IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

A couple of good articles on Kel'el...

He's a painfully shy, introverted kid, who in his own words is "laid back."

He was the only freshman on Oregon last year, and the assistant coach that recruited and bonded with him left to take the head coaching job at UKKC... And I don't think Altman handled it well making his displeasure so public (although I know Woody has said kids, notably Malik, needed to "play harder")

Not making excuses for Kel'el, because he's in control of his effort, but I want to see it with my own eyes...

Reneau did pick up his effort about a third of the way through the season... Woody found the right buttons with Trayce and X... So I'm confident he can help Ware live up to his enormous potential... 

First glimpse Sunday! 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He was the only freshman on Oregon last year, and the assistant coach that recruited and bonded with him left to take the head coaching job at UKKC... And I don't think Altman handled it well making his displeasure so public (although I know Woody has said kids, notably Malik, needed to "play harder")

Not making excuses for Kel'el, because he's in control of his effort, but I want to see it with my own eyes...

Reneau did pick up his effort about a third of the way through the season... Woody found the right buttons with Trayce and X... So I'm confident he can help Ware live up to his enormous potential... 

First glimpse Sunday! 🙂

Oregon and whatever stuff happened there in terms of effort have zero weight on me. Fresh start.....and like you said I need to see it with my own eyes before labeling a kid. When you have guys like X and Trey who are all go all the time I have a hard time any player would ever dog it....especially if sitting on a lottery ticket.

Shoot I remember Edwards yawning during games. In today's world he probably would have been labeled as lazy and doesn't care.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Seems the chemistry part will be a big question for all programs going forward with the portal situation, right?  On paper, we look to start three 5 star recruits at 3,4,5 spots and the most experienced PG in the conference along with a much improved Galloway.  Pretty excited to see how it all shakes out.  No reason that isn't a top 25 talent team.  Seems like we can count on XJ, Galloway, and Reneau to give us solid roles.  Not sure what to expect from Ware, but seems like a worst case scenario is a long, versatile forward that can rebound, block shots, and provide versatile scoring when he's on.  My big concern is that I feel like for us to be on the high end of our potential, Mbako will need to show that he is a solid 3 at this level.  I think he will and feel like he could lead us in scoring.  If not, I think we'll have a big hole.  I don't see why we'd expect Galloway to take a step back shooting wise unless he starts trying to take too many and forces bad shots.  I don't know what to think about the other guys you mention.  I love our frontcourt depth and hope Cupps will surprise people.  

Agree! We definitely have talent, though I'm not sure if it's in all the right spots, but Mgbako is going to be really important. 

We can be really good, but as we've seen in the Big Ten so many of these games come down to the last 5 minutes and who is that guy who can take over a game offensively. 

Who is that guy that can score 8 points in two minutes and turn a tied game into a 6 point lead with 1 minute to go. 

Can Mgbako be that guy? 

I also think Cupps will really surprise us all. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree! We definitely have talent, though I'm not sure if it's in all the right spots, but Mgbako is going to be really important. 

We can be really good, but as we've seen in the Big Ten so many of these games come down to the last 5 minutes and who is that guy who can take over a game offensively. 

Who is that guy that can score 8 points in two minutes and turn a tied game into a 6 point lead with 1 minute to go. 

Can Mgbako be that guy? 

I also think Cupps will really surprise us all. 

And I'm just typing out loud here but besides the guys in the pros nobody in our league was playing the PG position better than X down the stretch in 22. Shoot the 2nd half of Michigan game changed the whole operation. If we get that version of X (driving and dishing...with occasional 3) given the bigs we have I can see X pushing his assist totals up pretty high this year.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And I'm just typing out loud here but besides the guys in the pros nobody in our league was playing the PG position better than X down the stretch in 22. Shoot the 2nd half of Michigan game changed the whole operation. If we get that version of X (driving and dishing...with occasional 3) given the bigs we have I can see X pushing his assist totals up pretty high this year.

Absolutely! I'm an XJ fan, but I think to @NCHoosier32's point and as you've said here, I'd rather XJ be controlling the pace and spacing down the stretch and distributing wisely to guys like Mgbako who are closing. 

Not sure I'd love us in a spot where XJ is our scoring closer. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First glimpse Sunday! 🙂

Great points 

being the only freshman screwing things up can be tough 

being shy….you gotta talk on defense 

he is a lottery pick waiting to happen 

X made huge strides…maybe figuring out how to play with TJD?

Now it’s MR in the post or pick n roll with MM or Ware 

you guys have a lot of talent 

need Banks or Gunn to step forward 

Edited by Purdue7

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First glimpse Sunday! 🙂

The Ware situation reminds me of Andrae Patterson, an extremely gifted player who was just very mild-mannered and quiet. Although he made the NBA, he probably never reached the potential that was projected.

Knight's critical challenge this season was to bring out the potential in
Patterson, his most gifted player. For two years Knight has been
a human bellows, working to ignite a flame in his underachieving
forward, who has at times played like he's on fire but more
often has been just a smoldering ember. "Patterson is one of the
most interesting kids I've ever had here," Knight said before
the season. "He has always had an ability to determine when he's
tired, and then [he figures] not as much is expected of him. His
concentration slides. His effort slides. In a test of skills
Patterson would test high. We've got to be able to test him in
these other areas and get the same score."

He is known to be such a mild-mannered young man that many of his neighbors in
West Texas were worried when he announced he would play for the
volatile Knight. Several of them even mailed letters to him and
to the local Abilene newspaper strongly suggesting that he
reconsider.

Patterson arrived in Bloomington as a first-team Parade
All-America after averaging 27.3 points a game at Cooper High in
Abilene. But he struggled as a freshman, averaging slightly more
than seven points in 19 minutes per game. His inconsistent play
continued as a sophomore. Seventeen times in 31 games last
season he scored four or fewer field goals. For the season
Patterson averaged 11.3 points, 2.3 turnovers and roughly 2.3
Knight tirades per game. "Coach is trying to get me to be like
him on the basketball court," Patterson says. "Off the court I'm
laid-back, but he says that on the court I need to be a warrior."

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/12/09/lord-of-the-rims-andrae-patterson-led-a-rejuvenated-indiana-to-victory-in-the-preseason-nit

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson interview with Stephen Bardo courtesy of @The Daily Hoosier...

Coach goes in depth about all of our players...

Said how much X's injury handicapped us, especially the first few games after... I was hoping he'd say, "but we came out of it at Illinois" for Bardo to chew on 🙂, but Woody's a nice guy... 

At least Bardo didn’t give his impact freshman list leaving Mgbako off! Heck he already made an impact at Taco Bell!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It also has Geronimo on there. Although part (maybe a big part) of the reason he transferred is because he couldn't get enough PT because he CANNOT play either forward spot like the author seems to think. 

Jordan Geronimo, Maryland: People in Bloomington may not want to hear this, but Geronimo is in line to have a major role for the Terps this season after transferring from Indiana. Capable of playing either forward spot, the 6-6 Geronimo should immediately carve out a role in Maryland’s rotation thanks to his willingness to do all the little things that affect winning. Don’t be shocked if this guy is a fan favorite in College Park by Christmas. 

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It also has Geronimo on there. Although part (maybe a big part) of the reason he transferred is because he couldn't get enough PT because he CANNOT play either forward spot like the author seems to think. 

Jordan Geronimo, Maryland: People in Bloomington may not want to hear this, but Geronimo is in line to have a major role for the Terps this season after transferring from Indiana. Capable of playing either forward spot, the 6-6 Geronimo should immediately carve out a role in Maryland’s rotation thanks to his willingness to do all the little things that affect winning. Don’t be shocked if this guy is a fan favorite in College Park by Christmas. 

Geronimo can play the 3...

:coffee:

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Is he a TE playing college basketball?

Such a great athlete 

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Jordan Geronimo, Maryland: People in Bloomington may not want to hear this, but Geronimo is in line to have a major role for the Terps this season after transferring from Indiana. Not Capable of playing either forward spot well, or remaining on the floor due to foul trouble, the 6-6 Geronimo should immediately frustrate Maryland’s fans and coaches alike

Fixed it

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I think it was thre Three Man Weave preview of the Big Ten where I heard someone make that very claim as a reason why Maryland was going to be good this year. I about fell out of my chair. 

Listening to 3 man weave now, and one of them called him a guard. It’s pretty clear most of them haven’t seen him play and are assuming position based on height.

• Like 1