't pan out either lol.  I am not saying anything bad about the kid, i am just saying he hasn't played since high school.  He has never played 1 minute of college ball.  Lets lower the expectations to be a b it more realistic.  Just my 2c though

On 4/29/2024 at 9:30 AM, 13th&Jackson said:

Purdue has 5 or 6

Only 5 star is Biggie since Big Dog?

Hopefully Purdue can compete