Harvard Post Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It depends what the roster looks like, if we have guys with injuries. So did you have high expectations for Crean's first couple of years. To me expectations are based on what your current roster is and not that we have won 5 championships in the past 

okay.  and we are disagreeing again.  that's okay though.  seems more normal.  

Glad we won, that was always going to be a tough game for us.

Our two point offense is really good and gives our offense a high floor game to game.

Our inability to make threes gives our offense a much lower ceiling than it should have.

Our defense just has to get better. The overhelping, lazy stances, poor rotations, poor ball screen defense, has got to improve if we want to be a tournament team.

I really want to see us dominant on the boards if we are going to play a big lineup, it hasn’t been happening thus far in part because our guys don’t rebound out of area well. Make of that what you will.

It was great to see MM get going on offense. Hopefully that gives him some confidence to carry forward, we need him. 

• Like 6

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

okay.  and we are disagreeing again.  that's okay though.  seems more normal.  

Like you said earlier that college basketball has changed with all transfers so it is hard to build a consistent program. With this is t is hard to have great expectations every year unless you are a UK, KU or Duke. Also teams who doesn't have huge turnover like Purdue or Marquette can have continuity 

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Nebraska, PSU, Minnesota, Northwestern come to mind as, at worst case, debatable. 

I can see an argument for PSU and Minnesota, but NW and Nebraska are both solid teams this year. Nebraska is currently 45th in kenpom and NW is 60th. Both higher than where IU is currently ranked.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It depends what the roster looks like, if we have guys with injuries. So did you have high expectations for Crean's first couple of years. To me expectations are based on what your current roster is and not that we have won 5 championships in the past 

My expectations are based on a growth towards a standard of IU basketball that I believe is reasonable to expect for a program that offers what we offer big picture.

and I dare say Woodson of all people share the same expectations…

When we are rebuilt, which should NOT take more than four years, we LIVE inside the top 25, typical is top 15, we make the tourney 9/10 years, a Final Four at least once every 6-10 years and a Banner is hung again.

I expect overall a trend showing each season that we are progressing towards that end. And that doesn’t mean each of the first four years we have more wins. But a culture is being built.

I hope Woodson gets us there because I like him

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I can see an argument for PSU and Minnesota, but NW and Nebraska are both solid teams this year. Nebraska is currently 45th in kenpom and NW is 60th. Both higher than where IU is currently ranked.

I'm with you on Minny and PSU, but I'm not sold on Nebraska just yet... They have Creighton coming up next week (who I think they beat last year) so another win might convince me...

Northwestern is gonna miss Chase Audige and Robbie Beran more than some think... 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm with you on Minny and PSU, but I'm not sold on Nebraska just yet... They have Creighton coming up next week (who I think they beat last year) so another win might convince me...

Northwestern is gonna miss Chase Audige and Robbie Beran more than some think... 

I’m not sure how sold I am on NW and Nebraska either, but I just don’t want to overstate how good Harvard is. They seem like a team that’ll end up ranked in the 100-200 range. A decent test, and probably the best win of the year so far. But not big ten caliber.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Right now Galloway is in a real funk, but he’s too good a player to stay that way….he’s due to have a big game soon. Hopefully, it starts against Maryland.

Actually he is what he is. He’s a career 6ppg guy who’s averaging 9ppg this year because he’s playing more and getting more shot attempts. He’s shooting 21% from three which is what he shot his sophomore year. He was 18% as a freshman. He’s shooting 65% FTs which is exactly the same as last year and the year before. Maybe his 3 point shooting last year was the anomaly 

• Like 3

Attendance listed at only 8,469.  Is that Thanksgiving weekend, or playing the game in Indy?  I remember going to a game a few years ago on Thanksgiving Saturday, in Assembly Hall, that was up against the Bucket game in W. Lafayette.  I don't remember the exact attendance, but it was better than 8,400.  

Ware is so smooth and skilled. He’s really exceeded my expectations. Malik is a beast (but needs to rebound better). Mgbako showed what he can become. In addition to shooting, he stepped up on the boards. Banks surprised with his range. Our guards have been outmatched by the opponents guards in every game this year except LVille, and it isn’t close. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Attendance listed at only 8,469.  Is that Thanksgiving weekend, or playing the game in Indy?  I remember going to a game a few years ago on Thanksgiving Saturday, in Assembly Hall, that was up against the Bucket game in W. Lafayette.  I don't remember the exact attendance, but it was better than 8,400.  

I think both were factors, plus Harvard not being a big draw as an opponent. There were probably fewer than 100 Harvard fans at the game. Combine all of that with being a “neutral” game where you don’t get the guaranteed student attendance leads to overall low attendance.

• Like 1

Ware was phenomenal and exceeds all expectations.  Woody has done a great job reaching him based on how Altman failed. 

MM was great on offense.  His offense led to him being more engaged on D.  He still needs to get more awareness and really work on his stance because his D on the drive (like our entire perimeter) is lacking.  But baby steps are fine.  

Reneau was solid.  Some nice court vision. 

We need way more from our backcourt most notably X regardless of his injury.  I think we all were envisioning the player from the second semester of his junior year.   Sixth year player.  Let’s go.  We are way too imbalanced toward the front court unless he gets it going.  Hopefully the injury is minor.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ware was phenomenal and exceeds all expectations.  Woody has done a great job reaching him based on how Altman failed. 

MM was great on offense.  His offense led to him being more engaged on D.  He still needs to get more awareness and really work on his stance because his D on the drive (like our entire perimeter) is lacking.  But baby steps are fine.  

Reneau was solid.  Some nice court vision. 

We need way more from our backcourt most notably X.  I think we all were envisioning the player from the second semester of his senior year.   Sixth year player.  Let’s go.  We are way too imbalanced toward the front court unless he gets it going. 

I liked that they ran a play for Mgbako on one of the first possessions to get him going 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Actually he is what he is. He’s a career 6ppg guy who’s averaging 9ppg this year because he’s playing more and getting more shot attempts. He’s shooting 21% from three which is what he shot his sophomore year. He was 18% as a freshman. He’s shooting 65% FTs which is exactly the same as last year and the year before. Maybe his 3 point shooting last year was the anomaly 

He’s much better than he’s shown so far this season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kdug said:

I think both were factors, plus Harvard not being a big draw as an opponent. There were probably fewer than 100 Harvard fans at the game. Combine all of that with being a “neutral” game where you don’t get the guaranteed student attendance leads to overall low attendance.

It was Thanksgiving weekend, a "blah" opponent, and overcharging for the tickets to same.

Attendance at sporting events isn't what it used to be and the performance of this program has taken a toll, even on a fanbase like Indiana.  We used to get butts in the seats around the holidays for 2 games like this in Indianapolis but that is a harder sell for where the program currently sits, particularly at reportedly $80/seat.  This is the type of game that alumni families that couldn't get tickets in Bloomington used to bring the kids to.  $320 for a family of 4 to just walk in the building to watch a game against Harvard is a hard sell.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 5

Rewatched the game and had a couple of observations...

I'm not sure the refs initially knew what the 2 3 point lines were (inner was high school, outer was college...No pro line) because Mac was about a foot inside the college line on his first make, and the ref threw the "field goal" hands in the air for a 3...

It was pretty apparent why CJ only got 3 minutes in the 1st half, and DNP in the 2nd...2 defensive lapses and 1 turnover (and he had a second one that he could have had a turnover assist on :) ) won't get you time...He seemed to lack his usual energy too...Maybe a bit under the weather?

I thought XJ, despite not having great numbers, had a nice game...His D on Mack early was excellent, and he ran the team...There was some discussion earlier about Trey and X letting the other kids develop their games, and I think XJ was doing just that...He was running the team and not worried about "getting his." With the strength of our front court, I think that's the right thing to do. I also think his ankle had something to do with it. He gutted it out til the 4 minute mark, and then you could really see it bothering him...I hope he get through this upcoming 4 game stretch, and then get Cupps a lot of minutes when Morehead State, North Alabama, and Kennesaw St come calling...There are games where we're going to need him to score, but yesterday wasn't one of them...And the confidence dividends for especially Mac and Ware are huge in their development...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was pretty apparent why CJ only got 3 minutes in the 1st half, and DNP in the 2nd...2 defensive lapses and 1 turnover (and he had a second one that he could have had a turnover assist on :) ) won't get you time...He seemed to lack his usual energy too...Maybe a bit under the weather?

I watched Leal closely on defense the time he was in.  He is not the most athletic, but the guy sure knows where to be.  His heady play will likely earn him more minutes if X is hurt and CJ struggles with defensive lapses.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I watched Leal closely on defense the time he was in.  He is not the most athletic, but the guy sure knows where to be.  His heady play will likely earn him more minutes if X is hurt and CJ struggles with defensive lapses.  

Yes, and I thought it was notable that he was giving directions to the younger guys during on-court huddles. 

• Like 2