Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Coach K and Bill Self never played their bench Ayers that much. I know this year when KU played here he played the starters the majority of the minutes. I just don't by that you can't play your starters at least 35 minutes.

totally agree

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it can be overplayed, but this season especially it's legit. The data doesn't lie - when we play 4 bench players together we have one of the worst lineups possible in college basketball. We are halfway through the season, we have enough to know that's a really stupid thing to do.

Woodson should get asked about it and should have a much better answer than he did. The fact that he either doesn't know how bad the lineups he puts in are performing or doesn't care is alarming. 

+/- facts don't belong here. As long as Woody gets his NBA line change in he is good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/a-deep-dive-into-mike-woodson-and-his-history-with-substitution-patterns

I guess it is important enough for someone to write an article on this subject 

A college senior wrote this article. 

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We can all agree that Teri Moren and women's teams are very good. At least the games I have watched she has never had more than 2 subs on the court together.  If you have great players coming off the bench then player a deeper rotation but most teams shouldn't play more than 8 in the rotation.

She has 5 All conference players in their starting lineup!!! lol... Do the men have that, or ANYTHING, close to it? 

Hell-- she has two All-Americans

Horrible example 

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Coach K and Bill Self never played their bench Ayers that much. I know this year when KU played here he played the starters the majority of the minutes. I just don't by that you can't play your starters at least 35 minutes.

Our starters don't play the majority of the game? You actually want Mackenzie Mgbako playing 35 mins a night? 

Our starters are NOT good enough to want that, especially 1-3, and I guess I can't understand why anyone would be frustrated with Ware or Malik's playing time. Literally, the last game Malik+Ware+TG all played 34 mins or more.... XJ was WELL on his way, also, and then turned MMA. Or and Mgbako played 30 mins. 

How'd the Rutgers turn out after allllll those mins to starters? 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

A college senior wrote this article. 

She has 5 All conference players in their starting lineup!!! lol... Do the men have that, or ANYTHING, close to it? 

Hell-- she has two All-Americans

Horrible example 

Our starters don't play the majority of the game? You actually want Mackenzie Mgbako playing 35 mins a night? 

Our starters are NOT good enough to want that, especially 1-3, and I guess I can't understand why anyone would be frustrated with Ware or Malik's playing time. Literally, the last game Malik+Ware+TG all played 34 mins or more.... XJ was WELL on his way, also, and then turned MMA. Or and Mgbako played 30 mins. 

How'd the Rutgers turn out after allllll those mins to starters? 

I would take the starters over playing our bench big minutes 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would take the starters over playing our bench big minutes 

I just showed you the very last game, our bench did not play big mins at all, and we got absolutely WAXED. Bench played the bare minimum against Rutgers. 

I'm still confused on the whole "TG is a 6th man, but I also want him playing 35 mins" thing, too. 

4 starters over 31 mins

3 starters over 34 mins

Didn't matter a hill of beans, we still sucked, gave up 20 Orebs and had 20 TOs. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I just showed you the very last game, our bench did not play big mins at all, and we got absolutely WAXED. Bench played the bare minimum against Rutgers. 

I'm still confused on the whole "TG is a 6th man, but I also want him playing 35 mins" thing, too. 

4 starters over 31 mins

3 starters over 34 mins

Didn't matter a hill of beans, we still sucked, gave up 20 Orebs and had 20 TOs. 

My complaint isn't playing the subs but playing 4 at the same time. You can rotate players in while keeping at least 3 starters in at the same time. Especially with this roster you should not play more than a 8 man rotation. It seems like most games we get off to a good start then the momentum is killed when we have 4 subs come in

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

My complaint isn't playing the subs but playing 4 at the same time. You can rotate players in while keeping at least 3 starters in at the same time. Especially with this roster you should not play more than a 8 man rotation. It seems like most games we get off to a good start then the momentum is killed when we have 4 subs come in

so literally 2 mins in the last game that happened, that is what cost us the game? Not the other 38 mins? Not beign 4-100 from the FT line, giving up 19 orebs, and having 19 turnovers? I just flat-out don't understand THAT complaint whatsoever. 

I understand fully the complaint of not using the scholly, not getting XJ under wraps, I get those complaints. 

I don't understand why there aren't more complaints about lack of development in Gunn and Banks though, I don't see that that is brought up enough. That is an issue. THEY CANNOT DRIBBLE. 

I'm cringing, hoping, and praying we didn't just see MM as a 5 star talent and were like, heck with it, he can play the 3 THIS year... like I don't understand the thought process there. 

All of that was a bigger deal than ---- who we have on the court with 9 mins left in the first half against Rutgers. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

so literally 2 mins in the last game that happened, that is what cost us the game? Not the other 38 mins? Not beign 4-100 from the FT line, giving up 19 orebs, and having 19 turnovers? I just flat-out don't understand THAT complaint whatsoever. 

I understand fully the complaint of not using the scholly, not getting XJ under wraps, I get those complaints. 

I don't understand why there aren't more complaints about lack of development in Gunn and Banks though, I don't see that that is brought up enough. That is an issue. THEY CANNOT DRIBBLE. 

I'm cringing, hoping, and praying we didn't just see MM as a 5 star talent and were like, heck with it, he can play the 3 THIS year... like I don't understand the thought process there. 

All of that was a bigger deal than ---- who we have on the court with 9 mins left in the first half against Rutgers. 

There was a pretty direct correlation to us losing the lead, and quickly when four subs came in at once on Tues. But yes, all of those other points you mentioned are certainly bigger problems in the grand scheme of things. But end of the day CMW is responsible for all of it. 

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree. Especially with Banks, anytime I see him start to dribble or drive to the hoop I'm like omg here comes the turnover.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

There was a pretty direct correlation to us losing the lead, and quickly when four subs came in at once on Tues. But yes, all of those other points you mentioned are certainly bigger problems in the grand scheme of things. But end of the day CMW is responsible for all of it. 

I understand that. And I've stated that, in that post, and a couple of others in this thread. 

But the lineup s*** lacks context. 

And that correlation was not there the other night. Kel'el and Malik sat for 3 mins in the first half, tt was 20-15 when KW+MR came out, after KW had bricked 2 FTs... 

20-19 IU by the time those two came back in. -4 over the span of 3 mins. 

They were back in with 5:30 mins to go in the 1H. We were -4 those 5:30 mins with the starters back in, after they banked in that 3. 

I just don't categorize those 3mins as some massive issue compared to everything else we saw the other 37 mins. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

I mean, we did have 19 turnovers, 19 Orebs given up, 4-15 from the line, our PG got kicked out and sucked,  and how many bricked/air balled 3s? 

Again.. for sure ultimately all on Woodson, not arguing that, imo those 3 mins were simply nothing more than--- 3/40--7.5% of the reason for the loss. 

We built a solid lead, but no one even mentions the plays during those 12 mins that we fudged up, and the lead could have been idk.. 10-12pts?.. I feel we forget that stuff simply because we had a lead then, and literally by definition, those plays ARE as big. 

@kyhoosier29 all I got. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Our bench is terrible which is why there is such a drought when the starters sit. No different than last season. There was such a clear line of talent when comparing Trace and Jalen to the rest of the team.

I stand behind needing a roster overhaul.

Yeaahhhhh. McNeely has to be more of JHS type, and MM more of Malik 2nd year player.. for us to be where we want, and to be acceptable next season... 

And that's just to start.. as you said no depth, the functioning of that depth is probably even worse. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yeaahhhhh. McNeely has to be more of JHS type, and MM more of Malik 2nd year player.. for us to be where we want, and to be acceptable next season... 

And that's just to start.. as you said no depth, the functioning of that depth is probably even worse. 

McNeely will get the Kopp role of gathering dust in the corner