Purdue Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

55 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Good point, but I can't think of that many guys that have size that matches up. 

Ok, how about Bryant Reeves?  The inspiration for my nickname when I played. I was basically an offensive lineman running around on a basketball floor. 

If nothing else, I smiled reminiscing about Big Country.  🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

If nothing else, I smiled reminiscing about Big Country.  🤣

That was my nickname in high school....until my coach called me big c%<t by accident.  I was Jimmy chitwood who could shoot but sucked in games. 

Edit: careful on the language, my man.  😁

13 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I wonder if TJD's would look much different? And no doubt Trayce is far more skilled.

Just not sure taking shots outside your wheelhouse is a great indicator.

No, it probably wouldn't... But Trayce is getting minutes in the NBA because of everything else he brings... 

But the chart was posted just to drive home the point that I'd basically never seen Edey shoot from more than 7 feet from the hoop... 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:32 PM, rico said:

I think one of the keys to a victory will be if Galloway can consistently beat his defender.

TG on DHO or Zoom action is a nightmare.  Downhill into the lane for that killer floater or a lob 

He played great on D last year blowing up handoffs and frustrating Purdue guards 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The argument was that when he’s more than 3 feet from the basket, he can’t shoot or get offensive rebounds which are both false. He can absolutely do both (and does them well). I think it’s both the size and skill. How many guys his size have the coordination, touch, footwork, stamina, endurance, etc? And yes Shaq would smoke Edey but so what? What an odd hypothetical. 

I’d agree with the rebounding, but his two point shooting outside of rim shots significantly drops off - as it does with every player. Here are Edey’s shooting splits via Bart torvik:

• Dunks: 48/49 (98.0%)
  • Non-dunk rim shots: 39/55 (71.0%)
  • Other 2 point shots: 40/93 (43.0%)

I’m not 100% sure how he defines each grouping, but I’d imagined a rim shot would likely be in the ballpark of 5 feet or less.

Regardless, his efficiency is not good outside of rim shots. Again, that’s normal for most players, but it’s not like Edey has magical touch that’s allowing him to hit 10 footers. He’s just really good at establishing deep post position, and getting rebounds which gets him right at the rim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The argument was that when he’s more than 3 feet from the basket, he can’t shoot or get offensive rebounds which are both false. He can absolutely do both (and does them well). I think it’s both the size and skill. How many guys his size have the coordination, touch, footwork, stamina, endurance, etc? And yes Shaq would smoke Edey but so what? What an odd hypothetical. 

Endurance and stamina maybe, but coordination, touch and footwork…cmon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It won't happen, so it's easy to dismiss it, but is there anyone one on this board, that would honestly not be excited about it, if Edey hit the portal this offseason and wanted to come to IU.

I've brought this up before and folks managed to find a way to say they wouldn't want him. 

Edey will be the third player we've played this year that is Top 10 in KenPom POTY standings, the other two being Broome and Dickinson. We managed to force those two to have among their worst games of the year.

Edey is a completely different beast, but that is encouraging. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

No, it probably wouldn't... But Trayce is getting minutes in the NBA because of everything else he brings... 

But the chart was posted just to drive home the point that I'd basically never seen Edey shoot from more than 7 feet from the hoop... 

Apparently from your chart, he has, although not very successfully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Edey gets so much attention because he is an anomaly. With the way the game is played now, he is the exception. Cannot imagine him being successful when the game was big man centric. He would have struggled v not only Shaq, but Hakeem, David Robinson, Duncan… basically any of the bigs when bigs were the focus of offenses.

Edey is a slightly more skilled Bill Wennington.

Wennington could shoot from 15 feet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

That was my nickname in high school....until my coach called me big c%<t by accident.  I was Jimmy chitwood who could shoot but sucked in games. 

Edit: careful on the language, my man.  😁

Sorry @bluegrassIU

My coach actually yelled that at me during a game with some other unacceptable language.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I've brought this up before and folks managed to find a way to say they wouldn't want him. 

oh god, could you imagine this board. Edey and Malik clogging up the middle, not shooting threes. I think this is even your biggest gripe. It would be worse next year.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

ESPN gives IU a 15% chance

I like our chances..... Not gonna lie, there is always something special about being the favorite. However, being the underdog always fuels you play harder with the opportunity to upset the favorite.