Mgbako Arrested

ephul

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And they did...I don't have an issue with that...

But, there are 2 sides to every story...and normally the truth lies in the middle...

So if a police officer pulled you over and walked up and said, "get out of your car" you'd comply?

Know you aren't asking me, but absolutely I would get out. Wouldn't you?  Wouldn't refusing to get out be your signal that you are going to escalate the situation?

• Like 1

Can’t wait to hear ALL of the fallout. Taco Bell owner issues a public apology because of all the lost business.  Officers suspended because they lost control of the situation to the point of… and of course the coach Woodson comments. I’d much rather hear all of that than the guessing and speculation going on here!

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Know you aren't asking me, but absolutely I would get out. Wouldn't you?  Wouldn't refusing to get out be your signal that you are going to escalate the situation?

I would first ask why before getting out, which is fully within my rights, and that is where the "truth is in the middle" part kicks in. 

The police reaction to being asked for justification before compliance can sometimes be a reason these situations can escalate. 

• Like 3

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

No, I wouldn't...If you're going to pull me over and tell me to get out of the car, you have to have a reason...If I've committed a crime, you tell me what the alleged crime was, and you inform me that I'm under arrest, then I would...

That right is guaranteed to me...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

His actions warrant a stiffer punishment than a simple alcohol or weed arrest.  If the info is factual as presented, he blatantly disregarded specific instructions given to him by law enforcement.  That's significantly more troubling than having a case of beer in his back seat.

I said it earlier, but will say it again.  If this was Gilles from Purdue, McCaffrey from Iowa, or Brad Davison from years gone past at Wisconsin, this board would be mocking anything other than a multi-game suspension. 

The rules of justice do not change just because it's an IU player.

This isn't true at all. Gillis got arrested for a DUI, something MUCH worse than what MM allegedly did.... 

***went and looked it up... Gillis got 4 games. MM getting more than 1 would be a complete travesty. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

His actions warrant a stiffer punishment than a simple alcohol or weed arrest.  If the info is factual as presented, he blatantly disregarded specific instructions given to him by law enforcement.  That's significantly more troubling than having a case of beer in his back seat.

I said it earlier, but will say it again.  If this was Gilles from Purdue, McCaffrey from Iowa, or Brad Davison from years gone past at Wisconsin, this board would be mocking anything other than a multi-game suspension. 

The rules of justice do not change just because it's an IU player.

Mason Gillis has a charge on his record that is an order of magnitude worse than whatever happened with Mgbako this weekend. If this happened to him, yeah, I would be connecting the dots more than I am now and calling for a suspension.

Patrick McCaffrey stepped away from the Iowa team last year to address his own mental health. If this were him, I'd be even more concerned than I am for Mgbako and a suspension would be the last thing on my mind. I'd want him to find the help he needs.

You judge each situation by the person involved, not the jersey. Even then you might get it wrong. But this doesn't need to be anything more than a bad night unless Mgbako lets it turn in to something else. He's an 18 year old kid, you learn and move on.

If it were Brad Davison, I'd laugh and use this as material for one liners for years to come. As would you. Because sports rivalries are dumb fun and the one place where one is allowed to be immature like that, especially at the college level, and that's all this incident amounts to, really.

• Like 5

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

Jesus dude.

The fact that the police had to be called to remove him from the property speaks for itself. 

And once he left they could have left it at that. 

Two of the lamest excuses in the world are "its the law" and "I'm just doing my job".  Just have some discretion is all I ask. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, I wouldn't...If you're going to pull me over and tell me to get out of the car, you have to have a reason...If I've committed a crime, you tell me what the alleged crime was, and you inform me that I'm under arrest, then I would...

If everyone else gets to judge from the police report, I will to... I don't really see anything in here that shows why the police would have needed MM to get out of his vehicle. 

• Like 2

Seems like something he can plea to and reduce, or drop, the charges.

My question is what is he thinking? The season is just around the corner and he wants to go the one and done route. So obviously he's out at 2 am. Was he in need of a late night taco for the protein? Was he headed to the gym to put up shots but needed a snack first?

Nothing about this story leads me to believe he is serious about his game, his body, his team, or his future. Childish approach.

He has time to turn it around and I'm sure CMW will make his thoughts known very clearly. But this should be the last off the court issue for MM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

And once he left they could have left it at that. 

Two of the lamest excuses in the world are "its the law" and "I'm just doing my job".  Just have some discretion is all I ask. 

He was lawfully ordered off the premises, left the property, returned to said property, was given a second chance to leave, didn't comply, was lawfully ordered out of the vehicle, resisted, and was finally arrested.

Don't overthink this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So you don't think police coming to your house using SWAT tactics simply based on a neighbor's word is an issue?

Police officers are public servants. We pay their salaries. They are beholden to our Constitutional rights as citizens...

I truly do understand that they have a very difficult job and want to protect themselves...I get that and I do appreciate it, and I want every one of them to be able to go home at night to their families......But they also have to gauge the situation properly...

I think we've become a little too "militaristic" in our police tactics. I understand though...We have a lot of Vets that go into law enforcement...But kicking in doors in Kabul is much different than talking an 18 year old out of his car...There's middle ground...and as @mrflynn03 said, this seems like a situation where de-escalation tactics would have served better than the approach the officers took... 

So you are making two points, on the first point, if they get a call that someone is shooting up a place I think that pulling up like that is justified.  For the police.  I put all the blame for what happened to Mr. Flynn on the neighbor.  And because of how serious what they did was, I think people that SWAT others should face charges up to attempted murder.  People like Flynn's neighbor should get the book thrown at them.

In the second point, I think the police did attempt to deescalate the situation based on what was reported.  They gave MM several instances to leave.  He wouldn't.  They don't have all night (morning) to play nice with someone who has become unreasonable.  Taco Bell didn't want to serve him and it is their property.  They can ask him to leave and the police can enforce their wishes.  Based on what we know (asked to leave several times, parked car, moved and parked again, moved across street like he was going to wait for police to leave and then come back) MM had several opportunities to go and he was given the opportunity to deescalate.  If all he wanted was the police to force TB to give him food, they can't do that.  The restaurant can refuse service if he was acting out.  He is solely to blame for getting himself arrested.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If everyone else gets to judge from the police report, I will to... I don't really see anything in here that shows why the police would have needed MM to get out of his vehicle. 

Because they were going to arrest him for criminal trespass after he failed to leave private property after repeatedly being told to leave. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Police will push the limits to see IF they can escalate things! Working nights I had to drive through a one cop town. The jerk would come out of his hiding place and zoom up on my bumper to the point I could no longer see his headlights. Really wanted to jam on the brakes, but I just minded my own business and kept on going.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I left out the part where the officer never announced himself.  I wasn't unarmed either so it was a pretty tense moment. 

Yeah, I get being scared/angry from your POV.  From their POV you are potentially a person who was just shooting at people a few minutes ago and when they show up you are armed.

I think the penalties for SWATting should be extremely severe.  Your neighbor should have gotten jail time, that is how serious I believe that "prank" is.

• Like 1

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

Because they were going to arrest him for criminal trespass after he failed to leave private property after repeatedly being told to leave. 

He did leave. Then went to Jiffy Treat, sat in his car, and then they arrested him lol 

Soooo.. I'll say again, don't really see anything there why he would have needed to get out of his car or be arrested. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So you are making two points, on the first point, if they get a call that someone is shooting up a place I think that pulling up like that is justified.  For the police.  I put all the blame for what happened to Mr. Flynn on the neighbor.  And because of how serious what they did was, I think people that SWAT others should face charges up to attempted murder.  People like Flynn's neighbor should get the book thrown at them.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to try and contact the homeowner FIRST? I'm telling you what, you bust into my house at 3 in the morning, it's going to turn out bad for probably me, because I'm going to try to protect myself...

You can blame the neighbors for inciting the incident, but the response is on the police...And SWAT style over one party's word isn't rational to me at all...

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

In the second point, I think the police did attempt to deescalate the situation based on what was reported.  They gave MM several instances to leave.  He wouldn't.  They don't have all night (morning) to play nice with someone who has become unreasonable.  Taco Bell didn't want to serve him and it is their property.  They can ask him to leave and the police can enforce their wishes.  Based on what we know (asked to leave several times, parked car, moved and parked again, moved across street like he was going to wait for police to leave and then come back) MM had several opportunities to go and he was given the opportunity to deescalate.  If all he wanted was the police to force TB to give him food, they can't do that.  The restaurant can refuse service if he was acting out.  He is solely to blame for getting himself arrested.

I don't know exactly what was said by either the fast food workers or Mackenzie...I also don't know what was said between Mackenzie and the police...But once he moved to the other parking lot, it should have been over...Like I said, sit there near him for 10-15 minutes and I have no doubt he would have left...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He did leave. Then went to Jiffy Treat, sat in his car, and then they arrested him lol 

Soooo.. I'll say again, don't really see anything there why he would have needed to get out of his car or be arrested. 

“On October 22nd at approximately 2:15 a.m., officers responded to Taco Bell, located at 3001 E Third Street, in reference to a man refusing to leave the property. Upon arrival, officers were advised by Taco Bell management that they were refusing service to the man in a vehicle in the drive-thru due to him cursing at and being rude to employees. Officers made contact with the man, who refused to identify himself but told officers that he was 18-years-old. The man was later identified as Mackenzie Mgbako. Officers asked Mgbako to move his vehicle from the drive-thru line, which he agreed to do and moved the vehicle into a parking space in the Taco Bell lot. Upon speaking further with management, they requested that officers tell Mgbako to leave the property. Officers explained to Mgbako that he needed to leave the property and he refused to do so and kept the windows closed on his vehicle. At one point, Mgbako began to drive out of the lot, but then reversed his vehicle and parked again in a parking space on Taco Bell property. He was told repeatedly that he needed to leave the property by officers, but failed to comply and stayed on Taco Bell property for approximately 15 minutes.

“Officers determined that Mgbako would be arrested for trespassing, but he then moved his vehicle to a nearby lot and parked again. Officers approached his vehicle and advised him that he was under arrest and that he needed to exit his vehicle, but he refused to do so. Officers had to use a baton to break the passenger side window of the vehicle to unlock the doors. Upon opening the driver’s door, Mgbako was given commands to exit the driver’s seat, but he refused to do so. Officers had to forcibly remove him from the vehicle and he tensed his arms and would not allow officers to secure him in handcuffs. Officers were able to eventually place him in handcuffs and he was then transported to the Monroe County Jail, where he was remanded for criminal trespass, class A misdemeanor, and resisting law enforcement, class A misdemeanor.”

Not really sure what is hard to understand? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

“On October 22nd at approximately 2:15 a.m., officers responded to Taco Bell, located at 3001 E Third Street, in reference to a man refusing to leave the property. Upon arrival, officers were advised by Taco Bell management that they were refusing service to the man in a vehicle in the drive-thru due to him cursing at and being rude to employees. Officers made contact with the man, who refused to identify himself but told officers that he was 18-years-old. The man was later identified as Mackenzie Mgbako. Officers asked Mgbako to move his vehicle from the drive-thru line, which he agreed to do and moved the vehicle into a parking space in the Taco Bell lot. Upon speaking further with management, they requested that officers tell Mgbako to leave the property. Officers explained to Mgbako that he needed to leave the property and he refused to do so and kept the windows closed on his vehicle. At one point, Mgbako began to drive out of the lot, but then reversed his vehicle and parked again in a parking space on Taco Bell property. He was told repeatedly that he needed to leave the property by officers, but failed to comply and stayed on Taco Bell property for approximately 15 minutes.

“Officers determined that Mgbako would be arrested for trespassing, but he then moved his vehicle to a nearby lot and parked again. Officers approached his vehicle and advised him that he was under arrest and that he needed to exit his vehicle, but he refused to do so. Officers had to use a baton to break the passenger side window of the vehicle to unlock the doors. Upon opening the driver’s door, Mgbako was given commands to exit the driver’s seat, but he refused to do so. Officers had to forcibly remove him from the vehicle and he tensed his arms and would not allow officers to secure him in handcuffs. Officers were able to eventually place him in handcuffs and he was then transported to the Monroe County Jail, where he was remanded for criminal trespass, class A misdemeanor, and resisting law enforcement, class A misdemeanor.”

Not really sure what is hard to understand? 

I'm not confused. 

Edited by btownqb

32 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The problem I have is after he left the property.  They could have left it alone after that. Instead they pursued, broke his window and dragged him out of the car. 

At that point the fight or flight response probably kicked in and is why mgbako "resisted".  It's basic human physiology and unavoidable.

BTW as the law is written passive resistance is not a qualifier for resisting arrest. 

The reason they don't let them sit nearby is because A)they don't have a duty to babysit someone raging over Tacos and B)they know that if they let the person sit there without supervision the likelihood they are going to go back and get in another altercation is significantly increased.  MM wasn't going over there to cool off.  I know, I know I am not in his head but I have been a ticked off 18 year old before.  He would have been right back there raising hell that he didn't get his Doritos Locos taco.

If this was any other student nobody would be talking about a need to placate the guy.  MM messed up.  It isn't the end of the world but based on what we know there is no excuse for what he did and the police didn't owe him any more special privileges that no one else would get.  He got all the deescalation attempts in the world when he was told to leave.  He should have left.  Period.

That being said, it isn't the end of the world.  He messed up.  I think you find a way to make this more of a "time to grow up dude" learning experience.  I don't think it requires a draconian suspension.  Most of the punishment should be things we never find out about.

• Like 3

Just now, IUFLA said:

I don't know exactly what was said by either the fast food workers or Mackenzie...I also don't know what was said between Mackenzie and the police...But once he moved to the other parking lot, it should have been over...Like I said, sit there near him for 10-15 minutes and I have no doubt he would have left...

I don't know if you can leave him sitting next door. What if he was waiting for the TB employees to leave? Police wouldn't be able to take that chance. Taco Bell workers likely were jerks. Who cares? You will run into stupid people the rest of your life. The key is MM didn't handle it well from there. He should have left well before the police were called. Simply complying with the police would have prevented all this. Even if the police were over the top in their response, you still need to comply.

To me, this is a minor issue that MM will hopefully learn from.

The real key here is if we see him involved in any other issues this year. At that point, we will know he likely didn't learn from this incident and that is when I would get worried.

• Like 4