Mgbako Arrested

ephul

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Im guessing none of you have ever had a knife pulled on you or a gun in your face. Well I have. 

Mgbako didn't do anything other than than make the mistake of not driving away. 

I have had a few unpleasant and unwarranted run ins with the cops over the years. That being said, it's not a great idea to not do what the cops tell you to do. Don't make a bad night worse. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I generally agree, but I do question what caused MM to turn around when he started to leave. Do we know anything about that?

No, we don't.  And, it is an important question.  That is one of the things that Coach Woodson needs to get to the bottom of.  But, the police we're already involved at that point.  If I was Coach Woodson, I would have hoped it had never got to that point.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Doubt if I will ever have a neighbor like that 

Sometimes you don't have to look for trouble to find it... That's the case with @mrflynn03...he's overcome quite a bit for a young fella... 

I seriously doubt Mac went out looking for trouble, but...

The older I get, I keep telling myself that it's easier for me to control my temper, but in today's world, that's not always the case... 

But I'm much better than when I was 18 🙂

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sometimes you don't have to look for trouble to find it... That's the case with @mrflynn03...he's overcome quite a bit for a young fella... 

I seriously doubt Mac went out looking for trouble, but...

The older I get, I keep telling myself that it's easier for me to control my temper, but in today's world, that's not always the case... 

But I'm much better than when I was 18 🙂

Your experience and mine as well are irrelevant to this situation. Neither of us were in the situation this guy is. Neither of us had the expectations this guy has. Neither of us were given a boatload of money to represent a state university. With all that comes a level of responsibility that MM obviously needs to learn. He doesn’t have the luxury of time and anonymity to make mistakes like this and have them attributed to being young, dumb and unemployed 

• Like 3

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Have you ever been arrested with cops bearing down on you?

As I stated in an earlier post, I would have never got angry enough about the situation for the cops to have even been called.  Analysis of this story should not be focused on what the police did, but what Mgbako did.  Rightfully or wrongfully, once it became evident he was not getting his taco, he should have just left.  That's applying good judgement to a bad situation.  

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Lucky you.  Luckily I live in a small country town but I'm working my ass off to do better.

I almost PM’ed you, but I think I’d rather put it out publicly…

I appreciate you sharing your experiences - you always do, and it’s always appreciated by me. You’ve probably experienced a lot of shit most of us haven’t. I’m sorry some folks are taking a condescending tone because you’ve gone through stuff no one should have to go through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No, we don't.  And, it is an important question.  That is one of the things that Coach Woodson needs to get to the bottom of.  But, the police we're already involved at that point.  If I was Coach Woodson, I would have hoped it had never got to that point.   

And I completely agree. He should have left.

I am pretty comfortable saying that MM and the Taco Bell employees handled this poorly. I’m unsure if the police did or not. If MM and TB handle it better, the third point doesn’t come into question. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

This is a great point. I realized about 10 years ago my experiences with police as a white guy are different than those of POC.

was driving with a couple of Hispanic friends as passengers. We were on a freeway that was moving ok but a lot of traffic. There was a cop in the lane next to me driving like an a-hole. I gave him an annoyed look and my friends were like, "What are you doing!?" They really thought my look was going to get us pulled over and messed with. That really hit me. 

Knowing something that simple can set cops off when the person has dark skin, I'm not surprised MM didn't want to get out of the car. If they were determined to arrest him (they were - they broke his window to get him), I can't imagine they were acting very reasonable at that point. 

I have never had any issues with cops. But I have a friend (former IU football player) who has gotten the “where are you going/do you live around here/why are you in this neighborhood” routine from IMPD cops when driving back to his house from the gym, when he’s in a sweat suit instead of his normal casual or professional attire. 

if Mgbako has had that kind of experience before, I don’t blame him for not trusting the cops. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Your experience and mine as well are irrelevant to this situation. Neither of us were in the situation this guy is. Neither of us had the expectations this guy has. Neither of us were given a boatload of money to represent a state university. With all that comes a level of responsibility that MM obviously needs to learn. He doesn’t have the luxury of time and anonymity to make mistakes like this and have them attributed to being young, dumb and unemployed 

I totally agree MM needs to learn from this and I’m sure coach will make sure of it! However, you state that ‘Your experience and mine as well are irrelevant to this situation.’ yet you insist on judging based on your experience?????

• Like 1

I think we are thinking way too broadly and deeply here. It sounds like a dumb situation with multiple parties probably behaving poorly.

I don't see some big culture statement here on a parking lot confrontation that lead to a couple misdemeanors. 

I am not downplaying the situation. But I think the reactions and assumptions here are bigger than the event 

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we turn the focus to the police, we're essentially justifying Mgbako's actions for the entirety of the incident.  I don't understand why we would want to do that.   

How are we doing that? Are we not capable of discussing what each party involved may have done right or wrong?

This is an example, but all these things can be true:

MM was right to be upset at Taco Bell

MM should have left Taco Bell before it got to that point

The police could have also mishandled the situation, or they may not have. We don’t really know at this point.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Maybe - even if MM was the only one wrong in the entire situation I still don't think this deserves any sort of significant punishment.

How would you punish MM? 

If he is 100% in the wrong as described in the story, I would hand out a 6 game suspension.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If he is 100% in the wrong as described in the story, I would hand out a 6 game suspension.  

Is that also what you think Woodson will do, if MM is 100% in the wrong as described? 

X got nothing, Windy City 5 got 1-game, and it was at the request of TJD and Race.... 

Edited by KoB2011

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, by no means trying to obsolve Mgbako of his behavior. He absolutely has to be better and seemingly double/tripled down on his poor behavior when the police gave him several chances to get out of there. 

But with that said, just following along on X/Twitter, by all accounts this Taco Bell location is notorious for treating people terribly and having a horrible staff. 

This Taco Bell has been notorious since I was in Bloomington about ten years ago 

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If this was a Mason Gillis story instead of a M. Mgbako story, there is not a poster on this board that would be giving Gillis the benefit of the doubt.  Let's all just admit this is not the type of situation that we want an IU player to get himself into and trust that Coach Woodson will handle it correctly.  

This is also a great point

I totally get that we all live different lives.  We all have different challenges.  I don't get where this is very relevant to the fact that he was at TB at 3am causing enough of a scene to get the police called then having his window broken and wrestled to the ground and that we search for reasons why that behavior is okay.  Also get that some police officers are not good people, but don't get why we assume that all or bad.  I'd rather avoid politics, race debates, etc on here and talk about Hoosier basketball.  

• Like 6

I come in peace, please do shoot. I have not read every post so if this has been mentioned, I apologize in advance.

If I recall correctly, Momma Mgbako requested CMW recruit her son. Maybe Momma bear knew that her baby boy had some poor decision making skills when it comes to authority. ?? Maybe?

I'm am firmly in the camp (at this point anyway) that MM did something stupid, but it isn't a huge thing. He screwed up, CMW has a few very "well son WTF were you thinking" type conversations, here is your schedule for the next 2 weeks that you will follow to the letter. Your next work out is 5:30 AM tomorrow morning. I'll see you there son, don't be late.

• Like 1