Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Beard is 50, Pearl is 63. Hire Beard, unless we want all of our coaches eligible for Social Security

Dusty May could be a home run or a one-hit wonder. His teams are fun to watch, though. Much more entertaining offense than Beard's teams. 

Pearl at 63 has shown more life and energy on the sideline in a single half than our last two coaches combined over the duration of their tenures.

He's the perfect fit and personality for this job. Oh yeah, he can coach too. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I'm not against it, but we've fumbled so many hires...at this point, would they come? We could've practically picked any coach 15-20 years ago...but my worry is that ship has sailed now. Think about it, we had to resort to Woodson...no knock on him, but he wasn't necessarily in high demand when we hired him.

There's no way IU has reached out to Pearl because he's still at Auburn. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Pearl at 63 has shown more life and energy on the sideline in a single half than our last two coaches combined over the duration of their tenures.

He's the perfect fit and personality for this job. Oh yeah, he can coach too. 

No argument there. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

WTF is Mgbako gunna do as a professional? I am not convinced there is a professional league in the world that MM could play in next year. 

There is a route for us to still be pretty good next year-- can't believe I'm actually saying that...

But-- Malik, MM (if he shows any level of improvement that Ware/Malik did), McNeely, TG, and for the love of christ find a PG that can play in the portal..... and yes, that does include Woodson allowing Malik to play the 5, MM at the 4...

I'd offer A LOT of NIL to be the best transfer/best-fit PG we can find. 

Bench-- Cupps, Newton 🙏, transfer big, Gunn, Sparks, maybe another transfer combo guard

Who knows why kids transfer, but if Mgbako stays he does seem to fit nicely at the four between Malik and Liam. I'm not comfortable relying on Cupps/Gunn/Newton to develop into high end contributors, so upgrading the backcourt in the portal is going to be key to how I feel about next year. It's why I'm less invested in the Queen recruitment than I perhaps should be. Fland was the guy we needed - or Jaeden Mustaf, or Curtis Givens, or Austin Swartz, talented guys who also wouldn't be considered one and done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'll take TG with the rest of that lineup.

For his career in neutral site and road games, he's 22-80 from three and 25-49 on FTs.

In all games this season, he's 12-49 from three and 21-42 on FTs. That's not a starting B1G guard. 

If a big had those FT numbers, a coach would pull him late in a close game. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He would be in Bloomington right now if IU had contacted Pearl or anyone associated with Pearl. They haven't, that's why he's still at Auburn.

Um what?  You work behind the scenes now to setup an end of season hire.  Or are you talking in the past while I am talking present?

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Um what?  You work behind the scenes now to setup an end of season hire.  Or are you talking in the past while I am talking present?

Yes I was speaking to past, sorry for confusion. IU's had at least 2 chances to hire him (2017 and 2021). Could have cut bait with Crean after the 2014 season and hired him coming off his-show cause then. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He would be in Bloomington right now if IU had contacted Pearl or anyone associated with Pearl. They haven't, that's why he's still at Auburn.

Don't agree with it but Woodson would probably have to give his blessing too.

Edited by Hoosier987

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

my guess would be Ware still goes based on potential and that if Mtaco does not, he transfers.  i could definitely be wrong, but the way kids are these days, i could see him blame the coaches/system for not getting him to 1 and done.  

I can't believe it we agree on another thing. I don't see Ware back at all and I think MM will either turn or or transfer.

McNeely

Reneau 

Cupps 

Sparks 

Gunn 

I could these as the only players back from this year's team. If that doesn't s the case we have to hit on the portal and hopefully get Queen and Davis fro the high school recruits

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Don't agree with it but Woodson would probably have to give his blessing too.

Give Woodson the same BS title they gave Matta, let him sit courtside for every home game, and name an administration lounge after him with a walk-in humidor and on-call catador. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Congrats Mike. Rutgers averages 68.3 points per game (268th in D1). You held them two below their average. 

In this instance, Woodson is right. The defense was good. Rutgers scored a decent amount at the end because we were fouling. IU’s adjusted defensive rating according to Trank vs Rutgers (which accounts for possessions and Rutgers being bad on offense) was 90.6. That’s the equivalent of the 5th ranked defense.

The only major issue on the defensive side of the ball was rebounding. On the offensive side of the ball the issue was everything.

I was taught if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything, unfortunately I am a slow learner. Before anyone says where was he after OSU game. I was at the Colts game having a great time with my family.

I made reference to it after Nebraska about smart play and hard play and some disagreed with that  assessment but I stand behind it. This team might be the dumbest basketball group I have seen on the court ever at IU. Sampsons guys might not be book smart might have been druggies, criminals  etc... but had some basketball knowledge this group not a lick. Not since a 3rd grade game at the YMCA had I seen a player dribble pick up ball then dribble again until Walker last night. He shocked the ref and I just about fell off the couch. That was right after throwing a perfect pass into the back of a Rutgers player that led to a layup the other way. You cannot get outrebounded the way they did last night  and say that anyone is playing hard or smart.

The only differences that I see between the product that Archie put on the floor and what Woodson has on the floor now are:

1. The number of stars next to the players name is greater now.

2. Archies pack line defense gave up tons of wide open shots by design we just give them away now like door prizes.

10 years from now or maybe sooner well hell maybe even now. Coach Tom Crean is going to look like a genius and a hall of famer while at IU in comparison to everyone else. I could live with losing and the antics of Crean to watch those teams. I need a bottle of pepto some strong alcohol if a were a drinker and some type of speed if i did drugs to be able to watch this team game in an out. Boring unfundamental basketball at its best.  If you want to have fun watching college basketball and stay in state the product on the floor at ISU is much more entertaining. Not sure how but somehow they found players that can not only shoot but make shots and they play fairly smart.  Last night I watched until the under 12 timeout of the second half and in that time I saw more air ball 3's shot than 3's made by Indiana. It truly is hard to shoot an airball or at least for me it was.  

20240106_184444.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

In this instance, Woodson is right. The defense was good. Rutgers scored a decent amount at the end because we were fouling. IU’s adjusted defensive rating according to Trank vs Rutgers (which accounts for possessions and Rutgers being bad on offense) was 90.6. That’s the equivalent of the 5th ranked defense.

The only major issue on the defensive side of the ball was rebounding. On the offensive side of the ball the issue was everything.

All well and good, but Rutgers has scored 66 or less in seven of their fifteen games this year.