Purdue Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think this matchup is tailor made for Sparks. He has the strength to not be pushed/ trampled over by Edey. This is the game we have him on the roster for. I expect 5 minutes /half and 4 rebounds. Doesn't need to score, just keep his body between Edey and the basket. 

see, on one hand i agree, but on the other hand, it's probably not a great idea to try to beat Edey at his own game.  no one is that tall and good enough to beat him at his own game.  he can easily guard Sparks and just plant in the lane.  much tougher for him to guard Ware or Reneau.  will be interesting.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, on one hand i agree, but on the other hand, it's probably not a great idea to try to beat Edey at his own game.  no one is that tall and good enough to beat him at his own game.  he can easily guard Sparks and just plant in the lane.  much tougher for him to guard Ware or Reneau.  will be interesting.  

If Sparks can use his strength to keep him away from the basket, then mission accomplished. He can’t shoot or get offensive rebounds when he’s more than 3ft away from the basket…he’s not that skilled. Again, 5-7 minutes per half is all we need. I’’m sure CMW has a plan.

• Like 2

Concerning the Sparks controversy did anyone else notice in the Rutgers game when he boxed out his man and moved him like 6’? I was surprised a foul wasn’t called! Payton doesn’t need offense with Edy he just needs put himself in Edy’s way to open up the inside for others! Maybe wishful thinking but I’m hoping for a career game from Payton because I think Ware and his weaknesses will be null against Edy!

Ware will be in foul trouble, along with Malik within the 1st 10 minutes.

Since we're all "fantasizing" about how to play Edey. If you take Cupps and double team Edey in front, Edey will run him over. After 3 times, you MIGHT get a foul called on Edey, but most likely they would call it on Cupps for blocking.

I agree you don't beat Edey by playing his game. 

On 1/13/2024 at 9:51 AM, Parakeet Jones said:

We have a good chance here. SSAH is the best home court in college basketball and it will be rocking. I will stop short of predicting a win, but I do predict we put ourselves in a position to win. Can we close the deal?  We will find out. 

This would be a huge win for March and setting us up for the rest of the season. 

IU can absolutely win this game.  More athletic.  Limit mistakes, box out and win. 

BTW Allen Field House is the best college arena, SSAH is close second…go Hoosiers.

Re: the Sparks talk, I think we would be better with Reneau at the 5 when Ware rests.

Sparks isn’t going to push Edey around, he’s 30-40 lbs smaller. That’s going to go really bad for us.

Reneau at the 5 and Walker at the 4 could make Purdue more uncomfortable with how they guard us. Edey will get his with that lineup, but he’s probably going to get his regardless. Our three point defense has been effective mostly in conference play (we can debate on why it’s been effective, but it has). I’d say let Edey get his and then do a good job on everyone else. We aren’t going yo hold Purdue to 60, but we may be able to outscore them at home. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

If we put Sparks on Edey, I am afraid Edey may drop 50 points. 

That would be an incredible mismatch in Purdue's favor.

I think that's a little unfair to Sparks.  Kid plays his butt off every time he's on the floor.  Edey takes advantage of timidness from guys who have no idea how to handle his size.  With Sparks you could very well have someone that picks up 3 fouls in less than 2 minutes.  Or, you could get someone that takes Edey a little off his game by being aggressive.  

I think it's worth a shot somewhere in the middle of the first half and see how it works.  

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think that's a little unfair to Sparks.  Kid plays his butt off every time he's on the floor.  Edey takes advantage of timidness from guys who have no idea how to handle his size.  With Sparks you could very well have someone that picks up 3 fouls in less than 2 minutes.  Or, you could get someone that takes Edey a little off his game by being aggressive.  

I think it's worth a shot somewhere in the middle of the first half and see how it works.  

i think you have to sparks a little floor time. Just be physical and see what happens. 

Make Edey guard Ware all over the floor and Let Sparks try to post him up.  If Edey guards Reneau or gets switch on him  drive him or space out to the 3.  Both Reneau  and Ware can pull Edey out to the perimeter and allow the other to post up.  Sparks is different than both  He is the only to be physically and have some real size  Have to give him a few minutes

• Like 2

Imo it’ll be tough to stop Edey from scoring. But we just need to make sure we limit his efficiency to some extent and make sure the other PU players don’t have efficient offensive performances

I think you take advantage of Edey by constantly putting him in ball screen coverage when we’re on offense. From what I have seen, Edey pretty much exclusively plays drop coverage on ball screens due to his lack of quickness, which means whoever he’s guarding will have open looks from the perimeter. I’m assuming he’ll guard Ware, so I hope we run a lot of pick and pops with him.

The other big thing is we need to keep Edey and Purdue off the offensive glass as much as we can. Though at this point I’d say that’s a key to the game regardless of who we’re playing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kdug said:

The other big thing is we need to keep Edey and Purdue off the offensive glass as much as we can. Though at this point I’d say that’s a key to the game regardless of who we’re playing.

This is the biggest issue we will have (Bolded Quote).  We haven't kept anyone off the glass so far this year.  I don't see us turning that around just for this game.  As much as i want to put on my Cream and Crimson glasses, i just don't see us winning this one.  But i truly hope to be wrong and eat crow.  Rivalry game, home court, loud crows, #1 team coming to town = Recipe for Upset.  Go Hoosiers

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Drroogh said:

The discussion about X is reminiscent of CAM saying Devonte Green could take IU places nobody else could. Let’s hope we get good X for the rest of the season!

That was the real b!&#h about it though, DG at his best was as good as most guards we've had. The problem was we only saw it in brief moments and he couldnt stay consistant at all. 

I'm genuinely curious why a zone wouldn't work against Purdue occasionally? Protects us from foul trouble (you would hope) and makes anyone not named Edey beat us?

Of course we could just do what we've done in the last 3 of 4 wins vs Purdue which is let Edey get his but nobody else goes off?

I know Coach doesn't like it but maybe a zone or version of one would help a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm genuinely curious why a zone wouldn't work against Purdue occasionally? Protects us from foul trouble (you would hope) and makes anyone not named Edey beat us?

Of course we could just do what we've done in the last 3 of 4 wins vs Purdue which is let Edey get his but nobody else goes off?

I know Coach doesn't like it but maybe a zone or version of one would help a bit.

i get the idea.  i think my concern is that the best way to stop them seems to be overwhelming their guard so they turn it over and struggle to get big man the ball in good position.  zone would make them a little more comfortable i would think.  i also think they are a smart, well coached team that might hurt us from outside vs a zone ... then again everyone hurts us from outside when we play MM!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Re: the Sparks talk, I think we would be better with Reneau at the 5 when Ware rests.

Sparks isn’t going to push Edey around, he’s 30-40 lbs smaller. That’s going to go really bad for us.

Reneau at the 5 and Walker at the 4 could make Purdue more uncomfortable with how they guard us. Edey will get his with that lineup, but he’s probably going to get his regardless. Our three point defense has been effective mostly in conference play (we can debate on why it’s been effective, but it has). I’d say let Edey get his and then do a good job on everyone else. We aren’t going yo hold Purdue to 60, but we may be able to outscore them at home. 

While Sparks weighs less, he has muscle and a lower center of gravity. As a post player, i always had a tougher time against a shorter stockier player that I was not able to root out of position. Payton Sparks will take up space and grab rebounds. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

If Sparks can use his strength to keep him away from the basket, then mission accomplished. He can’t shoot or get offensive rebounds when he’s more than 3ft away from the basket…he’s not that skilled. Again, 5-7 minutes per half is all we need. I’’m sure CMW has a plan.

That’s actually not accurate re him not being able to get offensive rebounds when he’s away from the basket. He’s extremely skilled at rebounding outside of his area. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I think that going zone last year makes more sense than this year because as a team, I believe Purdue is close to 40% from 3. Last year I think they were only at 32% (and was reasons 1, 2, and 3) why we were upset in the tournament. You take your chances of Purdue torching you from 3 versus giving up 2’s with Edey. Its an interesting dilemma. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

One name I omitted from the initial post is 6'7 freshman Cam Heide...

When I watched Purdue play Penn State, the kid looked legit...Shooting 55% from 3, and he's reportedly got a 40 inch vertical...

He’s a stud. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him start next year.