Purdue Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, January 16th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: Peacock

In his 19th season at the helm Matt Painter (418-200) leads his 1st ranked (although that will probably change Monday) Boilermakers (14-2 3-2 in Big 10 play) into SSAH to meet our Hoosiers. They do have a game today at home versus Penn State (2:15 PM BTN)

image.png.7f7a19e8c69377eefa275b844a5724ab.png

image.png.6dbae6c834e1ae2b361b22b74101aac6.png

image.png.f0675a2e6492e67cfb6c8caabc043709.png

image.png.d85e89f74c286593c12856648ae95e78.png

Led of course by last years National Player of the Year, Zach Edey. Edey is a tough cover for any team. If he gets it within 7 feet of the rim, you can pretty much count it. Good rebounder for not being super athletic, and a decent passer. Blocks 2 shots per, but not an elite shot blocker. He's joined in the staring lineup by 6'0 sophomore point guard Braeden Smith (13 ppg 47% from 3 7 apg), 6'4 sophomore guard Fletcher Loyer (11 ppg 41% from 3), 6'1 senior transfer (Southern Illinois) Lance Jones (11 ppg 31% from 3), and 6'9 redshirt sophomore Trey Kaufman-Renn (8 ppg and 5 rpg). 

Holdovers Mason Gillis (6 ppg 53% from 3), Caleb Furst (3 ppg) Cam Heide (4 ppg), and Ethan Morton (1 ppg) see double digit minutes off the bench...6'5 freshman guard Myles Colvin (4 ppg 39% from 3) sees spot minutes.

Tall order here, though Purdue has had their road woes like everyone else so far in this conference season, losing at Northwestern and getting blistered by Nebraska in Lincoln. Edey will get his, but we have to guard the perimeter better than we have been. We also have to limit second looks as Purdue is one of the better offensive rebounding teams in the Big 10.

We'll have our hands full, but Woody seems to know what buttons to push as we have won the last 3 meetings. 

I think our backcourt matches up well, especially if XJ can get his head screwed on straight. If not, Cupps vs Smith should be entertaining. Kaufman-Renn and Reneau should be another good matchup to watch...

Need a team effort, stout defense, limit stupid turnovers, and at least be competitive on the boards for us to win...We'll have our crowd, and I'm sure Assembly Hall will be rocking...

We can do it...

GO HOOSIERS!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

We have a good chance here. SSAH is the best home court in college basketball and it will be rocking. I will stop short of predicting a win, but I do predict we put ourselves in a position to win. Can we close the deal?  We will find out. 

This would be a huge win for March and setting us up for the rest of the season. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

i mean i think we can all be optimistic based on last year right?  our guards really overwhelmed their guards defensively.  in theory it was JHS and Galloway dominating Loyer and Smith right?  XJ should be able to do the same as JHS on that end?  have those two guards improved tremendously?  i hate the SMELLERMAKERS as much as anyone alive.  seems Reneau or Ware would be a tough matchup for Edey.  i am for giving Sparks a few minutes a half in this one.  really really want to win this one.  

• Like 1

@Stlboiler23 and @Purdue7, was driving to my daughter's sporting event today and listened to the end if the PU & PSU game.  When Furst had a bucket at the end, they said it was his 7th point and a season high....?  

I know his minutes are reduced, but that surprised me.  Any thoughts whether or not he may hit the portal?

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@Stlboiler23 and @Purdue7, was driving to my daughter's sporting event today and listened to the end if the PU & PSU game.  When Furst had a bucket at the end, they said it was his 7th point and a season high....?  

I know his minutes are reduced, but that surprised me.  Any thoughts whether or not he may hit the portal?

I think it’s just a case of having a lot of really capable front-court guys this year tbh. That question was asked (about him transferring) in a chat the other day and it sounds like his plan is to go to med school after Purdue so I’d imagine he’ll stay. Gillis is playing really well and shooting at a high percentage and TKR has been more consistent than Furst IMO. Even Heide has been coming on lately too. Will be more minutes available next year I’d imagine and it seems like he’s okay with his role right now. But in this day and age, you never know re transfer portal. 

Just checked and he’s only playing about 12 mpg, TKR is at 17, Gillis is at 19, and Heide is at 12. A lot is matchup-dependent but the minutes at the 4 are spread around quite a bit. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Thanks 1

Rebounding/Turnovers/free throws/3pt line…I know it’s the usual things but we keep all those close…we win…I hope our guards get their heads out of their butts…gotta get it together because it’s a big step up in competition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Rebounding/Turnovers/free throws/3pt line…I know it’s the usual things but we keep all those close…we win…I hope our guards get their heads out of their butts…gotta get it together because it’s a big step up in competition.

My fear is for two main reasons:

1. We aren’t good on the road.

2. This is a big game for your tournament resume. 

12 minutes ago, rico said:

I think one of the keys to a victory will be if Galloway can consistently beat his defender.

I’m guessing Loyer will be on him I’d imagine so probably haha. Loyer isn’t great on defense. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

29 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My fear is for two main reasons:

1. We aren’t good on the road.

2. This is a big game for your tournament resume. 

Well we score a majority of our points in the paint…I imagine Reneau and Ware will be in foul trouble and eliminate our usual advantage. Always a good game so I guess we just see how it goes!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If I'm being honest, I don't mind him as analyst, and think he is one of the better ones in college basketball currently. And I agree with you, he will probably get the gig.

I like him for non-Purdue games...

He was the analyst yesterday in the Penn St-Purdue game and he gets a little overly effusive when Purdue is playing well...

Bardo's the same way...I do remember his voice tinged with first frustration and then sadness when we visited Champaign last year :) 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I like him for non-Purdue games...

He was the analyst yesterday in the Penn St-Purdue game and he gets a little over effusive when Purdue is playing well...

Bardo's the same way...I do remember his voice tinged with first frustration and then sadness when we visited Champaign last year :) 

That’s mild compared to this board.

• Haha 2