Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

18 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I don’t think you need athleticism to rebound well. Towson and St Mary’s are top 5 in offensive rebound rate, most of the top 10 defensive rebounding schools are smaller schools (like army), or schools that aren’t necessarily athletic like Wisconsin.

Athleticism and size help. But it starts with basic stuff like boxing out and effort.

If you watched Sparks in the 2-3 minutes he played, you’ll see a guy who puts a body on a guy and boxes him out of the lane. Its textbook. If you watch everyone else, you see standing near the basket, jumping at the ball. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

How are we so tall and play such big lineups yet consistently so bad at rebounding?  I feel like those things shouldn’t even be possible

Rebounding is about effort.  My oldest played as a freshman, first off the bench because of her effort on rebounds.  She wasn’t the tallest, though has a decent wingspan, but her effort was I own that ball and you can’t have it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They are paid a decent amount of money to say "Yes sir".

I agree with you. They’re “yes sirs” and I made that point last week. We need someone in there that isn’t a “yes sir” all the time…A good leader/CEO wants different inputs. 

Here's my 2 cent contribution to the postgame thread. I was courtside for first few years with Crean. I was 17 rows back under all of Archie. This loss given the schedule and what's coming is as embarrassing as it gets. The whole operation better figure out real quick what it takes to represent that jersey. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I agree with you. They’re “yes sirs” and I made that point last week. We need someone in there that isn’t a “yes sir” all the time…A good leader/CEO wants different inputs. 

Dane Fife…. 🤷🏻‍♂️. And I know nothing of what happened with him, but maybe he was too much of the opposite and maybe knew a little more about everything than we want to give him credit.

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Actually…someone asked a pointed question. Typical Woodson response though. At one point he played all 5 subs together.

28303326-6637-4DA7-919D-00DACB48BA87.jpeg

I've tried to stay positive about Woodson, but if his answer to that question is anything but, "because my starters were playing like hot garbage", he needs to go. That or some variation of it, is the only acceptable answer.

29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m really tired of the young team thing. IA ST just beat #2 Houston. In the post game one of their players said “we’re a really young team that keeps growing.” Well that really young team just beat the only remaining unbeaten team. 

Iowa State was at home, 4 of their top 6 players are upper class men, their SOS is 238 (ours is 55th)...

nothing will change, no one will be held accountable, the same guys will play, Woodson will sub in 4 new guys about 5 minutes into the game regardless of score/situation, free throws will be missed, etc.  This will continue to happen until this awful coach and staff are shown the door.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

nothing will change, no one will be held accountable, the same guys will play, Woodson will sub in 4 new guys about 5 minutes into the game regardless of score/situation, free throws will be missed, etc.  This will continue to happen until this awful coach and staff are shown the door.

Why would Woodson hold anyone accountable when he doesn’t hold himself accountable?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rico said:

Woody ball ain't workin'

Nope, wasn't really in favor of the hire but I was still going to support him. I thought maybe bringing back an IU person might be what it would take to bring everyone together. After last year I thought he might have turned the corner but his roster construction this year is horrible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Last Woodson post game quote I’ll share…you can’t make this up. He may have been coached by Coach Knight but he does and acts almost exactly opposite. 

369F7976-B81B-4F39-89B9-E26059F2FB5B.jpeg

This right here is when I get frustrated. It shows me we truly hired a guy who is at his end… Doing his hobby at his Alma Mater but really doesn’t have it. This is the remark that turns people off. You can’t truly tell me this performance was good. 

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Really apparent at this point that neither Mgbako or Ware are NBA ready... I think we'll see them both back next year...Ware had decent numbers (13 points, 17 boards), but he looked like he was just throwing the ball at the basket... 

But our senior leadership leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to getting this young team to play on the road... 

If I was the coach, XJ would sit the next game as well... 

IMO and the thing that stands out the most right now is…

We are in desperate need of consistent player leadership from guys like XJ. The Ohio St. performance was what XJ can do and we should be seeing on a consistent basis. I’m not saying he hasn’t, but today seemed unimpressive, selfish, stale, and rudder-less. 

• Like 3