IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

3 minutes ago, GoHoosiers97 said:

Additional details have been added to this article.  I'd imagine these would be dropped, but not a lawyer.   https://www.insidethehall.com/2023/10/22/indiana-freshman-mackenzie-mgbako-arrested-early-sunday-morning/

So I think that is more egregious than my initial thoughts.  Not team dismissal worthy but an instance of WTF are you thinking dude?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GoHoosiers97 said:

Additional details have been added to this article.  I'd imagine these would be dropped, but not a lawyer.   https://www.insidethehall.com/2023/10/22/indiana-freshman-mackenzie-mgbako-arrested-early-sunday-morning/

If he thinks Taco Bell is worth getting arrested for, that's not good judgement.  An Arby's Beeg & Cheddar?  Maybe.  But, Taco Bell?  Geesh.

Seriously, based on what's documented in the story, the initial event seems like no big deal.  The continued refusal to obey the commands of the police bother me.  A lot.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not sure what "today's culture" has to do with it? I can all but guarantee you stuff like this was handled internally during Bob Knight's tenure that you never even heard about. 

I was at IU from 91 to 95. I can tell as a witness several guys were in and out of some weekend fun and trouble. Shoot I remember 3 guys (won't say names) sitting in a police car outside Kilroy's and I heard the officer say just get them home. ...haha.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GoHoosiers97 said:

Why should the resisting arrest charges be dropped.  The police asked him to leave multiple times, then asked him to get out of the car multiple times. 

How would we, as fans, react if Woodson had to ask him multiple times to do something in practice and he continually refused.

The initial offense may be minor.  The way he handled the aftermath is anything but that.  

• Like 6

I know recruiting always has looking forward and I want all the elite guys we can get. Few things though as we head into the season that has me interested the most are the following.

1) Can Coach Woodson gel all the new faces together and how quickly will that happen?

2) Will Trey continue to shoot as well as he did from 3?

3) Banks and CJ development. I'm a big CJ fan and I think Banks can surprise. Will be curious to see their 2nd year growth. If they take that next leap now were a team with depth again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I

3) Banks and CJ development. I'm a big CJ fan and I think Banks can surprise. Will be curious to see their 2nd year growth. If they take that next leap now were a team with depth again.

I know everyone, including myself, gets caught up in wanting to see the new guys, but I'm as curious to see how much these two have grown as anything.  

• Like 4

Seems the chemistry part will be a big question for all programs going forward with the portal situation, right?  On paper, we look to start three 5 star recruits at 3,4,5 spots and the most experienced PG in the conference along with a much improved Galloway.  Pretty excited to see how it all shakes out.  No reason that isn't a top 25 talent team.  Seems like we can count on XJ, Galloway, and Reneau to give us solid roles.  Not sure what to expect from Ware, but seems like a worst case scenario is a long, versatile forward that can rebound, block shots, and provide versatile scoring when he's on.  My big concern is that I feel like for us to be on the high end of our potential, Mbako will need to show that he is a solid 3 at this level.  I think he will and feel like he could lead us in scoring.  If not, I think we'll have a big hole.  I don't see why we'd expect Galloway to take a step back shooting wise unless he starts trying to take too many and forces bad shots.  I don't know what to think about the other guys you mention.  I love our frontcourt depth and hope Cupps will surprise people.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I was disappointed to hear rumblings that Ware is a little behind/not finding a higher gear thus far.  If he's going to be a Landon Turner story, I hope the lightbulb comes on a lot sooner for him...and obviously, I hope he doesn't have Turner's career-ending misfortune.  

Is this common knowledge already or just stuff you've heard? I guess I haven't read that anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is this common knowledge already or just stuff you've heard? I guess I haven't read that anywhere.

There was some "possibly legit" pieces of fly dung parsed from black pepper flakes from the NBA day scout reports. That is all that I have seen. There was one scout quoted as question motor. If I recall correctly, Ware didn't participate due ot the staff holding him out from a shoulder pain. So it may have been a comment based off of last year, OR Woody gave the scout some feedback. I don't know which. 

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

There was some kind of legit pieces of fly dung parsed from black pepper flakes from the NBA day scout reports. That is all that I have seen. There was one scout quoted as question motor. If I recall correctly, Ware didn't participate due ot the staff holding him out from a shoulder pain. So it may have been a comment based off of last year, OR Woody gave the scout some feedback. I don't know which. 

Yeah, I knew I had heard that somewhere.  Scares the crap out of me.  Hard to imagine that he isn't ready to bust his tail and be in the next draft, but you never know.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

There was some "possibly legit" pieces of fly dung parsed from black pepper flakes from the NBA day scout reports. That is all that I have seen. There was one scout quoted as question motor. If I recall correctly, Ware didn't participate due ot the staff holding him out from a shoulder pain. So it may have been a comment based off of last year, OR Woody gave the scout some feedback. I don't know which. 

Doubt Woody would give any less than positive feedback. Better to say nothing than…….

• Like 1

Just now, Drroogh said:

Doubt Woody would give any less than positive feedback. Better to say nothing than…….

Meh, it's a thin line. Be like Cal and blow bullshit and you loose credibility. MAYBE, be Mike Woodson, drop a hint that your player knows that you say, Woody remains 4 decades of credibility and the player says to himself......... I guess I better bust my ass because Woody don't fack around, I have to earn it just like he said.  

Of course this is all message board professionals.  

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Yeah, I knew I had heard that somewhere.  Scares the crap out of me.  Hard to imagine that he isn't ready to bust his tail and be in the next draft, but you never know.  

I'm not ready to put much thought to it just yet. Of course it is always a possibility, based on him laying down last year. I also know as a 55 yrs old, let alone an 18 yr old, you piss me off as a leader I will cut my own throat just to make sure your BS loses (in theory). 

Mike Woodson has spent 4 decades building not only new team mates from one year to the next, but more importantly mid season trades in the NBA. Mike Woodson says this team will be ready.

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Some guys have natural ability, but they don't play hard or practice as hard as other guys, even though they believe they are. 

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

A couple of our insiders have posted motor-related concerns within the last couple of weeks.  May have been Coach Sam as well.  I know I read it at least twice between here and Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I don't think that's where the stuff I read came from.  The impression I got was that he hadn't found the next gear in practice yet.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't think that's where the stuff I read came from.  The impression I got was that he hadn't found the next gear in practice yet.

That may be true, but that is all that I have seen. Do you know where you heard it? I'm hoping Mike Woodson does awesome things for him. Everyone needs that one person in there life to force them to succeed sometimes. 

If the kid doesnt find that gear, we have a couple of bench bigs ready to bust their ass for the opportunity. 

We aren't going to cut down the nets either way.  Play those guys that give it their all every second they are on the floor.  

Sets an expectation that will come in handy when we do have the roster capable of a deep run in March.

• Like 3