Purdue Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s actually not accurate re him not being able to get offensive rebounds when he’s away from the basket. He’s extremely skilled at rebounding outside of his area. 

Actually, I like our chances, if we can keep him away from the basket.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

While Sparks weighs less, he has muscle and a lower center of gravity. As a post player, i always had a tougher time against a shorter stockier player that I was not able to root out of position. Payton Sparks will take up space and grab rebounds. 

And he knows how to block out !! Right now, the only guy that's demonstrated it consistently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s actually not accurate re him not being able to get offensive rebounds when he’s away from the basket. He’s extremely skilled at rebounding outside of his area pushing people out of the way or going over the back. 

:D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s actually not accurate re him not being able to get offensive rebounds when he’s away from the basket. He’s extremely skilled at rebounding outside of his area pushing people out of the way or making illegal contact with the the back of a player going for a rebound

:D 

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Which results in a foul most of the time.

Absolutely.  I think Lurch isn't called as much as he should be simply because it appears defenders are allowed to be more physical against him.  I think officials let the big boys play more than they should, but if you don't, lots of fans whine about that as well.

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think that going zone last year makes more sense than this year because as a team, I believe Purdue is close to 40% from 3. Last year I think they were only at 32% (and was reasons 1, 2, and 3) why we were upset in the tournament. You take your chances of Purdue torching you from 3 versus giving up 2’s with Edey. Its an interesting dilemma. 

Not that interesting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This article really captures the mismatch this year. I think for IU to be successful, they need to go semi-WI and get perimeter scoring from Ware, Reneau and Mgbako. The guards need to drive on PU's guards and kick out for some pick and pops. 

It's going to be tough, primarily because the three Indiana wins have happened because of superior guard play by the Hoosiers. It's hard to imagine that happening again because the Hoosiers guards are all in a collective funk right now.

We know all about Xavier Johnson's issues. In his four games back, he was great against Ohio State, scoring 18 points and playing 34 minutes without a single turnover. But he's been pretty horrible otherwise. In the other three games, he's 1-for-9 shooting and has 11 turnovers. That's horrible. And after consecutive turnovers against Minnesota, Woodson yanked him and Johnson pouted on the bench. That's not senior leadership.

Freshman Gabe Cupps started Friday, and he started the seven games that Johnson missed with the broken bone in his foot. He's been good defensively, and values every possession, but he's a total non-factor when it comes to scoring on the offensive end. He was 0-for-5 shooting against Minnesota, and there is this amazing stat. He has played 380 minutes this season, but has had only one game out of the 17 — just one game — where he's made more than two shots.

And then there is the clearly puzzling dilemma that is Trey Galloway. And at the free throw line, he suddenly has a case of the yips. It was very concerning on Friday night, watching him panic while missing both of his free throw attempts. 

Most troubling? In the final few minutes when Minnesota was fouling, Woodson put Galloway on the bench so he wouldn't be fouled. He's probably Indiana's most important guard, but Woodson couldn't have him on the floor.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-my-two-cents-can-homecourt-advantage-be-enough-for-indiana-to-beat-purdue-again

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Screenshot_20240115-151700.png.8dda2076ae5f646bb59e72b3b9656f28.png

This is the face Zach Edey makes when

A) He's been fouled

B) He thinks he's been fouled

C) He's been called for a foul

D) On any call that doesn't favor him or Purdue

E) All of the above

🙂

F) Xavier Johnson hits him in the nuts

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

55 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I think it sucks arse they are airing this iconic game on peacock. Trying to make people pay for another channel. Well they can suck my c—-. Pure BS! 

There are many ways to watch games without paying. Also, if you know anyone who does have Peacock, I think you have can have up to three people logged in at once.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 6:29 PM, 5fouls said:

@Stlboiler23 and @Purdue7, was driving to my daughter's sporting event today and listened to the end if the PU & PSU game.  When Furst had a bucket at the end, they said it was his 7th point and a season high....?  

I know his minutes are reduced, but that surprised me.  Any thoughts whether or not he may hit the portal?

Low chance 

he’s super religious so money or fame are not his bag….family is 

Speaking of family….his brother is a walk on 

I thought he was a future 15-10 all conference type by now but he has zero confidence in his shot 

17 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Low chance 

he’s super religious so money or fame are not his bag….family is 

Speaking of family….his brother is a walk on 

I thought he was a future 15-10 all conference type by now but he has zero confidence in his shot 

Yep. Played for the late Mark Davidson at Ft. Wayne Blackhawk Christian. Could not have had a better coach and life mentor.

He went to the wrong school but I cannot dislike Caleb and hope he has success wherever he goes 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

IU opens as a 10 point underdog. Winners of 3/4 in the series. In Bloomington. 10 point dog in this game? My frickin a--

That’s concerning…Vegas usually is good with these lines. Figured it would be closer to 5 or 6.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reacher said:

While Sparks weighs less, he has muscle and a lower center of gravity. As a post player, i always had a tougher time against a shorter stockier player that I was not able to root out of position. Payton Sparks will take up space and grab rebounds. 

I hear ya but who do you think Edey plays that doesn’t have a lower center of gravity?

• Haha 1