Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

9 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

My interest level has completely left. I watched the last 1 second of the first half and that was it. Watched an episode of Survivor from 5 years ago instead. I hate how I personally feel about IU basketball. 

actually hung in until the end.  i'll keep watching, but ugh.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

Someone emailed me and said I was being to negative on here so I didnt post during the game to help them out, no it wasn't any mods, although i'm sure they wished I would shut up. So just the positives. On the pre-game show Woodson, sorry Coach Woodson, said there was no way to stop Edey, that he would get his 30 and 15. I would like to congratulate coach woodson for holding Edey to 26 and 13!!! Way to go Coach earned that $4.2 million tonight!!. I would also like to thank Vegas for the -17 and a hook point spread. Easiest money all year. Although our best Player CJ Gunn had me worried for a second. I would also like to say congrats to Errek Suhr for calling the game over at 11:38 left in the second half but what took so long. Quote "lead is 20 to big to come back, this isn't Ohio St."

nothing wrong with posting your honest opinions.  be positive when we deserve it.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Actually…our season started 3 months ago.

exactly i get his point that last night's loss is no surprise, but we just keep saying we'll get over the hump.  when?  how many games do we really think we win from here on out?  i say two.  

• Like 2

I like CMW but it's fair to ask, what adjustments were made from the game 1 blowout to last night's blowout? 

They don't have the horses to match up with purdue this season. So why continue the normal tempo? Why keep pushing the ball into your next turnover or rushed shot? Why not try other defenses for a time just to save Trey's legs and protect Ware? 

I don't think it changes the outcome but at least it would look like they are trying to find a way to win.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

I like CMW but it's fair to ask, what adjustments were made from the game 1 blowout to last night's blowout? 

They don't have the horses to match up with purdue this season. So why continue the normal tempo? Why keep pushing the ball into your next turnover or rushed shot? Why not try other defenses for a time just to save Trey's legs and protect Ware? 

I don't think it changes the outcome but at least it would look like get are trying to find a way to win.

i like this question.  i'm not even talking about IU here...i've been saying the same thing about HS coaches.  my son's team is blowing out everyone in their conference.  i keep saying i don't know why the second time around these coaches don't try something creative.  they know they can't beat us straight up M vs M.  try a zone?  play a junk D since we have two really good scorers?  speed it up?  slow it down?  doesn't seem like colleges do this in general and i guess HS doesn't do it much either.  i would.  granted most of my experience is HS girls and they are more limited and easier to gameplan against, but i still say why not?

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Woodson gave up last night.  It got bad and he went and sat his @$$ on the bench and just waited for it to be over.  It is an NBA attitude.  "Welp, we just don't have it tonight.  Just got to get through it and do better in the next one."  It is part of why I don't like the NBA.  You got 80+ games and inevitably you have teams that know they don't have "it" and the whole organization acts like it.  That was Indiana last night.

I would have left Woodson in West Lafayette last night if I were Dolson but that won't happen.  So we are stuck with Woodson for next year, you better believe that the conversation on what this is not going to look like going forward would start bright and early this morning.  Hill would be off the payroll next year.  One half asleep guy on the bench is more than enough.  I am already paying for one washed up dude's retirement, I am not doing it for 2 anymore.

There are a few sucker fans out there who are likely going to have Dolson at their door at this time next year begging for another couple million to once again right the University's mistakes.  I hope they are smart enough to put some conditions on that money this next time.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i like this question.  i'm not even talking about IU here...i've been saying the same thing about HS coaches.  my son's team is blowing out everyone in their conference.  i keep saying i don't know why the second time around these coaches don't try something creative.  they know they can't beat us straight up M vs M.  try a zone?  play a junk D since we have two really good scorers?  speed it up?  slow it down?  doesn't seem like colleges do this in general and i guess HS doesn't do it much either.  i would.  granted most of my experience is HS girls and they are more limited and easier to gameplan against, but i still say why not?

It’s the million dollar question. I’ll reiterate some post game analysis from AC. Painter knew what was coming tonight. We walked right into his game plan and made it easy. I think the Purdue guys knew our offense better than we do…….not that it’s hard to learn or anything. 

I don’t know how we can’t execute defensively this late in the season. I don’t know why we get so lost on offense. And to your point, why oh why can’t Woody experiment and implement any sort of change when there’s absolutely no chance of getting back into a game. Throw out a zone. Go to a smaller line up. Have Ware pick and pop on the perimeter and pull Edey out of the middle. Run some set plays for shooters. 

I don’t know. The further we get into games, the tunnel vision of this offense gets narrower and narrower. And we get easier and easier to defend. The only hope for us when we are down more than 10 is playing a team just as inept, like OSU.

Barring a miracle run in tourney (and by miracle I mean all the top seeds crap the bed so we only have to beat bottom dwellers) we are not making the tournament.  We haven’t played back to back games of good basketball, let alone a full 40 minutes of good basketball. 

Can we please now start throwing crap against the wall and see if anything sticks? At least that’d be more entertaining.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

exactly i get his point that last night's loss is no surprise, but we just keep saying we'll get over the hump.  when?  how many games do we really think we win from here on out?  i say two.  

We are #96 in Kenpom. Despite some bad teams…It’s been 13 years since we’ve accomplished this embarrassing feat. Among many things, STYLE OF PLAY MUST CHANGE. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 4

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

We are officially outside the Kenpom top 100. Despite some bad teams…It’s been 13 years since we’ve accomplished this embarrassing feat. Among many things, STYLE OF PLAY MUST CHANGE. 

and with the portal and NIL this is just never acceptable at IU.  just should never be this bad.  and again, this isn't year 1.  it's year 3.  

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Woodson gave up last night.  It got bad and he went and sat his @$$ on the bench and just waited for it to be over.  It is an NBA attitude.  "Welp, we just don't have it tonight.  Just got to get through it and do better in the next one."  It is part of why I don't like the NBA.  You got 80+ games and inevitably you have teams that know they don't have "it" and the whole organization acts like it.  That was Indiana last night.

I would have left Woodson in West Lafayette last night if I were Dolson but that won't happen.  So we are stuck with Woodson for next year, you better believe that the conversation on what this is not going to look like going forward would start bright and early this morning.  Hill would be off the payroll next year.  One half asleep guy on the bench is more than enough.  I am already paying for one washed up dude's retirement, I am not doing it for 2 anymore.

There are a few sucker fans out there who are likely going to have Dolson at their door at this time next year begging for another couple million to once again right the University's mistakes.  I hope they are smart enough to put some conditions on that money this next time.

I hate it as much as anyone but this post is just straight up the facts laid out in front of us.  Age is different for everyone.  But these guys just don't have the pep in their step.  The old saying, "they have forgotten more about basketball than I ever knew," is too true.  We made Braden Smith look like prime Nash.  They could get an open shot after 2 passes on nearly every possession.   We make basketball look really hard.  We have 1.5 guys who can dribble.  It's insane.  Mbako is good for a kick out of bounds at least once a game and twice yesterday.   

• Like 1

Getting blown out by almost every tournament caliber team is just exhausting. If we had this exact same record but managed to play closer games I’d be willing to give more leeway to this team. But this is just unacceptable.

As to this game, it felt like a carbon copy of the home game vs Purdue. We tried to pound it inside like we normally do, almost like we didn’t realize they have a 7’4 dude down low. It’s frustrating because Ware feels like the perfect center to take advantage of Edey’s weaknesses. On offense it would’ve been nice to see some pick and pops with Ware (who is now shooting 45% from 3 on the year) to make Edey close out on shooters, which he’s clearly not comfortable doing. It also takes the best rebounder in the country away from the rim.

Also, just like last game Woodson went with the 2 fouls auto-bench in the first half for Ware. We went from down 4 to down 12 by half, and Ware ended up finishing the game with 2 fouls. Not sure how many times this needs to happen for Woodson to realize that he’s letting games slip away by artificially fouling out his own players.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

Sighting of Brad Stevens at Mother Bears.... 

IMG_2763.thumb.jpeg.b569cddc792fec57141e5ecfa85232a8.jpeg

I know that is a joke but I wouldn't want him to be the next pick either.  He doesn't like recruiting and he hasn't been a college coach in over a decade.  I doubt he would be the answer either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I know that is a joke but I wouldn't want him to be the next pick either.  He doesn't like recruiting and he hasn't been a college coach in over a decade.  I doubt he would be the answer either.

Youre rt on all accounts... i like to poke and joke...

29 minutes ago, Kdug said:

We tried to pound it inside like we normally do, almost like we didn’t realize they have a 7’4 dude down low. 

“You know Don, our strength is inside, but they got that big fella. Mike Woodson has never seen anything like him. I just don’t know how you prepare for a guy like that. But Mike Woodson is here to win championships, I tell ya that. I just gotta get ‘em over the hump Don. Just gotta get ‘em over the hump.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

“You know Don, our strength is inside, but they got that big fella. Mike Woodson has never seen anything like him. I just don’t know how you prepare for a guy like that. But Mike Woodson is here to win championships, I tell ya that. I just gotta get ‘em over the hump Don. Just gotta get ‘em over the hump.”

All seriousness, my concern is if we are climbing over the right hump.