Mgbako Arrested

ephul

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It was 20 years ago when I was in college. 

My point.  Just because they are cops doesn't mean they are automatically right. 

Why were you running?  I have "run" from the cops before (like taking off when a party is busted) and anytime I was running is because I was actually doing something I knew I could get in trouble for.  And if they caught and arrested me at those times it would have been my fault.

I have never "run" from the cops when I wasn't doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

lol....Isn't Hotbox like a Dutch Oven? lol🤢🤣

As it was explained to me a hotbox is when a group of people get in a car with the windows rolled up and smoke weed. 

When I was in high school it was someone farting with the child locks on. 

Shit I'm getting old. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've been to Bloomington a lot. Only live 45 minutes away and have worked there. Even I know not to go to that Taco Bell.

But being in Bloomington why the hell would you go to taco bell anyway. 

Not many places are open at 2 a.m.  We used to do the Taco Bell downtown because they were the ones open late when the bars closed and they were right there.

Being out on 3rd St., I doubt there were a whole host of available options at 2:15 in the morning.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Why were you running?  I have "run" from the cops before (like taking off when a party is busted) and anytime I was running is because I was actually doing something I knew I could get in trouble for.  And if they caught and arrested me at those times it would have been my fault.

I have never "run" from the cops when I wasn't doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing.

I was living in a fraternity house and they said if I streaked down the Lloyd expressway from Wabash to St Joseph Street I'd get free rent for the semester.  This was in Evansville 

I got my free rent. 

I also jumped out of a 2nd story window at an ISU party to get away. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think most people “defending” MM agree he didn’t handle things well, the issue is nothing he did should result in getting a window busted and physically dragged out of a car. If the police can’t successfully deescalate without violence (and I’d even argue they did successfully deescalate, it just wasn’t good enough), then they should find a new line of work.

How do you figure? They gave him 15 entire minutes to leave the premises of a private property. Most cops wouldn't have given him 2 minutes. They already showed great restraint in not arresting him after he left the property and returned the first time he did it. He was asked to exit his vehicle to be taken into custody, there's not anyway around that at that point, he refused and locked himself in the car. Don't want your window busted out? Get out of the damn car and put your hands behind your back. 

Again, this isn't hard.

• Like 4

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I was living in a fraternity house and they said if I streaked down the Lloyd expressway from Wabash to St Joseph Street I'd get free rent for the semester.  

I got my free rent. 

Lol.  So nothing horrible like me but you were technically in the wrong...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was living in a fraternity house and they said if I streaked down the Lloyd expressway from Wabash to St Joseph Street I'd get free rent for the semester.  This was in Evansville 

I got my free rent. 

I know that house. Sadly it’s not there anymore. 

57 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm still convinced some of the opinions on here are based on part that, this is not only an IU basketball player, but a 5 star recruit that will be heavily relied upon.

If this was a non-athlete student, or even a walk-on basketball player,  the customer in this drama would universally be viewed as a giant ash-hole.

Some of the views here seem to justifying a sense of entitlement because MM is a star athlete.  And, from the information that has been provided, I interpret the concept of 'entitlement' by MM to be the root cause of the whole situation.

Just my opinion.

Like it or not, this is the world we live in. Your talent/value often determines these things. People that generate millions/billions of dollars for industries or have a unique/special talent almost always get more leeway than the regular Joe. 

Just how society works. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Oh? You seemed to be.

You asked why he got arrested I thought?

Doth protest too much, methinks.  You've stated your perspective ad nauseum.  We get it.  You are very much pro police and the burden of conduct is always on citizens.  I think it started with Mgbako and the T Bell employees, but I do believe the busting of window was unnecessary and leads me to believe the police came in hot from the jump.

Your blind with your own feelings to think police shouldn't be met with some skepticism given some of the conduct of the men and women in blue (and the inability for good cops to call out bad cops in many situations). How could someone not think the worst if a cop asks you to get out of a vehicle?  All you have to do is a simple google search to see what happens too often, even when a person complies. 

I think this could have been resolved with some patience in letting it simmer.  In a college town, this situation is probably a reoccurring thing the police encounter weekly.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like it or not, this is the world we live in. Your talent/value often determines these things. People that generate millions/billions of dollars for industries or have a unique/special talent almost always get more leeway than the regular Joe. 

Just got society works. 

1000000% 

Why do you think Antonio Brown was given an ample amount of opportunities?!? He's a STUD. He's a complete and utter idiot, but people give talent chances. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Just got society works. 

I remember a story about Vince Lombardi catching Horning coming back from a night of womanizing. It went something like this, this is your punishment, if you get caught again this will be your punishment, if you go out a third time take me along, I’ve got to meet the woman that is worth all that!!

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just got society works. 

Honestly, I saw worst worst behavior from students at T. Bell and other establishments well beyond this that didn't escalate to this level.  I am looking at this not from the perspective he is a 5* athlete, but a student at point in time where not always the best judgement is used.  It just seems unnecessary from all sides in many ways.  

I will also add I have had plenty of experience with Taco Bell establishments ordering online well before closing on to have meal cancelled for delivery or the place to be closed upon going to pick up my order with people still inside.  There is one near me that on several occasions the employees closed just because.  They are poorly ran.  I wish every fast food establishment would go and learn the methods of Chick-fil-a. One of the best run business period.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Doth protest too much, methinks.  You've stated your perspective ad nauseum.  We get it.  You are very much pro police and the burden of conduct is always on citizens.  I think it started with Mgbako and the T Bell employees, but I do believe the busting of window was unnecessary and leads me to believe the police came in hot from the jump.

Your blind with your own feelings to think police shouldn't be met with some skepticism given some of the conduct of the men and women in blue (and the inability for good cops to call out bad cops in many situations). How could someone not think the worst if a cop asks you to get out of a vehicle?  All you have to do is a simple google search to see what happens too often, even when a person complies. 

I think this could have been resolved with some patience in letting it simmer.  In a college town, this situation is probably a reoccurring thing the police encounter weekly.   

Lol. That's your take away from my posts? 

For the record, I'm pro common sense. Common sense would tell me getting arrested over a $15-20 Taco Bell order never factored into the equation because none of it was ever applied.

The rest of your BS is trivial. The fact they gave him 15 minutes to leave the premises tells me they didn't come in hot from the go, actually quite the opposite. Not going to find many cops who give people breaking the law 15 minutes to correct their action. How many times do you think he was asked to leave the Taco Bell parking lot in that 15 minute span? 10, 20? He had every opportunity in the world to escape that situation with no Taco Bell being the worst outcome. He chose silliness instead.

Again, if you don't want your window smashed in, don't lock the door of your car when the cops are trying to detain you. Common sense is free my dude.  

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I would first ask why before getting out, which is fully within my rights, and that is where the "truth is in the middle" part kicks in. 

The police reaction to being asked for justification before compliance can sometimes be a reason these situations can escalate. 

Know your rights 

NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle 

Police can use plain sight walking around 

• Like 3

What is a grey area in a relatively small issue; is also a grey societal issue. Just an interesting debate and I thing all sides have fair points. 

- Do I think police escalation (and lack of de-escalation) is a systemic problem? Yes
- Do I think police are put in tough situations that may causes them to err on the side of caution? Also yes.

Both can be correct.

Should MM have been arrested and had his window broken after repeatedly refusing to leave? Seems a bit over board, but how long is long enough to warrant getting arrested? 

If he's so upset that he's digging his heels in this hard, do the police have to also consider the safety of the Taco Bell employees? They don't know who is in the car or what their intentions are....just that he's REALLY pissed at Taco Bell employees. If the police let the issue go, and the employees get the shit beat out of them after closing time, guess who is going to get sued first? (Well, maybe second)

Whether MM was right or wrong, whether his arrested was warranted or not, I hope he does learn that this is not the situation he should be finding himself in. Jeez, he could've gotten WAYYYY MORE even by just erring his grievance on Twitter and half of Bloomington would boycott that Taco Bell!!!

It's just not worth it. And I'm sure the decision will haunt him for a bit. 

He'll live. He'll learn. This doesn't define him. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 5

I think it is a shame where this conversation has gone, but would like to say this - if I were at a Taco Bell at 3am and created a scene and the police were called... then I refused to leave and deescalate the situation, I would expect to get arrested.  Just honestly what I'd expect.  I don't have any personal stories to tell about the police, (although I have been arrested) but I do fear them in the aspect that I am supposed to follow the law and they are supposed to enforce it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

In October 2019 I was swatted.  You know what that is?

I have had a gun pulled out on me and pointed at the back of my head at a standard traffic stop because my friends and I fit some sort of "profile". If MM was "swatted" by some Taco Bell "Karen" file a  complaint against the store and corporate, don't get shot or arrested over it. If a cop tells you to take a hike, just do it regardless of what you think of their tactics and reasoning. I am not defending the cops. I would give MM the same advice I would give anyone. Don't give some sh*t in his pants Barney Fife college cop a chance to blow you away in a Taco Bell over some "misunderstanding" etc. There is a time and place to hold your own. 2:30 at night in a Taco Bell parking lot is not it.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Police will push the limits to see IF they can escalate things! Working nights I had to drive through a one cop town. The jerk would come out of his hiding place and zoom up on my bumper to the point I could no longer see his headlights. Really wanted to jam on the brakes, but I just minded my own business and kept on going.

That doesn't mean all cops are like that or that they always try to escalate things, right?

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

What rights of MM were violated? 

He initially had the right to be where he was... He was "ordered" to leave...

He wasn't "under arrest" until he'd left the property he was charged with trespassing on which is kinda doing the law bassakward...

The bottom line is, we have rights. Police should be the very front line of protecting those individual rights, but many times they aren't...

As far as escalation goes, I'm sure busting in the car window of someone who isn't threatening in any way, shape, or form is the way to go... Not even considering the damage that flying glass could do... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

That doesn't mean all cops are like that or that they always try to escalate things, right?

No! But if cops have a suspicion warranted or not they will try and push things to see if they can rattle the suspect and get them to reveal something!