Purdue Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

That’s concerning…Vegas usually is good with these lines. Figured it would be closer to 5 or 6.

Yeah… the real concerning thing is the line that high seems like Vegas wants everyone betting on IU at home. Kinda strange for a game that you would think is tough to predict due to the rivalry and being at SSAH. 

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s actually not accurate re him not being able to get offensive rebounds when he’s away from the basket. He’s extremely skilled at rebounding outside of his area. 

He's 10 feet tall with his arms straight up. I agree he's pretty good at what he does. But using the word skilled is a stretch. He has a SIZEable advantage.  

I wish Shaq was 20 years old right now. He'd smoke Edey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

That’s concerning…Vegas usually is good with these lines. Figured it would be closer to 5 or 6.

I've made 2 illegal bets in my life so I'm not the guy to ask but if I were reading those numbers they want IU fans to jump and that line will be coming down all day tomorrow and probably settle at 6.5-7 range.

• Like 1

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

He's 10 feet tall with his arms straight up. I agree he's pretty good at what he does. But using the word skilled is a stretch. He has a SIZEable advantage.  

Well, to be fair, you are putting him up against an all time great in the history of the game.  

Saying Shaq would eat him alive doesn't really diminish Edey.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The argument was that when he’s more than 3 feet from the basket, he can’t shoot or get offensive rebounds which are both false. He can absolutely do both (and does them well). I think it’s both the size and skill. How many guys his size have the coordination, touch, footwork, stamina, endurance, etc? And yes Shaq would smoke Edey but so what? What an odd hypothetical. 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Well, to be fair, you are putting him up against an all time great in the history of the game.  

Good point, but I can't think of that many guys that have size that matches up. 

Ok, how about Bryant Reeves?  The inspiration for my nickname when I played. I was basically an offensive lineman running around on a basketball floor. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The argument was that when he’s more than 3 feet from the basket, he can’t shoot or get offensive rebounds which are both false. He can absolutely do both (and does them well). I think it’s both the size and skill. How many guys his size have the coordination, touch, footwork, stamina, endurance, etc? And yes Shaq would smoke Edey but so what? What an odd hypothetical. 

Serious question, did you play Varsity Sports?  I understand you're from Carmel so that would be really hard there. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I've watched Edey in a bunch of games over 3 years, and I have honest to God never seen him make a basket more than 7 feet from the basket, excluding free throws of course... 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

I've watched Edey in a bunch of games over 3 years, and I have honest to God never seen him make a basket more than 7 feet from the basket, excluding free throws of course... 

I’m not disagreeing with you there. But there’s a decent difference between 3 feet and 7 feet lol. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Would love to hear what that question has to do with the comment about Edey. 

You ever have to defend, block out, rebound against people bigger and taller than you?  I have. I know the Zeller Family.  I can tell you things that happened in summer ball.

In football, you ever had to pull and block a 270lb defensive lineman?

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You ever have to defend, block out, rebound against people bigger and taller than you?  I have. I know the Zeller Family.  I can tell you things that happened in summer ball.

In football, you ever had to pull and block a 270lb defensive lineman?

Sure have. Played basketball both in school and AAU. Didn’t play football. 

Edey gets so much attention because he is an anomaly. With the way the game is played now, he is the exception. Cannot imagine him being successful when the game was big man centric. He would have struggled v not only Shaq, but Hakeem, David Robinson, Duncan… basically any of the bigs when bigs were the focus of offenses.

Edey is a slightly more skilled Bill Wennington.

34 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

IMG_2640.jpeg.9646bfc1163a10da24808c08ac39c485.jpeg

what about this guy... i think he would make Edey look silly... and ge aint no Shaq... no offense Bigman

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

How many kids did you have to beat to get on the team? What position were you playing for?  

You’re going down a very odd rabbit hole for some weird reason. I played basketball in Carmel even though you don’t think there’s any way in hell lol.