Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

How are we so tall and play such big lineups yet consistently so bad at rebounding?  I feel like those things shouldn’t even be possible

Because we are incredibly unathletic. It was apparent against Miami last year and we did absolutely nothing to address it.

A lot of games this year have been inexcusable performances, what this staff did in the offseason was worse. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There have been worse but tonight wasn't very good.  I know this is the optimistic part of our fanbase as far as online presence goes, so I have been treading lightly this year because I know people didn't want to hear it, but tonight wasn't a surprise.  We haven't played very well all year.  We are on life support and are going to need to see a miracle to make the NCAA tournament this year.

I think the thing that is most frustrating is that our team and staff has done the definition of insanity for 3 years now.  It is the same mistakes and from year to year and game to game.  Woodson isn't going anywhere next year but some of the assistants need to go.  Something needs a shake up.  (And I am not talking guys like Calbert and Jordy, I mean actual named bench assistants.  They need to bring in a teacher instead of having 3 recruiters.)

The tournament? There’s more than a chance this team finishes dead last in the B10. This is the type of game that loses a locker room, and we weren’t very good to begin with. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m really tired of the young team thing. IA ST just beat #2 Houston. In the post game one of their players said “we’re a really young team that keeps growing.” Well that really young team just beat the only remaining unbeaten team. 

Amen. And we will be young again next year when we turn the roster over. Most teams in cbb are young. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just sent my email to Dolson. I know the ridicule will come but this is just an unacceptable performance. The problem is we see ing this kind of performance by o much this year 

Whatever floats your boat, but unless you have a couple million to spare, he won't care.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Really apparent at this point that neither Mgbako or Ware are NBA ready... I think we'll see them both back next year...Ware had decent numbers (13 points, 17 boards), but he looked like he was just throwing the ball at the basket... 

But our senior leadership leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to getting this young team to play on the road... 

If I was the coach, XJ would sit the next game as well... 

X should never put the IU uniform again. This is at least strike 3 and your out

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There have been worse but tonight wasn't very good.  I know this is the optimistic part of our fanbase as far as online presence goes, so I have been treading lightly this year because I know people didn't want to hear it, but tonight wasn't a surprise.  We haven't played very well all year.  We are on life support and are going to need to see a miracle to make the NCAA tournament this year.

I think the thing that is most frustrating is that our team and staff has done the definition of insanity for 3 years now.  It is the same mistakes and from year to year and game to game.  Woodson isn't going anywhere next year but some of the assistants need to go.  Something needs a shake up.  (And I am not talking guys like Calbert and Jordy, I mean actual named bench assistants.  They need to bring in a teacher instead of having 3 recruiters.)

There’s A LOT that needs to change from a personnel perspective if we’re going to be any better next year. But good thing Woody knows more than the rest of us and can handle it. Maybe he’s still in the testing phase and will start coaching for real here soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Really apparent at this point that neither Mgbako or Ware are NBA ready... I think we'll see them both back next year...Ware had decent numbers (13 points, 17 boards), but he looked like he was just throwing the ball at the basket... 

But our senior leadership leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to getting this young team to play on the road... 

If I was the coach, XJ would sit the next game as well... 

I agree with you about Ware and Mgbako not being NBA ready, but I have a hard time seeing either of them coming back. Maybe I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

How are we so tall and play such big lineups yet consistently so bad at rebounding?  I feel like those things shouldn’t even be possible

Being tall doesn't guarantee getting rebounds. It is about effort a fundamentals of blocking our.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Because we are incredibly unathletic. It was apparent against Miami last year and we did absolutely nothing to address it.

A lot of games this year have been inexcusable performances, what this staff did in the offseason was worse. 

I don’t think you need athleticism to rebound well. Towson and St Mary’s are top 5 in offensive rebound rate, most of the top 10 defensive rebounding schools are smaller schools (like army), or schools that aren’t necessarily athletic like Wisconsin.

Athleticism and size help. But it starts with basic stuff like boxing out and effort.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I don’t think you need athleticism to rebound well. Towson and St Mary’s are top 5 in offensive rebound rate, most of the top 10 defensive rebounding schools are smaller schools (like army), or schools that aren’t necessarily athletic like Wisconsin.

Athleticism and size help. But it starts with basic stuff like boxing out and effort.

That’s fair. We’ve been a below average to bad rebounding team the entirety of Woodson’s tenure, despite having some really talented bigs. Who’s fault is that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

The tournament? There’s more than a chance this team finishes dead last in the B10. This is the type of game that loses a locker room, and we weren’t very good to begin with. 

We won't be dead last, we are going to be that around .500 type of "meh" team that we have been for most of the past 20 years.  The type that gets an invite to the NIT and then gets soundly beaten by a team we should be better than in the first or second round because nobody but nobody at Indiana gives a rat's hind end about being in that loser tournament.

Then we get to the most exciting part of our season where we get all excited about the portal and delude ourselves into thinking that next year we get things turned around. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree with you about Ware and Mgbako not being NBA ready, but I have a hard time seeing either of them coming back. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I’m not sure how much I care about either to be honest. Hate to sound crazy, but Ware has zero fire and MR might as well just stand on the offensive end the whole time he’s in the game. He doesn’t rebound or play much D typically. Mgbako? Good lord. We’re hurting….. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

That’s fair. We’ve been a below average to bad rebounding team the entirety of Woodson’s tenure, despite having some really talented bigs. Who’s fault is that?

Coaches for sure. If it were a one year thing you could blame it on the players, but it’s clearly something that’s not taught well or emphasized as a part of the system.

• Like 2

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

We won't be dead last, we are going to be that around .500 type of "meh" team that we have been for most of the past 20 years.  The type that gets an invite to the NIT and then gets soundly beaten by a team we should be better than in the first or second round because nobody but nobody at Indiana gives a rat's hind end about being in that loser tournament.

Then we get to the most exciting part of our season where we get all excited about the portal and delude ourselves into thinking that next year we get things turned around. 

.500? We won’t win another road game this year and have 3-4 more home losses. We might not finish dead last but this team will be playing on Wed of the BTT.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Whatever floats your boat, but unless you have a couple million to spare, he won't care.

Well it worked with Allen who was still owed 20 mil.

I know he isn't going anywhere but it is time for some changes in the assistant coaching staff. It seems all 3 are more in the bench because of recruiting and not player development 

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

There’s A LOT that needs to change from a personnel perspective if we’re going to be any better next year. But good thing Woody knows more than the rest of us and can handle it. Maybe he’s still in the testing phase and will start coaching for real here soon.

For quite some time, I’ve felt that Woodson thought this would be a lot easier. When he first took the job, all he talked about was being an NBA guy and I don’t think he’d really followed the college game for years. I don’t think he was hungry enough to fully embrace what’s required today to be successful in CBB. I think he was and is a bit arrogant about it all. 
I fully believe he wants to win big at Indiana, but he doesn’t really want to adapt and work hard enough to do that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m not sure how much I care about either to be honest. Hate to sound crazy, but Ware has zero fire and MR might as well just stand on the offensive end the whole time he’s in the game. He doesn’t rebound or play much D typically. Mgbako? Good lord. We’re hurting….. 

Maybe Dana did know more than a few on here thought.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I need to think on that to make sure I’m not being reactionary, but this may be the correct take. 

Well this one s the second time he bagged another player so it isn't an isolated event. He drove 100mph in a 40 zone on Walnut. He was part of the Chicago 5

• Like 2

Most NBA players are elite in at least one area. Does IU have a player who is above average in any area?  
Not shooting

Not rebounding

Not defending

Not effort

Not b-ball IQ

Most of those things should be able to be improved upon but I have no faith that they will be. 

• Like 1

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

.500? We won’t win another road game this year and have 3-4 more home losses. We might not finish dead last but this team will be playing on Wed of the BTT.

The Big Ten is pretty awful this year.  I think we can get to .500 but really at that point, who cares.  

• Like 1