Mgbako Arrested

ephul

I'm also not willing to concede Mgbako was the (only) one who overreacted in this situation. The cops were also still up past 2am, working the Saturday night of Homecoming weekend. Fair to say that could make someone irritable. Reading even the police version of what happened, it doesn't seem an arrest was necessary. Mgbako left the drive thru when asked. He should have left property sooner, but if he felt wronged by the staff in some legitimate way I can understand not wanting to let the matter drop. He did leave the premises after ~15 minutes, seems like it could have ended there without breaking a window and wrestling him out of the car.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

All this talk about the Taco Bell staff and reputation, the police maybe overreacting, is… I just shake my head.

MM knows who he is. He knows he’s a high profile athlete at a school that lives and breathes basketball. He knows he’s in a fishbowl. Horrible judgment on his part, regardless of the way he might have been treated. Walk away. Eat the $10 you lost. My God, you undoubtedly just got a huge NIL paycheck. Yeah he’s 18 or whatever, and we’ve all been there. But his experience is not the average Joe college. He’s not some undergrad Bluto Blutarsky. With the privilege of representing IU comes a great deal of responsibility. With a 5 star rating and an expectation of him being 1 and done comes a need to be aware of what those who will make the decisions about his next level game see.

The guy made a horrible decision. Stop making excuses. He is no longer the pampered AAU/high school god. Time to understand how the world works. Time to be accountable for your actions and decisions. 
Hope he learns from this.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I agree, but there could very well me more to it. We need to keep in mind It’s the Taco Bell on Walnut. I went there when I was a student. If any poster is not familiar with the particular Taco Bell on Walnut, I would encourage you to read their reviews.  I would be really surprised if Mack just decided to be rude to these employees. 

They could have been dicks too.  However, at the point it escalates to where cops are breaking out a window and dragging you out of your car over Taco Bell, you have entered the Dave Chapelle skit "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not defending Mgbako but once he left the lot the cops should have deescalated the situation and let it go assuming he wasn't posing a threat to taco bell employees. All this over a misdemeanor situation.  

Now Mgbako should have just driven off. Who really knows what the true details are because the police report is written by, well, by the police.  I'll just say I've read a couple before and those weren't accurate. 

Put yourself in his shoes, young black man, two cops probably yelling at you, one to your left and one to the right while you're trapped in your car. He was likely scared and overwhelmed.  I'm guessing none of you have ever been arrested before. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

All this talk about the Taco Bell staff and reputation, the police maybe overreacting, is… I just shake my head.

MM knows who he is. He knows he’s a high profile athlete at a school that lives and breathes basketball. He knows he’s in a fishbowl. Horrible judgment on his part, regardless of the way he might have been treated. Walk away. Eat the $10 you lost. My God, you undoubtedly just got a huge NIL paycheck. Yeah he’s 18 or whatever, and we’ve all been there. But his experience is not the average Joe college. He’s not some undergrad Bluto Blutarsky. With the privilege of representing IU comes a great deal of responsibility. With a 5 star rating and an expectation of him being 1 and done comes a need to be aware of what those who will make the decisions about his next level game see.

The guy made a horrible decision. Stop making excuses. He is no longer the pampered AAU/high school god. Time to understand how the world works. Time to be accountable for your actions and decisions. 

This ^^^

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

This ^^^

Not sure why you're confused. Cops are like anyone else.  Great, crappy, and somewhere in between but they aren't you're friends. 

I've had some great experiences with them, have friends from childhood that are police, and I've had some really negative experiences.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Woody should make Mackenzie watch this video, and sit out the first 5 minutes verses UIndy... :)

I think since MM wants to be out late, CMW should make the entire team practice at 6:00 and run gassers for the first half hour. MM needs to get the message that he’s part of a team, not bigger than the team, and that his actions have a huge impact on the team.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think since MM wants to be out late, CMW should make the entire team practice at 6:00 and run gassers for the first half hour. MM needs to get the message that he’s part of a team, not bigger than the team, and that his actions have a huge impact on the team.

Not a bad idea really. 

I said it earlier but everyone is basing things on their own life and culture. Probably not the same as a black man in a city. 
Totally different situation but I myself have had obscenities yelled at me by a policeman just because I was the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood! BLM didn’t help the situation. I’m not justifying MM, I learned long time ago it’s ‘yes sir!’ But you don’t know the life he has lived!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not saying you're specifically directing this at me, but I am one of those that posted about the reputation of the TB staff, etc.

Just want to make clear for everyone that I said several times that those things don't obsolve MM of his behavior, and that it's really bad that it sounds like he not only doubled but tripled down on his behavior when the police gave him numerous opportunities to get out of there clean. 

All of these different things can be true. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I said it earlier but everyone is basing things on their own life and culture. Probably not the same as a black man in a city. 
Totally different situation but I myself have had obscenities yelled at me by a policeman just because I was the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood! BLM didn’t help the situation. I’m not justifying MM, I learned long time ago it’s ‘yes sir!’ But you don’t know the life he has lived!!

This is a great point. I realized about 10 years ago my experiences with police as a white guy are different than those of POC.

was driving with a couple of Hispanic friends as passengers. We were on a freeway that was moving ok but a lot of traffic. There was a cop in the lane next to me driving like an a-hole. I gave him an annoyed look and my friends were like, "What are you doing!?" They really thought my look was going to get us pulled over and messed with. That really hit me. 

Knowing something that simple can set cops off when the person has dark skin, I'm not surprised MM didn't want to get out of the car. If they were determined to arrest him (they were - they broke his window to get him), I can't imagine they were acting very reasonable at that point. 

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

This is a great point. I realized about 10 years ago my experiences with police as a white guy are different than those of POC. I

was driving with a couple of Hispanic friends as passengers. We were on a freeway that was moving ok but a lot of traffic. There was a cop in the lane next to me driving like an a-hole. I have him an annoyed look and my friends were like, "What are you doing!?" They really thought my look was going to get us pulled over and messed with. That really hit me 

Knowing something that simple can set cops off when the person has dark skin, I'm not surprised MM didn't want to get out of the car. If they were determined to arrest him (they were - they broke his window to get him), I can't imagine they were acting very reasonable at that point. 

Get the wrong call on the wrong night it don't matter what color you are. 

I understand what you're saying because I've been in situations like that before because believe it or not I have had a diverse friend group. 

But when the cops try to kick in your door without announcing themselves while you're busy taking a piss what do you do?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think Woody should make Mackenzie watch this video, and sit out the first 5 minutes verses UIndy... :)

Absolutely hilarious, IUFLA!!!! It’s no secret, I watch Andy Griffith every day when I get home from work, teaching HS kids. It’s on till 7 pm. 
The funny thing is, the kid who threw the apple and busted out that street light probably should have gotten into more trouble than Mgbako’s Taco Bell rant! Lol

• Haha 1