IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think a 21-14 Indiana team that is 13-11 against B1G teams and would have won 7 of 8, would need a long look before being left out. Not really sure I'd care about the metrics at that point. 

And we were 5-0 vs Sparty, Ohio St, and Maryland who all have significantly higher NET rankings.

We all know the sides of most on here and I do believe in numbers...but when numbers offer variances of 200% it says there's a bit of error in the construction of the rankings. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

And we were 5-0 vs Sparty, Ohio St, and Maryland who all have significantly higher NET rankings.

We all know the sides of most on here and I do believe in numbers...but when numbers offer variances of 200% it says there's a bit of error in the construction of the rankings. 

add Iowa and Minny and we are 8-0

• Like 1

Just finished re-watching the MSU game, and we had no reason to win it. We are so fundamentally flawed it's disgusting.

Lazy passes, no look passes that aren't close to anybody, sloppy passes, telegraphed passes. 16 turnovers, and the bulk of them were shitty passes.

NOBODY knows how to block out for a rebound except Leal. Mgbako and Reneau don't have a clue how to block out. MSU got 12 offensive rebounds, vast majority because no IU guy put a body on their man. Maybe we should hire Izzo to teach our guys how to block out...

And we don't call out screens at all. Leal got mugged the entire game because nobody called them out to him. Puts us at a real disadvantage when we don't hedge that screen. 

And speaking of screens, we also don't know how to set one, nor does our ball handler know how to rub his guy off of it.

But hey...what do I know? I'm just a true fan....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just finished re-watching the MSU game, and we had no reason to win it. We are so fundamentally flawed it's disgusting.

Lazy passes, no look passes that aren't close to anybody, sloppy passes, telegraphed passes. 16 turnovers, and the bulk of them were shitty passes.

NOBODY knows how to block out for a rebound except Leal. Mgbako and Reneau don't have a clue how to block out. MSU got 12 offensive rebounds, vast majority because no IU guy put a body on their man. Maybe we should hire Izzo to teach our guys how to block out...

And we don't call out screens at all. Leal got mugged the entire game because nobody called them out to him. Puts us at a real disadvantage when we don't hedge that screen. 

And speaking of screens, we also don't know how to set one, nor does our ball handler know how to rub his guy off of it.

True fans understand the IU’s misfortunes and don’t complain about the team like you just did…lol😉

Edited by Artesian_86

11 hours ago, DWB said:

11 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

True fans understand the IU’s misfortunes and don’t complain about the team like you just did…lol😉

My own opinion is, Woody didn't mean fans that simply criticize the things they've seen...

It's the "I hope we lose out" crowd and the manufacturers of BS stories about the staff, the kids, and the program in general that I'm sure he has issues with...

And to be honest, I do too... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

My own opinion is, Woody didn't mean fans that simply criticize the things they've seen...

I hope you're right, but based on his attitude at Sr speeches, and his word choices, I have my doubts.

• Like 1

Just now, DWB said:

I hope you're right, but based on his attitude at Sr speeches, and his word choices, I have my doubts.

I am sure it is the fans that started the petition plus the ones hoping we lose. Probably some of the emails that were sent probably wasn't flattering as well.

On mind your banners it sounded like some fans were communicating with Liam about Woodson.

Just now, DWB said:

Fan criticism is kinda every day stuff with a big program like IU basketball...

The last 3 weeks have been unreal though... So much BS...

And now a lot of the same people are turning on Galloway and Leal for defending their coach... For Christ sake they've been there EVERY DAY for 3 years... I'll take their word over pretty much anyone else on the planet on what kind of coach and person Mike Woodson is... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Fan criticism is kinda every day stuff with a big program like IU basketball...

The last 3 weeks have been unreal though... So much BS...

And now a lot of the same people are turning on Galloway and Leal for defending their coach... For Christ sake they've been there EVERY DAY for 3 years... I'll take their word over pretty much anyone else on the planet on what kind of coach and person Mike Woodson is... 

I haven't seen one post on this board resembling people turning on Galloway and Leal.  You talking the twitter Facebook space?

Personally, I separate the players from the "coaching". Players tend to do what they practice. Doesn't matter if it's sports, music, acting, your job, etc.

If players don't block out for rebounds, or even don't hit the offensive glass at all (see 4 opposing jersey's under our basket), then there is a problem with "coaching".

I also separate Coaching, from the person. I'm sure Woodson is a great guy. Have absolutely no doubts about that. Same with the assistants. But it doesn't automatically translate that just because they are good people, that they are good at their job.

But that's just me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DWB said:

They haven’t called out screens all year.  Total pet peeve and inexcusable.  You will consistently see screens called out at the HPER.  It’s just basic.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They haven’t called out screens all year.  Total pet peeve and inexcusable.  You will consistently see screens called out at the HPER.  It’s just basic.  

So is blocking out.  Why can't a coach with 45 years of high level experience get a team to block out and call out screens 30 games into a season?  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So is blocking out.  Why can't a coach with 45 years of high level experience get a team to block out and call out screens 30 games into a season?  

Not calling out Coach Woodson on this, but in the NBA, they aren't coaching or teaching fundamentals.  You're expected to know how to play ball.  Its teaching systems at the level. 

9 hours ago, DWB said:

Personally, I separate the players from the "coaching". Players tend to do what they practice. Doesn't matter if it's sports, music, acting, your job, etc.

If players don't block out for rebounds, or even don't hit the offensive glass at all (see 4 opposing jersey's under our basket), then there is a problem with "coaching".

I think we've gotten better at blocking out...Mgbako in particular seems to be able to get tough rebounds in traffic...

I remember a while back someone said coaches yelling "blockout!" from the sidelines seemed pointless as they should already know what to do. But you have to take into account a lot of the younger players were just simply bigger and more athletic than anyone they played against in high school, so the fundamentals of rebounding are an afterthought. I've said for the longest time that our inexperience shows a lot, and I think that's one area that is especially glaring.

9 hours ago, DWB said:

I also separate Coaching, from the person. I'm sure Woodson is a great guy. Have absolutely no doubts about that. Same with the assistants. But it doesn't automatically translate that just because they are good people, that they are good at their job.

No,it certainly doesn't...I know a lot of good people who aren't very good at their jobs... 

But I'm also not buying into the narrative that Mike Woodson isn't a good basketball coach. He is. I hear commentators like Shon Morris and Robbie Hummel comment on our sets all the time. I saw 2 kids... INDIANA kids... stand up for his coaching... I've heard TJD, Miller Kopp, JHS, and many others vouch for him... So if I'm skeptical of every X post of assistant high school coaches or podcast talking head, let's just say I tend to listen to people who actually know rather than those who think they do 🙂 

Simply my opinion, but I appreciate yours as well... 

Addendum: that's no slam on the coaches who post here. I appreciate the input of most, and have gained valuable insight... It just seems when people are trying to disparage Mike Woodson that they pull anything from anyone that supports the narrative off X...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I haven't seen one post on this board resembling people turning on Galloway and Leal.  You talking the twitter Facebook space?

They are now. Go check the fire mike Woodson thread. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

But I'm also not buying into the narrative that Mike Woodson isn't a good basketball coach. He is. I hear commentators like Shon Morris and Robbie Hummel comment on our sets all the time. I saw 2 kids... INDIANA kids... stand up for his coaching... I've heard TJD, Miller Kopp, JHS, and many others vouch for him...

There is no doubt that Woodson is good at the X's & O's, especially after time outs. Couldn't agree more. But...if a coach can't recognize a huge lack of fundamentals (for the past 3 years), then IMO he's missing a big piece to be a good coach (an OK coach...sure, but not championship caliber). The 2 Indiana kids (I assume you mean Gallo & Leal) are the 2 kids on the team that DO HAVE good fundamentals. There's a signal there. 

I'm not saying Woodson is a complete failure at all. He (and his staff) need to find ways to get better with the fundamentals.  The "drills" that he claims he runs all the time obviously aren't working. At least to my eyes.

You're right, guys like Mac, Ware, and others never had to be fundamentally sound growing up, since their offensive talent was stellar. (esp those from outside of IN) All the more reason to focus on it at this level.

I wish there was a way to quantify our un-forced turnovers to lack of fundamentals. It would create an interesting discussion. There's not to my knowledge, so my observations are just subjective.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I am very interested in what Coach Woodson will do with his coaching staff next year. There definitely needs to be a shake up. Who does he keep and who does he replace. I did see Walsh mentioned for the IUPUI head coaching job…

If they don't get rid of Cliff Marshal, I'm out :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

If they don't get rid of Cliff Marshal, I'm out :coffee:

I ran into Coach Marshall and his 2 boys getting a fountain drink at the gas station the other day. i had a masters golf tee shirt on and he started talking to me about golf. He never said who he was , what he did. just a nice guy talking to a stranger. I went to leave and said nice chatting with you coach, he smiled.

• Like 7