Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

I did not get to watch the game as I don't have a Peacock subscription. I did watch a Kent Sterling video and man was he brutal about Ius 6th year senior pg!! He does make a lot of good points, such as Peeuuu going to Nebraska and kicking the sh*t out them because the players have bought in to what CMP is selling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I did not get to watch the game as I don't have a Peacock subscription. I did watch a Kent Sterling video and man was he brutal about Ius 6th year senior pg!! He does make a lot of good points, such as Peeuuu going to Nebraska and kicking the sh*t out them because the players have bought in to what CMP is selling.

He said WHAT about Turdue?!!! From the box score, it appears they are nearly as mentally soft as IU.

The frustration comes from knowing the reason for losing is lack of fundamental understanding and execution. 

You don't have to be a five star talent to shoot a reasonable percent of your free throws. You don't have to be a physical or athletic freak to block out your opponent.

The team is young for the most part. They haven't played together very long. Readily available excuses that apply to a lot of teams who still have success. That falls to the coaches.

CMW is well intentioned but his approach this season is not working. Every player on the team has significant holes in their game. That doesn't excuse how many of them do not know the difference between a good shot and a bad shot. Doesn't excuse careless turnovers. Doesn't excuse their refusal to block out. Doesn't excuse how easily they get lost on defense and refusal to stay with shooters. This falls on the coaches.

My guess is CMW had to make promises to get some of these kids. Promises to let them play through mistakes. Sadly, it has tied his hands and forces him to tolerate poor play and frankly some selfish play. 

There is a laundry list of issues with this team, and in all fairness they could still grow and develop, but the inability or unwillingness to do the basics stands out the most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Present: i did not want to reward Peacock or some of these other streaming services and was hoping to stop the trend, but the KC fans and “swifties” will watch the playoff  game and give them enough of a boost that this will continue. I can say what little I did listen to, the great Don Fischer seemed disappointed, and who wants to disappoint him? This was an awful game and we can’t help feeling like we are trending in a bad direction.

Short Term: beating Minnesota doesn’t move the needle for me, but losing to them does..

Long Term: McNeely coming in, but what guards are we in good position with? What’s going to reverse these trends if we keep CMW? And, after years of watching replays of the Wat Shot, and the embarrassing re-creation, we are trending in a really bad direction to think about resuming our series with UK next season. At the current trend, that is not going to be a good thing, unless something changes for the better. 

Edited by Rev_AK
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Soft! 
Gotta match the physical play & toughness of Nebraska 

West Laf not as bad as Bloomington but the school campus culture is SOFT and hard men don't want be around SOFT....IU will never be hard again...  

when last time San Francisco won....

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

I’m convinced these beat writers read this board and are just now starting to side with those of us that seen the red flags early on in the season.

I was going to say…with Rabjohns stating this, it’s getting pretty bad. Wish they started calling this nonsense out earlier.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawg Bawls said:

West Laf not as bad as Bloomington but the school campus culture is SOFT and hard men don't want be around SOFT....IU will never be hard again...  

when last time San Francisco won....

San Francisco has had two sports win 3+ titles in the past 15 seasons. Maybe not the best example. 

Edited by KoB2011

6 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I was going to say…with Rabjohns stating this, it’s getting pretty bad. Wish they started calling this nonsense out earlier.

They have brought this up at post-game pressers and he usually says something like: it didn’t work out this time, but the bench has given us a boost in the past. The obvious issue with the reply is that he uses an anomaly as proof that it works. Because a line-up with 4 starters on the bench only had a positive +/- once. Never mind the fact that it didn’t work the 9 or 10 other times. 

But I’m sure if those +/- stats were brought up, he’d say something like: ‘well the starters need rest’ and ignore that there’s a strategy pretty much all other college teams use called rotations. 

I don’t know how any coach is supposed to reply after a bad loss. Izzo is one of the best coaches in history and just looked like a giant doofus early this week. But at least he showed some fire.

I think Woody’s post game comments bother me because they are so lackadaisical and his teams are playing so lackadaisical. From the outside it just seems like a culture of apathy. When you don’t have upperclassman who can lead the team, I think the coaching staff needs to pick up some of that slack. And if the staff can’t take accountability for their miscues, how are the players supposed to take accountability for their poor focus and execution?

The same basic problems persist. I’m not talking about problems related to athleticism or skill because you can’t change that in a season. I’m talking about basic fundamentals and focus. Some things are excusable. Effort is not. One or two games is an anomaly and the players need to take responsibility, but when it’s a trend, that is on the coaches. 

• Like 5

I would love to know more about the sequence to end the first half? If I remember correctly, we got the ball back tied with 27 seconds left and Woodson called a timeout. 

On the ensuing play, XJ started the offense WAY to early and ended up forcing a drive in traffic and turned the ball over with a little over 5 seconds left. 

Rutgers ended up hitting a buzzer beater to go up 3 at half and gain some momentum. 

Obviously a horrendous play by XJ who is supposed to be your 6th year point guard. 

Would love to know what was discussed in the timeout? There's absolutely no way Rutgers should ever get the ball back in that situation. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would love to know more about the sequence to end the first half? If I remember correctly, we got the ball back tied with 27 seconds left and Woodson called a timeout. 

On the ensuing play, XJ started the offense WAY to early and ended up forcing a drive in traffic and turned the ball over with a little over 5 seconds left. 

Rutgers ended up hitting a buzzer beater to go up 3 at half and gain some momentum. 

Obviously a horrendous play by XJ who is supposed to be your 6th year point guard. 

Would love to know what was discussed in the timeout? There's absolutely no way Rutgers should ever get the ball back in that situation. 

X should not play next game and it should be marked: coaches decision. Plain and simple.

First game back was excusable. Second game back shows why we missed him. This last game, not only did he violate another dude by cupping his butthole, he (as in the case you brought up) was most likely ignoring some play calling. 

I talked about accountability above. I’d like to see some. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I flat-out DO NOT understand how any of you hated Crean. Wild to me. 

Could maybe understand "it's probably time to move on", but hated? Dude his teams were SOOO FUN to watch. 

Probably the wrong word, yes I was ready for a change but they scored f-ing points.  To me, Woodson is very similar to Archie in the defense and lack of offense he runs from what I’ve watched.  I like Woody as a person but boy oh boy he better right this ship real quick.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Xavier Johnson is as frustrating to watch as Bracey Wright. Physical tools galore, when he's good, he's an All-Conference level player. 

He is inconsistent and a mental midget. 

A bit off topic, but after listening to a few Hoosier hysterics interviews, I feel a bit bad for hating on Bracey. First, Killingsworth said that Davis told Bracey shoot basically whenever he was open. He even told Bracey to shoot more. 

Thinking that Killingsworth had a bone to pick with Davis, I took that with a grain of salt. 

And then in the Mike Davis interview, Davis confirmed what Killingsworth said. And he admitted to failing some of the players on that team. 

And when Bracey was interviewed, he said the same thing. He was asked to do a lot of things he was not ready for or comfortable with. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Probably the wrong word, yes I was ready for a change but they scored f-ing points.  To me, Woodson is very similar to Archie in the defense and lack of offense he runs from what I’ve watched.  I like Woody as a person but boy oh boy he better right this ship real quick.

Not possible! I hated the hire and quite frankly I hope we continue to play like crap so a change will be made.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anyone with enough common sense or brains to make the right hire. 

You have dumb and dumber coaching and leading the athletic department.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

San Francisco has had two sports win 3+ titles in the past 15 seasons. Maybe not the best example. 

I am pretty sure he was talking about basketball. They won two championships back in the 50's and haven't won another since