Mgbako Arrested

ephul

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If this was any other student nobody would be talking about a need to placate the guy. 

Anyone who is concerned about our rights would be...

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I don't know if you can leave him sitting next door. What if he was waiting for the TB employees to leave? Police wouldn't be able to take that chance. Taco Bell workers likely were jerks. Who cares? You will run into stupid people the rest of your life. The key is MM didn't handle it well from there. He should have left well before the police were called. Simply complying with the police would have prevented all this. Even if the police were over the top in their response, you still need to comply.

To me, this is a minor issue that MM will hopefully learn from.

The real key here is if we see him involved in any other issues this year. At that point, we will know he likely didn't learn from this incident and that is when I would get worried.

Sorry, I don't agree with this...Police are partners in a community, and shouldn't be looked at with either scorn or fear...

The only violent act that night was committed by the police (busting out a window)...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to try and contact the homeowner FIRST? I'm telling you what, you bust into my house at 3 in the morning, it's going to turn out bad for probably me, because I'm going to try to protect myself...

You can blame the neighbors for inciting the incident, but the response is on the police...And SWAT style over one party's word isn't rational to me at all...

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  If you are a crazy shooter and they roll up and give a polite knock then they or someone else likely gets killed.  If they roll up with max force and things go wrong and you are innocent, then that is a bad outcome as well.

Which is why I think you throw the book at people for false reporting.

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know exactly what was said by either the fast food workers or Mackenzie...I also don't know what was said between Mackenzie and the police...But once he moved to the other parking lot, it should have been over...Like I said, sit there near him for 10-15 minutes and I have no doubt he would have left...

They don't let them sit that close because experience tells them that letting a person be within eyesight of those they just had an issue with is more likely to lead to another altercation.  The Taco Bell was closing.  The employees would be going home.  MM was worked up enough about not getting food to be willing to get arrested for it.  Him sitting over there could be him waiting for the employee to come out after work and fight.  That is why they make you leave, not walk a few feet off the property and wait.  They want you physically and visually away from the property so that you will hopefully cool off.  If they let him sit there I am willing to bet there was a greater than 50% chance they would have been called right back because MM would have escalated again.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know exactly what was said by either the fast food workers or Mackenzie...I also don't know what was said between Mackenzie and the police...But once he moved to the other parking lot, it should have been over...Like I said, sit there near him for 10-15 minutes and I have no doubt he would have left...

He only moved his vehicle AFTER they informed him he was being arrested. You don't get to decide when to comply with law enforcement. They gave him 15 full minutes to leave the property (which was 14 minutes and 30 seconds to long I may add) and only moved once they told him he was under arrest. That isn't how things work in these situations...ever.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 4

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

So they should still be sitting in the parking lot this morning asking him to exit the vehicle?

I'm not sure what other choice the police had?

Talked to him...even through the window...Let him know you were going to sit there until he left...

I've been in plenty of confrontations in my life, and 99% of them can be solved by simply communicating...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He only moved his vehicle AFTER they informed him he was being arrested. You don't get to decide when to comply with law enforcement. They gave him 15 full minutes to leave the property (which was 14 minutes and 30 seconds to long I may add) and only moved once they told him he was under arrest. That isn't how things work in these situations...ever.

The report, lol, said they determined he would be arrested.  Doesn't mean they informed him at that point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm still convinced some of the opinions on here are based on part that, this is not only an IU basketball player, but a 5 star recruit that will be heavily relied upon.

If this was a non-athlete student, or even a walk-on basketball player,  the customer in this drama would universally be viewed as a giant ash-hole.

Some of the views here seem to justifying a sense of entitlement because MM is a star athlete.  And, from the information that has been provided, I interpret the concept of 'entitlement' by MM to be the root cause of the whole situation.

Just my opinion.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  If you are a crazy shooter and they roll up and give a polite knock then they or someone else likely gets killed.  If they roll up with max force and things go wrong and you are innocent, then that is a bad outcome as well.

Maybe use a phone first?

• Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Talked to him...even through the window...Let him know you were going to sit there until he left...

I've been in plenty of confrontations in my life, and 99% of them can be solved by simply communicating...

They did, for at least 15 minutes.  He started to leave in fact but then came back.  He refused to identify who he was at first and refused to roll down the window to talk.  He was being a dick and they still gave him 15 minutes to get his sh** straight before they had enough.

And now reading what IndyResident16 posted from the report again, he only decided to take off when they announced their intention to arrest him.  That is fleeing and he knew why they wanted him out of the car.

MM was a dumbass in this situation.  He is solely responsible for the outcome.  I hope he learns from it because he is someone who potentially has a future most people could only dream of and that future is going to come with a spotlight and employers who will cut pay for guys doing dumb ish.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm still convinced some of the opinions on here are based on part that, this is not only an IU basketball player, but a 5 star recruit that will be heavily relied upon.

If this was a non-athlete student, or even a walk-on basketball player,  the customer in this drama would universally be viewed as a giant ash-hole.

Some of the views here seem to justifying a sense of entitlement because MM is a star athlete.  And, from the information that has been provided, I interpret the concept of 'entitlement' by MM to be the root cause of the whole situation.

Just my opinion.

My issue begins with the breaking of his window and going hands on over a non violent misdemeanor.  I have no problem up to that point. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Seems like something he can plea to and reduce, or drop, the charges.

My question is what is he thinking? The season is just around the corner and he wants to go the one and done route. So obviously he's out at 2 am. Was he in need of a late night taco for the protein? Was he headed to the gym to put up shots but needed a snack first?

Nothing about this story leads me to believe he is serious about his game, his body, his team, or his future. Childish approach.

He has time to turn it around and I'm sure CMW will make his thoughts known very clearly. But this should be the last off the court issue for MM.

I rather have him going to Taco Bell at that time rather than trying to get into bars. I have heard former players talking about what they did late at night and what MM did was not as bad.

In the past I have been vocal about player conduct and the need of severe punishment. To me I just don't see this as a huge thing and MM should get a 1 game suspension and do a lot of running.

• Like 1

They did, for at least 15 minutes.  He started to leave in fact but then came back.  He refused to identify who he was at first and refused to roll down the window to talk.  He was being a dick and they still gave him 15 minutes to get his sh** straight before they had enough.

And now reading what IndyResident16 posted from the report again, he only decided to take off when they announced their intention to arrest him.  That is fleeing and he knew why they wanted him out of the car.

MM was a dumbass in this situation.  He is solely responsible for the outcome.  I hope he learns from it because he is someone who potentially has a future most people could only dream of and that future is going to come with a spotlight and employers who will cut pay for guys doing dumb ish.

The report says they determined to arrest him. We have no idea if they announced it or not. 

• Like 1

He was being a dick

Not against the law...If it was, I'd probably have a rap sheet (never been arrested) :) 

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And now reading what IndyResident16 posted from the report again, he only decided to take off when they announced their intention to arrest him. 

Not true, as @mrflynn03 posted, they determined (between themselves) that he'd be arrested...they didn't inform him  of the fact until after he moved...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Anybody defending MM clearly has an agenda with law enforcement. I'm sure MM is a good kid at heart but this was a pure act of entitlement. What is it that kids say these days, "F*** around and Find Out"? That's exactly what happened here, hopefully he learns from it but there's no excuse for his behavior. Officers were well within their means to arrest him and gave him more than enough chances. Shocked it took 15 minutes disobeying lawful commands before finally being placed under arrest. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1