Purdue Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

I know a lot of people are down on XJ...But...

He has the physical tools to throw Smith off his game...If all he does is hound Smith on the defensive end, he'll disrupt Purdue's offense...

That's the most important thing we need from him...He needs to get that "I'm gonna get in their heads" BS gone too...

Come on, XJ...That's all we need from you...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

He has the physical tools to throw Smith off his game...If all he does is hound Smith on the defensive end, he'll disrupt Purdue's offense...

That's the most important thing we need from him...He needs to get that "I'm gonna get in their heads" BS gone too...

Amen to this...I'm pulling for X more than ever right now. In terms of game it's an easy prep. Painter/Edey will do the same things they do. For us it's all about the usual suspects. Turnovers/Rebounding and for the love of all things holy make the free ones.

PS something to keep an eye on but when we sub I'm telling Sparks to go in and earn your 5 fouls vs Edey when the time comes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Despite what has been said/written in the last 2-3 weeks, XJ is neither the Savior nor the Antichrist. He's an emotional player that is likely trying too hard, knowing this is his last year. And for those thinking I might be making an excuse for his nuttiness (I'm not), he could also be thinking that his experience gives him the coy ability to get away with some things (it doesn't).

I agree that what he does have - when focused - is the ability to attack and penetrate lanes better than anyone on the team, and the unique ability to pester opposing guards. Especially against Purdue, where Edey will get his own, getting their guards off-rhythm and out of sync can be extremely important.

• Like 7

Just now, Drroogh said:

The discussion about X is reminiscent of CAM saying Devonte Green could take IU places nobody else could. Let’s hope we get good X for the rest of the season!

That's what makes both players (and the conversation) so tantalizing. The mere possibility of them putting "it" together and playing to their physical, mental and emotional potentials is alluring.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

That's what makes both players (and the conversation) so tantalizing. The mere possibility of them putting "it" together and playing to their physical, mental and emotional potentials is alluring.

absolutely.  you just have to decide when enough chances is enough.  i'll say again, there's no debate that for us to hit our ceiling we need him, but he could also easily help us find our floor.  very tough to weigh.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Amen to this...I'm pulling for X more than ever right now. In terms of game it's an easy prep. Painter/Edey will do the same things they do. For us it's all about the usual suspects. Turnovers/Rebounding and for the love of all things holy make the free ones.

PS something to keep an eye on but when we sub I'm telling Sparks to go in and earn your 5 fouls vs Edey when the time comes.

Sparks needs to pound on him and wear him down, but he’ll have to be careful not to get a flagrant foul, because the refs always seem to protect Edey, even though he’s the one usually throwing elbows. Let’s go Sparks! 💪

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Sparks needs to pound on him and wear him down, but he’ll have to be careful not to get a flagrant foul, because the refs always seem to protect Edey, even though he’s the one usually throwing elbows. Let’s go Sparks! 💪

If we put Sparks on Edey, I am afraid Edey may drop 50 points. 

That would be an incredible mismatch in Purdue's favor.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Understand. I'm just saying when he comes in (and he will) to get his moneys worth. 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Sparks get major minutes (I'm certainly not) but I think a few spot minutes of Payton pushing Edey out of his happy spot might be pay dividends. It's not like Edey is a real threat outside of 7 feet from the rim. The things that Sparks brings (strength, toughness and 5 fouls :) ) could be of use.

Kel'el has problems with physical players, and I know Painter has seen that and will attack it...

• Like 3

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Understand. I'm just saying when he comes in (and he will) to get his moneys worth. 

Oh, not a great match up. But if it happen, I 100% agree. Make your presence known big fella.

And truthfully we never know. Last year(game 1) TJD was not a big impact, and Michael Durr made a huge difference.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Sparks get major minutes (I'm certainly not) but I think a few spot minutes of Payton pushing Edey out of his happy spot might be pay dividends. It's not like Edey is a real threat outside of 7 feet from the rim. The things that Sparks brings (strength, toughness and 5 fouls :) ) could be of use.

Kel'el has problems with physical players, and I know Painter has seen that and will attack it...

True. 

Another approach, however would be to NOT try to match up with them. focusing more on using mismatches in our favor. That's what we did last season, twice.

Spread them out. Get Malik and Ware in space. Make Edey deal with our srengths, not vice versa.

Pressure their guards on defense, make the entry pass more difficult.

On offense, use space space space.

And bring back JHS for one game to hit 25 mid range shots.  Haha

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oh, not a great match up. But if it happen, I 100% agree. Make your presence known big fella.

And truthfully we never know. Last year(game 1) TJD was not a big impact, and Michael Durr made a huge difference.

I know at my age how time gets confusing but Durr last year?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

True. 

Another approach, however would be to NOT try to match up with them. focusing more on using mismatches in our favor. That's what we did last season, twice.

Spread them out. Get Malik and Ware in space. Make Edey deal with our srengths, not vice versa.

Pressure their guards on defense, make the entry pass more difficult.

On offense, use space space space.

And bring back JHS for one game to hit 25 mid range shots.  Haha

I suspect we will, but Edey is not going to go out on the perimeter all the time to guard anyone...Like on offense, he's not going to stray too far from the hoop...

The bolded is imperative...

2 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

i kind of like the idea for a couple minutes a half, but not sure we'll see it.  doesn't seem all that common to take a guy who sometimes doesn't even get into games and have him play important minutes in a big game.  i guess in theory he would take Banks and/or Walker minutes.  i'm good with that for matchup purposes, but still hope to use Reneau and Ware big minutes.  

I think this matchup is tailor made for Sparks. He has the strength to not be pushed/ trampled over by Edey. This is the game we have him on the roster for. I expect 5 minutes /half and 4 rebounds. Doesn't need to score, just keep his body between Edey and the basket. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1