2024 Transfer Portal

34 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I agree, but many would say we’re no longer a blue blood program, but for those doubters it sure looks like we’re poised to reclaim that status.

You have to actually win something first. There are a lot of pro franchises who’ve spent a ton of money in free agency and have nothing to show for it. This is uncharted waters for CBB. I’m glad that IU seems to be finally focused on getting in the game, but there’s no such thing as a “hot stove” championship. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

Duke reaching. Just filled their 13th scholly

I actually think it’s a smart fit. Catch and shoot stretch 4. Doesn’t need the ball in his hands like the young guns. Will be surrounrded by playmakers and he can just spot up, rebound, and play defense. He will be an enforcer type in the ACC finesse conference.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I actually think it’s a smart fit. Catch and shoot stretch 4. Doesn’t need the ball in his hands like the young guns. Will be surrounrded by playmakers and he can just spot up, rebound, and play defense. He will be an enforcer type in the ACC finesse conference.

Veteran leadership on a very young team

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

If he was worth a shit he would still be at purdue, right. I know, I know he was Painted over.

I’d actually say he is worth something which is why he will cash in to go somewhere else. If he was not worth anything than he would just stay where he is. He had options. People may not like him…I get that but he can play a good role…and actually fits better at Duke than he did at Purdue (and he was fine there).

8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Indeed. It’s short sighted money grab. Kids will have no legacy anymore…any connections to an Alma mater etc will be gone because you sold out your schools. Something to be said for staying 4 years and building a lasting legacy and connection to the school that you will carry the rest of your life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You have to actually win something first. There are a lot of pro franchises who’ve spent a ton of money in free agency and have nothing to show for it. This is uncharted waters for CBB. I’m glad that IU seems to be finally focused on getting in the game, but there’s no such thing as a “hot stove” championship. 

Even more likely it ends up with nothing to show. Lots of good teams go 1 and done in NCAA tournament…who knows. I just want to watch enjoyable basketball again.

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d actually say he is worth something which is why he will cash in to go somewhere else. If he was not worth anything than he would just stay where he is. He had options. People may not like him…I get that but he can play a good role…and actually fits better at Duke than he did at Purdue (and he was fine there).

Having watched more Purdue this past season than I ever have in my life, I came to like Gillis as a player. Wouldn’t have complained if he transferred here. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed. It’s short sighted money grab. Kids will have no legacy anymore…any connections to an Alma mater etc will be gone because you sold out your schools. Something to be said for staying 4 years and building a lasting legacy and connection to the school that you will carry the rest of your life.

Or, even 2-3 years. Reneau and MM could have easily bolted, but just playing multiple seasons, they’ll be remembered. 

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Having watched more Purdue this past season than I ever have in my life, I came to like Gillis as a player. Wouldn’t have complained if he transferred here. 

Besides 1981, every IU championship team has had a player from New Castle.  

We should have made it happen.  

35 minutes ago, TiminNC said:

Besides 1981, every IU championship team has had a player from New Castle.  

We should have made it happen.  

Has an IU or Purdue basketball player ever transferred to the other school?  I know it’s happened in football recently. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He didn’t have the option to stay at Purdue though.  Once he told Painter he’d be moving on after the season, CMP recruited accordingly.  He was always going to either play somewhere else or stop playing altogether. 

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Has an IU or Purdue basketball player ever transferred to the other school?  I know it’s happened in football recently. 

Can’t recall one off the top of my head, but we’ve seen Alabama-Auburn and OSU-Michigan transfers this offseason.

19 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is first or second team all conference wherever he decides to go

That would be a pretty huge jump for a guy with a very low usage rate at a mid major. But it could happen.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I can’t see Newton nor Leal getting off the bench if that is the case. Should be bigs from here on out now.

Ironic, isn't having Leal committed one of the reasons IU didn't offer Goode out of HS?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

That would be a pretty huge jump for a guy with a very low usage rate at a mid major. But it could happen.

Ironic, isn't having Leal committed one of the reasons IU didn't offer Goode out of HS?

its not hard to find irony. Kinda like I'm sure Illinois passed on a guy who could have played all of last season, but instead picked up Shannon instead. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

How confident are we that Goode is coming? For some reason I don’t feel good about this…we’ve been fooled by the portal before. Just a few days ago Essegian was a done deal, and look how that turned out.

I only feel better about Goode than Essegian because of the big family connections to IU. His dad and uncle played FB at IU. His brother attends IU right now. His parents apparently have season tix for basketball. And most importantly he wants to attend a business grad school. 

But other than that I know nothing - I'm just sitting back and eating popcorn like the rest of us.  

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I only feel better about Goode than Essegian because of the big family connections to IU. His dad and uncle played FB at IU. His brother attends IU right now. His parents apparently have season tix for basketball. And most importantly he wants to attend a business grad school. 

But other than that I know nothing - I'm just sitting back and eating popcorn like the rest of us.  

Thanks, that really makes me feel better. 🤔

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

How confident are we that Goode is coming? For some reason I don’t feel good about this…we’ve been fooled by the portal before. Just a few days ago Essegian was a done deal, and look how that turned out.

I have no idea, Jamie Shaw seems pretty confident, though.