Mgbako Arrested

ephul

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Have you ever been arrested with cops bearing down on you?

He was given multiple opportunities to leave and he kept escalating by parking and coming back.  Over f-ing tacos.  Just stop.  This isn't on the cops.  It is on Mgbako being a dumbass that night.  That may not be reflective on him in total, but at least on that night he was making a series of bad decisions that led to him getting his car window broken out and yanked out of the car.  That happened because he didn't listen when given a lawful order to get the f--- off someone else's property.  Whether the TB employees are terrible at their jobs is immaterial at the point the police show up at nearly 3 a.m. and tell you it is time to leave.

• Like 5

Have you ever, in your life had police officers coming at you?

Yes and I tried to be as respectful as possible to get out of the situation.  I have been told to leave places (house party when I was legal to drink) and I left.  In Bloomington.  After having graduated.  You know what I did?  Left.  Why?, because that little bit of fun (or tacos in this case) wasn't worth getting arrested.

I am sorry about your swatting incident.  That is scary.  I don't think that is a police problem though.  That is a crappy neighbor.  They have to go off the info they are given and if you really were shooting at people, showing up and casually knocking on your door could get them killed.  In your instance there should be harsh consequences for your neighbor IMO.  The police were just doing their job.

I hope MM learns from this experience.  If I were Woodson after everything had calmed down, I would try and see if I could get those officers to talk to MM so they each get a chance to understand each other when cooler heads have prevailed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Is that also what you think Woodson will do, if MM is 100% in the wrong as described? 

X got nothing, Windy City 5 got 1-game, and it was at the request of TJD and Race.... 

I would do one game at most for the public facing punishment.  For stuff not in the public eye, I would seriously consider a curfew as part of the punishment.  One thing that a player like MM needs to learn quickly is that if you are a one and done guy, you don't get more chances to make these mistakes.  You are going to be looking at a bunch of money and scrutiny, you just can't let this type of thing happen again.

• Like 2

Have you ever, in your life had police officers coming at you?

His point is that the police should have never been involved  in in this situation.  If MM would just walked away from the Taco Bell instead of getting into an argument with the employees.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I would do one game at most for the public facing punishment.  For stuff not in the public eye, I would seriously consider a curfew as part of the punishment.  One thing that a player like MM needs to learn quickly is that if you are a one and done guy, you don't get more chances to make these mistakes.  You are going to be looking at a bunch of money and scrutiny, you just can't let this type of thing happen again.

I think you and I are more or less on the same page in terms of seriousness of offense and how to handle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Is that also what you think Woodson will do, if MM is 100% in the wrong as described? 

X got nothing, Windy City 5 got 1-game, and it was at the request of TJD and Race.... 

It has never been publicly said what type of punishment X got or if he even did. I don't think he got off scott free. Coach Woodson could have punished him with a heavy probationary period, swift curfews or restrictions of some sort, I don't know.  With that being said, I'm sure X will have some insightful and helpful advice for MM. As a matter of fact, he most likely has been in MM's ear. The good thing is alcohol and pot was not involved.

These kids are held at such a high standard because they are supposed to be setting good examples for others. Young kids look up to these young men and women everyday. I believe Coach Woodson will handle this appropriately. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

It has never been publicly said what type of punishment X got or if he even did. I don't think he got off scott free. Coach Woodson could have punished him with a heavy probationary period, swift curfews or restrictions of some sort, I don't know.  With that being said, I'm sure X will have some insightful and helpful advice for MM. As a matter of fact, he most likely has been in MM's ear. The good thing is alcohol and pot was not involved.

These kids are held at such a high standard because they are supposed to be setting good examples for others. Young kids look up to these young men and women everyday. I believe Coach Woodson will handle this appropriately. 

I was strictly talking suspensions, in response to a post that said MM should get 6 games…

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If he is 100% in the wrong as described in the story, I would hand out a 6 game suspension.  

Nah, that's silly. Even with only the story as told by police, at worst Mgbako displayed some anger management issues. No drugs or alcohol were involved, and no violence committed on his part. Had there been you can be sure those would be included in the charges.

Mgbako had a bad night. Most of us did in our time in Bloomington, even if the cops didn't get involved. A freshman on my dorm floor one year punched out a window in the stairwell, cutting his hand up enough that we could follow the drops of blood to find him sobbing on the next floor down. I never found out what that kid was going through, and I don't know what Mgbako might be going through either.

Setting aside any conjecture and supposition from this thread, taking the facts as they are presented in the police report, and placing the blame entirely on Mgbako, even then I really just feel more concern for Mgbako than anything. The kid reacted badly, that's clear, but no one was ever harmed or threatened by his actions. Now he has legal consequences to deal with, and all sorts of unwanted public attention. I'm not sure the incident warrants much more from Woodson than a reprimand and maybe someone to check in and ask if he's doing okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That isn't a police problem, it is a neighbor problem.

So you don't think police coming to your house using SWAT tactics simply based on a neighbor's word is an issue?

Police officers are public servants. We pay their salaries. They are beholden to our Constitutional rights as citizens...

I truly do understand that they have a very difficult job and want to protect themselves...I get that and I do appreciate it, and I want every one of them to be able to go home at night to their families......But they also have to gauge the situation properly...

I think we've become a little too "militaristic" in our police tactics. I understand though...We have a lot of Vets that go into law enforcement...But kicking in doors in Kabul is much different than talking an 18 year old out of his car...There's middle ground...and as @mrflynn03 said, this seems like a situation where de-escalation tactics would have served better than the approach the officers took... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I totally get that we all live different lives.  We all have different challenges.  I don't get where this is very relevant to the fact that he was at TB at 3am causing enough of a scene to get the police called then having his window broken and wrestled to the ground and that we search for reasons why that behavior is okay.  Also get that some police officers are not good people, but don't get why we assume that all or bad.  I'd rather avoid politics, race debates, etc on here and talk about Hoosier basketball.  

Agree for the most part. But on the bolded, the vast majority of us aren't searching for reasons to why what Mgbako did is okay. We're searching for reasons as to why it might have happened. 

I think we almost all agree based on what we know that MM was wrong in this situation and should/will receive a punishment. 

We're just trying to figure out what led to this and what set him off. 

That's not the same as justifying what happened or saying it's OK. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree for the most part. But on the bolded, the vast majority of us aren't searching for reasons to why what Mgbako did is okay. We're searching for reasons as to why it might have happened. 

I think we almost all agree based on what we know that MM was wrong in this situation and should/will receive a punishment. 

We're just trying to figure out what led to this and what set him off. 

That's not the same as justifying what happened or saying it's OK. 

Yeah, he's in the wrong. But also... who cares? There is very little in that police report that warrants an arrest, in my eyes, and I would think the charges would be dropped.  

His parents should care, his family should care, his teammates/coaches should care.... we should just hope he doesn't get suspended and be glad he didn't somehow injure anyone or himself... lol tf. We (fans) get confused in our roles a lot.

Did they really tell him to leave and he drove to an adjacent parking lot? 😆

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did they really tell him to leave and he drove to an adjacent parking lot? 😆

10-1 says if the police had simply sat in their car near his, within 15 minutes he would have left...

Arguments happen every day...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

10-1 says if the police had simply sat in their car near his, within 15 minutes he would have left...

So then you have the potential outcry that the local police will look the other way when it comes to high profile athletes. 

If the SOP for the police force is to investigate every call, they should follow that protocol regardless. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How does that saying go, discretion is the better part of valor?

Just because something is a law doesn't mean it has to be enforced. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

So then you have the potential outcry that the local police will look the other way when it comes to high profile athletes. 

If the SOP for the police force is to investigate every call, they should follow that protocol regardless. 

Not at all...They should have done that regardless of who was in the car...He wasn't threatening anyone...Let him sit for 15 minutes and cool off...

Was Mgbako breaking the law by being out at 2:15 AM? I doubt Bloomington has a curfew, so I'd say no...If Woody has a curfew for them then that's an internal matter...

Was Mackenzie breaking the law by sitting in his car in an adjacent parking lot (I take it it was the KFC parking lot next door to TB)? If there were "no parking after" signs, then I guess you could say so...But that's weak...

Kid had an argument with fast food workers...Well, so have I...Not a big deal...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Even with only the story as told by police, at worst Mgbako displayed some anger management issues. No drugs or alcohol were involved, and no violence committed on his part.

His actions warrant a stiffer punishment than a simple alcohol or weed arrest.  If the info is factual as presented, he blatantly disregarded specific instructions given to him by law enforcement.  That's significantly more troubling than having a case of beer in his back seat.

I said it earlier, but will say it again.  If this was Gilles from Purdue, McCaffrey from Iowa, or Brad Davison from years gone past at Wisconsin, this board would be mocking anything other than a multi-game suspension. 

The rules of justice do not change just because it's an IU player.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all...They should have done that regardless of who was in the car...He wasn't threatening anyone...Let him sit for 15 minutes and cool off...

Was Mgbako breaking the law by being out at 2:15 AM? I doubt Bloomington has a curfew, so I'd say no...If Woody has a curfew for them then that's an internal matter...

Was Mackenzie breaking the law by sitting in his car in an adjacent parking lot (I take it it was the KFC parking lot next door to TB)? If there were "no parking after" signs, then I guess you could say so...But that's weak...

Kid had an argument with fast food workers...Well, so have I...Not a big deal...

If there was a call made by someone at Taco Bell then it needed to be followed up on. 

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He was given multiple opportunities to leave and he kept escalating by parking and coming back.  Over f-ing tacos.  Just stop.  This isn't on the cops.  It is on Mgbako being a dumbass that night.  That may not be reflective on him in total, but at least on that night he was making a series of bad decisions that led to him getting his car window broken out and yanked out of the car.  That happened because he didn't listen when given a lawful order to get the f--- off someone else's property.  Whether the TB employees are terrible at their jobs is immaterial at the point the police show up at nearly 3 a.m. and tell you it is time to leave.

The problem I have is after he left the property.  They could have left it alone after that. Instead they pursued, broke his window and dragged him out of the car. 

At that point the fight or flight response probably kicked in and is why mgbako "resisted".  It's basic human physiology and unavoidable.

BTW as the law is written passive resistance is not a qualifier for resisting arrest. 

• Like 2

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

If there was a call made by someone at Taco Bell then it needed to be followed up on. 

And they did...I don't have an issue with that...

But, there are 2 sides to every story...and normally the truth lies in the middle...

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

His actions warrant a stiffer punishment than a simple alcohol or weed arrest.  If the info is factual as presented, he blatantly disregarded specific instructions given to him by law enforcement.  That's significantly more troubling than having a case of beer in his back seat.

I said it earlier, but will say it again.  If this was Gilles from Purdue, McCaffrey from Iowa, or Brad Davison from years gone past at Wisconsin, this board would be mocking anything other than a multi-game suspension. 

The rules of justice do not change just because it's an IU player.

So if a police officer pulled you over and walked up and said, "get out of your car" you'd comply?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Of course. But after he left the lot they should have let it go. The cops escalated to the point of breaking his window and going hands on over a non violent misdemeanor.

• Like 1